May 02, 2024, 11:28:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil Cooling???

Started by Y2KRKNG, October 14, 2016, 06:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y2KRKNG

It was very well documented that adding extra oil to the top of a TC did NOTHING except make the oil hotter :sick: Why is it now the magic heat-bullet on the M8?
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

koko3052

rbabos

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on October 14, 2016, 06:59:06 AM
It was very well documented that adding extra oil to the top of a TC did NOTHING except make the oil hotter :sick: Why is it now the magic heat-bullet on the M8?
It will work nice if designed right. If you send time in town or slow traffic on a regular basis, you can buy the optional fan for the cooler. As I've mentioned before, if this is an option, obviously there is a need for it and should have been there in the first place to fall into the designed right category.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

You need to improve your reading comprehension / memory..  While more oil to the top end did make the oil hotter and the heads slightly cooler. They were worried about oil temps but edict was to not require an oil cooler on the early TC motor.. They found that they could eliminate the oil cooler by limiting the flow to the heads and still not overheat the heads..  Now that the M8 has oil has passages through the heads, what do you think they added to the bike that wasn't on the early twin cams? 

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 14, 2016, 07:49:57 AM

You need to improve your reading comprehension / memory..  While more oil to the top end did make the oil hotter and the heads slightly cooler. They were worried about oil temps but edict was to not require an oil cooler on the early TC motor.. They found that they could eliminate the oil cooler by limiting the flow to the heads and still not overheat the heads..  Now that the M8 has oil has passages through the heads, what do you think they added to the bike that wasn't on the early twin cams?

Better be a damn good cooler and some "new and improved" SYN 8 earl.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Rockout Rocker Products

FWIW.... There's also an optional fan that installs behind the rear cylinder, it would seem it's hotter back there than in the past?

:idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

GregOn2Wheels

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 14, 2016, 05:57:17 PM
FWIW.... There's also an optional fan that installs behind the rear cylinder, it would seem it's hotter back there than in the past?

The fan that installs behind the rear cylinder is supposed to be for rider comfort and not to cool the motor. According to Steve Cole, EITMS Is also about rider comfort rather than engine cooling.

hd06

The M8 is a 5 qt. motor my RGS M8 is a lot cooler running then my T.C. 103 Rushmore that I traded in. M8 cat is moved back and has a larger outlet to allow the heat out and has a larger cooler. Need to take one for a ride Harley has a winner. 

Tattoo

October 15, 2016, 03:31:14 AM #8 Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:37:28 AM by Tattoo
Quote from: hd06 on October 14, 2016, 11:10:23 PM
The M8 is a 5 qt. motor my RGS M8 is a lot cooler running then my T.C. 103 Rushmore that I traded in. M8 cat is moved back and has a larger outlet to allow the heat out and has a larger cooler. Need to take one for a ride Harley has a winner.

so your giving us feedback based on what you have actually found by owning and riding the M8 and not what you have read on the internet by somebody who has not ?  :up:  :wink:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

HDDOC

Why not add an extra oil cooler with these oil cooled heads, Have not had one in my possession but have look at them, Seems it would be easy to run and extra cooler even thru the engine guard if the new bigger oil pump will handle it. ?  JTOL.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

ADD    Not really knowing the oil path but looks like it could be done by adding an oil filter adapter plate and run it to the engine guard adding an extra Qt of oil  to the system, the engine guard is a good radiant cooler  also I believe this would allow the oil to stay in the oil pan longer and allow extra cooling also add the optional fan to the oil cooler and it would seem it would cover heat concerns.   Thinking out loud no proof Has I know very little about the M-8 .   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

ultraswede

Engine temp and what the rider feel are two different things.

An engine can melt while the rider is going down the road in total comfort.

hattitude

Quote from: GregOn2Wheels on October 14, 2016, 06:59:20 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 14, 2016, 05:57:17 PM

The fan that installs behind the rear cylinder is supposed to be for rider comfort and not to cool the motor. According to Steve Cole, EITMS Is also about rider comfort rather than engine cooling.

Granted the new fan will increase the passenger comfort by directing the heat behind the motor, and the CAT, down and away from the passenger legs/feet....

But if it's evacuating the heat from behind the rear head, away from the engine, it's got to help with the engine cooling to some degree also.....     :nix:

glens

Quote from: Tattoo on October 15, 2016, 03:31:14 AM

so your giving us feedback based on what you have actually found by owning and riding the M8 and not what you have read on the internet by somebody who has not ?  :up:  :wink:

Quote from: ultraswede on October 15, 2016, 08:38:41 AM

That's about what I was thinking.  In Steve's thread linked-to above (it was in this thread?) he expresses alarm at observed phenomenon.

I suspected from the get-go that, perception aside, the new motors were going to be running hotter than the TCs.  Kudos to H-D for handling the perception aspect so well.  Time will tell on the actual aspect.

rbabos

Quote from: glens on October 15, 2016, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: Tattoo on October 15, 2016, 03:31:14 AM

Quote from: ultraswede on October 15, 2016, 08:38:41 AM

That's about what I was thinking.  In Steve's thread linked-to above (it was in this thread?) he expresses alarm at observed phenomenon.

I suspected from the get-go that, perception aside, the new motors were going to be running hotter than the TCs.  Kudos to H-D for handling the perception aspect so well.  Time will tell on the actual aspect.
It's doing what it's suppose to do along with the byproduct of oil temp. Can't get around that aspect in oil cooled heads, period. I place no faith in claims otherwise. As you say, time will tell.
Ron

FSG

hd06

M8 breathes 50% better then TC and with a free flow cat and 2 1/2 outlet  to get rid of heat, This motor breathes I don't have the problem with heat like my 15 Rushmore and it was the cat that that was the problem It was a geat bike and I was happy with it. Time will tell when more M8 are out there ask the owner of one.