May 01, 2024, 08:16:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speciality Tools Cross-check

Started by les, September 18, 2016, 05:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

There is a tools section in the back of the 2017 touring service manual.  So, I decided to see how many of my specialty tools are also specified for the 2017 model.

Total of 33 tools will apply forward to the new touring bikes, using my records and cross-checking in the table in the back of the SM.

I'm thinking there are actually more because...yet again...errors in the manual.  For example, they mention the HD-42325 inner cam bearing tool in chapter 4, but it's not in the tool list at the back of the book.

(The errors just keep rolling along...)

Anyway, it's encouraging to see so many tools that will work on the new bikes.

les

The HD-42325 tool that was used for the twin cam inner cam bearing removal and installation had its support plate number as HD-42325-5.  The new support plate number for the single cam is HD-42325-4.  So, the old plate won't work.

les

Would anyone be kind enough to post an engineering drawing of the new cam plate?  Maybe the existing one could be modified with a third center hole and additional thumb screw holes.  Or, one could be made out of 1/2" stock.

FSG

QuoteWould anyone be kind enough to post an engineering drawing of the new cam plate?

not available, yet

QuoteMaybe the existing one could be modified with a third center hole and additional thumb screw holes.

it'd be more trouble than it worth

QuoteOr, one could be made out of 1/2" stock.

yes that's what I'd do

les

I did mean new cam tool support plate, just to be clear. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les

But it might be able to be just shifted up a tad and sneak the center hole in between the two holes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako1

When all else fails
Make your own tools if you have the time, and machine skills
JMO :chop:
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud