May 01, 2024, 09:28:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Exhaust

Started by harleytuner, September 22, 2016, 05:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

September 22, 2016, 05:57:23 AM Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:02:30 AM by harleytuner
It looks like Vance & Hines has a full line of exhaust out now for the M8's.  Power Duals in both chrome and black and about 7 slip on options in both chrome and black. 

edit*  I checked stock at a distributor, they are set to have them in stock in November.

00se

I've been told that the aftermarket dealers will be introducing their M-8 products at Biketoberfest this year.

hattitude

Fuelmoto posted dyno sheets today. With an SE air cleaner, jackpot slip-on mufflers, and new jackpot 2-1-2 header... they gained 10HP & 10TQ over their baseline dyno on an M8.... they are working on their air cleaner and believe there is more to pick up....

They also said that on 9/26 the new firmware and tunes for the PowerVision to support the M8 will be available....

Things are looking up for this M8...

Jako1

The mufflers I am told have cats, the baffles are real short like my 15 had, you can knock the centers open with a screw driver, have some one hold the muffler on the bike so it does not move
The baffle plate looks like a flower petal folded in
Esay to do
The mufflers look the same as 16 models but are different part numbers
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud

hattitude

Quote from: Jako1 on September 23, 2016, 08:26:22 PM
The mufflers I am told have cats, the baffles are real short like my 15 had, you can knock the centers open with a screw driver, have some one hold the muffler on the bike so it does not move
The baffle plate looks like a flower petal folded in
Esay to do
The mufflers look the same as 16 models but are different part numbers

The M8 motors have the CAT in the headpipe, but it is farther towards the rear than the 14-16 models. This requires the right side muffler to have a larger diameter where it bolts to the headpipe....

Jako1

HMMMMM, my mufflers are way different, part number tho they are the same as my 15
The head pipes are different, the O2 sensors are there not in the cat

PoorUB

Hey Jako, do you know anything for sure about the M8 exhaust? :wtf:

The whole exhaust is different from previous years. The cat is in the head pipe, the O2 sensors are in the head pipe, but mounted closer to the engine. The mufflers are different too.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jako1

I stand corrected,  :oops:
I just knocked out my baffle centers
I wonder why the MOCO changed the part number on the mufflers other than the diameter  all else is the same cept the head pipes 02 sensors and moving the cat back, IMO a great idea for my wife  :koolaid:
Now I have a set of Stock 15 Freewheeler mufflers I cannot use    :wtf:

Hossamania

The Moco changed the part numbers because they are different mufflers.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bluerim

I just had my suppertraps taken off a 2013 triglide and installed on a 2017 triglide.

Jako1

The Moco changed the part numbers because they are different mufflers.
Copy that :chop:

SP33DY

I got an announcement from S&S yesterday. They have "high performance" M-8 mufflers ready to ship. "50 state legal".

https://www.sscycle.com/search/#category=1%7CMufflers%20%26%20Exhaust&diameter=4.5%22

harleytuner

got a message from Zipper's yesterday.  They will have Rinehart slip ons in stock very soon as well.

Tommy D

Quote from: SP33DY on October 04, 2016, 06:26:04 AM
I got an announcement from S&S yesterday. They have "high performance" M-8 mufflers ready to ship. "50 state legal".

https://www.sscycle.com/search/#category=1%7CMufflers%20%26%20Exhaust&diameter=4.5%22

If memory serves me right, The MK45 is a different animal than their Race Tour.. IMO 4" Race Tour had a better tone
Acts 4:12

calif phil

Quote from: bluerim on October 02, 2016, 06:55:14 PM
I just had my suppertraps taken off a 2013 triglide and installed on a 2017 triglide.

Did you have to modify them?

92flhtcu

Trike mufflers are the same from 16 to 17 as the cross-over is unique, at least I've had several dealers tell me this
Need a bigger garage

BVHOG

Rinehart slip on's are out and V&H stuff, including a Power dual is scheduled at Drag for Nov 8
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Buglet

Is anyone working on a 2 into 1.

freddie_ray

This is just my opinion, but I really hate the 4 inch and bigger exhaust mufflers. I'm going back to the 3.5  :koolaid3:

Tommy D

Quote from: freddie_ray on October 18, 2016, 08:04:07 AM
This is just my opinion, but I really hate the 4 inch and bigger exhaust mufflers. I'm going back to the 3.5  :koolaid3:

C'mon now, Fat is where its at  :teeth:
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/BUB_Design_Boom_Can_Slip_on_Mufflers_for_Harley_Da_p/d5-1002c.htm
Acts 4:12

Rokinrider

I liked my 3.5" Rinehart on my 16, waiting a few months to see what comes out this winter!
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

Jammer53

The internet is full of Kowardly Keyboard Kommandos

saafrican

JAKO1   you said that you knocked out the barrel centers of the mufflers ?
Did you notice   an difference  performance wise ?

Ive fitted a SE air filter to my M8RG 
The person who designed the standard M8 air cleaner needs to be fired .
Ive seen bigger air cleaners on a 125 scooter , never mind a 1750 cc engine
Really disgusting design work, especially from a professional design team ,
Who approved that crap 

Anyway I rode my bike with the new SE air cleaner , bike seem to be a lot smoother ?

Im after a less restrictive exhaust system  NOT NOISE
and don't see the value of noisy $500 slip-ons  or any cost benefit vs performance gains .
I would like to see dyne curves   standard  vs slip ons only . a straight shoot out

To complement the larger SE air cleaner I need to open up the exhaust system .
Ive listened and watched youtube videos of removing the baffles and fibers glass packing .
But those pipes are too loud for me ( Im okay with loud pipes , just not on my touring bike )

So tonight t bought a 41mm HOLE SAW  ( it just fits into the exhaust pipe end) and cut the restrictive center of the baffles out .  (Similar to what JAKO1 did , but with more finesse , no hammering , sorry Jako )
It took me 10   or 15 min  to do both sides .
It was to late to go for a ride , the bike was a little louder , but not obnoxiously loud .

With the SE air cleaner   and a less restrictive exhaust pipe ,I expect to notice some performance
improvement .
Tomorrow Ill take it to the HARLEY dealer  to  flash the CPU with stage 1 harley tune .
Ill report back .

NOW   looking into the pipe I can see a catylitic converter, smiling and tempting me to attach it ?
mmmmmm  stay tuned

Nastytls