May 01, 2024, 03:46:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Changing to later model fork sliders

Started by RoadGlideRob, April 19, 2009, 06:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

I'm thinkig of changing to later model fork sliders so i can run later model brakes.  I've 41 MM forks with sliders that will support Bannana calipers now.  Does anyone know if late model 41 MM sliders will work with these tubes?

Thanks

easyricer

yeah should work no problem. You will probably have to respace the wheel but thats all.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

RoadGlideRob

thanks Easy,  Part of the problem is I already have a 21" late model rim.   didn't realize how much difference there was in early to late model setups. 

Rotors, calipers, axles..........   Its been a fun learning process though

easyricer

All you got is the lowers, and the wheel? I might have screwed that up. You need the newer type of tubes with that. I don't think that the newer lowers will go on the older tubes and bolt into place. I think the innards are different.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

gryphon

Yeah, you will need the '84 and later tubes. On the plus side, they are all the same except for length. Are you wanting to run a 21" wheel with that setup?

RoadGlideRob

Yes,  I have a 21" wheel I was planning on using.  its a late model wheel.

gryphon

By late model do you mean 2000 and later with the 1" axle? Your gonna need a 1" axle, sliders (lower legs), a caliper, new fork tubes, a 5/8" master cylinder, brake lines, spacers, and if you don't already have one then a new rotor. The work is easy but not a lot of advantages unless your doing it to upgrade the brakes. In that case I'd go with a wider wheel and a dual disc setup.

vern

early wide glide forks are 1 and 5/8 in diameter some where around 83-84 they went to 41 mm tubes a little smaller and not inter changeable, the wheel axel remained the same till 2002 or some where around that time. if you want to run a 21 inch wheel with a 3/4 inch axel use the 41 mm forks they have better brakes, but you have to change everything right to the trees. bananna calipers are for older forks 1 and 5/8 dia.

RoadGlideRob

Let me clarify a few things, at the risk of showing how ignorant I was when I started down this path. :embarrassed:

1. bought a used wide glide front end off ebay.  It has 41 MM tubes and the lowers are single disk that will support a 10" disk and bannana calipers.
2. Found a 21" Rim that came off a 2007 FXDWG.  Bought it based on seller saying it had a 3/4 axle.  It infact is a 1" axle
3. Found new wheel bearings and converted the rim to a 3/4 axle.
4. 10" rotor wont mount on 21" rim because the ID of the hub is 2.2" and the rotor is 2"
5. So here i am trying to figure out how to get either the bannana caliper and a 10" rotor to fit this setup or do what a buddy of mine suggested which is to change the lowers to work with the 2007 rim and then upgrade the brakes at the same time(i liked this idea)

gryphon

Converting the rotor is not a problem. I've done it a few times (as well as converting sprockets for rear wheels). The center hole needs to be machined out to 2.214". The bolt pattern is the same. You will probably have to make up your own spacers which is also not a big deal. Make them with PVC first to get the size. Unfortunately you cannot just upgrade the sliders using the forks that you have. I have used 41mm tubes in Shovelhead triply trees lots of times but those old style tubes won't work with the new sliders.

vern

the banana caliper is old and won't work on 41mm legs. the rotors are cheap, get the right one. use a new style caliper that fits the 41mm legs. your rim might not work depends what model it was of, (narrow glide no good) spacers are a pain in the ass unless you have a lathe. vern

gryphon

Problem is, he doesn't have the late 41mm legs. He has the early style that does use the bananna caliper.

vern

i must have miss understood cause on his first post he says he bought a set of 41mm tubes and sliders? am i loosing it?

RoadGlideRob

No Vern you are not loosing it.  Thats why i added more info.
I have an old set of 41 MM tubes and sliders and am trying to fit a late model 21" rim to them.   :bf: 
I was asking if I could just find a set of late model sliders and bolt them to my old tubes.  Answer is NO.

dave_9113

RoadGlideRob,

If I understand you right.  You need a 41mm lower leg.  I've got a take off 2000-later softail lowers that I will sell you for $25 +shipping.  Shoot me your e-mail and I will send pics if you are interested. 

Dave

RoadGlideRob

Dave,
Thanks but I'm not sure those will work with the older tubes i have.  I'm still looking at some other stuff,

But really appreciate the offer.

RoadGlideRob

does anyone know for sure if the hub size on 1999 and earlier front rims was 2"?  If i could find a 21" front rim with a 2" hub for the brake rotor that would fix my problem as well. 

gryphon

Bolt pattern and center hole was the same from 1972 until 1999. The only thing that might be different might be any twin Cams that were released in '99. Not sure about that. you can have your old rotor machined for a lot less than the cost of a wheel though.

RoadGlideRob

Yeah, I tried that but the one guy i took it too was worried about weakening the metal.  I didnt want to argue with him and even if I had it wouldnt have mattered much.  He would not do it.  guess i'll have to find another machinist.

gryphon

Yeah, I've had rotors and sprocket machined and never had a problem. Of course, I can't see into the future but, after thousands of miles on both mine and my sons bikes we've never had any problems at all.