May 01, 2024, 12:19:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

High Idle All of a sudden ??

Started by twincamzz, October 24, 2016, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Picked up my new 2017 Ultra Limited Low almost 2 months ago. 4750 miles on her so far & this morning encountered something new to this machine. Pushed bike out of garage & stopped to shut garage door with opener button. Foot slid on some gravel, I lost my balance & long story short I laid the bike down gently as I could. Soft landing on right side crash bars, not a scratch on motorcycle thank goodness. Stood motorcycle back up, reset the tip switch & started bike, which seemed to run fine. However, 40+ miles later when I arrived at work I noticed bike was idling around 1200 - 1500 RPM & did not want to settle back to 850 RPM as usual. I found that if I rolled the throttle forward as if trying to cancel cruise control the idle would return to 850 however when I let throttle return to normal position, idle would go right back up to 1200 - 1500 RPM. Never had this happen with this motorcycle before & wondering what might be the cause of high idle, & why now, after 4750 miles. Motorcycle always idled right about 850 RPM once warmed up.

Pride is hurt a bit by laying my new motorcycle down, despite no visible damage that I can see. Body is a little sore from the ordeal but I will live. Just wanna get my motorcycle running right again.

Any ideas y'all ?
not all who wander are lost...

convert1967

I have seen it happen when the bike has been shut off with throttle not back a zero.  You might try cycling the ignition switch a few times or pull the main fuse.

-deuced-

Sorry about your mishap. Maybe the throttle grip contacted the ground or was tweaked during the uprighting process. Perhaps try loosening housing and brake perch screws and moving right hand side controls a touch outboard.

Spurrs

There is a procedure to reset the idle rpm. I don't know it, but have seen what you are experiencing and that fixed it.
2017 Road Glide Ultra.  Bone stock for now . . .

twincamzz

October 24, 2016, 02:15:21 PM #4 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:44:37 PM by twincamzz
Found this on another motorcycle forum I frequent ( although HTT is my FAVORITE ! ) & thought I would share. Just went out to parking lot at work,  tried it and it seems to have taken care of the issue. Perhaps this is the procedure Spurrs mentioned, I dunno. Hopefully this might help someone else out if & when they encounter this problem. This morning I had not yet started bike but had the ignition on to provide lights so I could see down my driveway...I got 2 grandbabies sleeping upstairs so I never start bike until down the driveway a bit. However, I prolly twisted throttle in effort to try & hold bike up before she fell over. Once she was on her side I killed ignition so that's prolly what started this whole mess.
Thanks Again Y'all !!

"Built into the system is a reset function. If the ignition is turned off with the throttle in a position other than 0 percent throttle, the system wants to use a higher rpm as the new idle speed the next time the engine is started. If you shut the bike off at 1,800 rpm, the next time you start the engine it will use approximately 1,400 as the new idle speed. To keep this from occurring you can reset the idle by turning on the ignition switch until the fuel pump cycles on and off, then turning off the ignition. Repeat this three times and the idle speed will be reset to normal, 850 RPM. "

-deuced-

Spurrs

Quote from: twincamzz on October 24, 2016, 02:15:21 PM
Found this on another motorcycle forum I frequent ( although HTT is my FAVORITE ! ) & thought I would share. Just went out to parking lot at work,  tried it and it seems to have taken care of the issue. Perhaps this is the procedure Spurrs mentioned, I dunno. Hopefully this might help someone else out if & when they encounter this problem. This morning I had not yet started bike but had the ignition on to provide lights so I could see down my driveway...I got 2 grandbabies sleeping upstairs so I never start bike until down the driveway a bit. However, I prolly twisted throttle in effort to try & hold bike up before she fell over. Once she was on her side I killed ignition so that's prolly what started this whole mess.
Thanks Again Y'all !!

"Built into the system is a reset function. If the ignition is turned off with the throttle in a position other than 0 percent throttle, the system wants to use a higher rpm as the new idle speed the next time the engine is started. If you shut the bike off at 1,800 rpm, the next time you start the engine it will use approximately 1,400 as the new idle speed. To keep this from occurring you can reset the idle by turning on the ignition switch until the fuel pump cycles on and off, then turning off the ignition. Repeat this three times and the idle speed will be reset to normal, 850 RPM. "

That was it - glad it worked out!
2017 Road Glide Ultra.  Bone stock for now . . .

SixShooter14

A lot of TBW vehicles have a similar procedure to "relearn" throttle position

Hopefully that fixes your issue.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Sunny Jim

Twincam
, are you happy with your new bike other than that!?

twincamzz

Quote from: Sunny Jim on October 24, 2016, 04:12:28 PM
Twincam
, are you happy with your new bike other than that!?

Yes, very much so.

BUBBIE

Quote from: convert1967 on October 24, 2016, 12:50:36 PM
I have seen it happen when the bike has been shut off with throttle not back a zero.  You might try cycling the ignition switch a few times or pull the main fuse.

The ABOVE is what it More-than-likely-is..... It remembers where the throttle WAS when abruptly shut down... Dealer can Re-flash to work correctly I've been told...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

twincamzz

Quote from: BUBBIE on October 25, 2016, 07:46:31 AM
Quote from: convert1967 on October 24, 2016, 12:50:36 PM

The ABOVE is what it More-than-likely-is..... It remembers where the throttle WAS when abruptly shut down... Dealer can Re-flash to work correctly I've been told...

signed....BUBBIE

No need for dealer flash Bubbie...read the 5th post down...procedure took care of problem !

Panzer

I learned something too. Thx for the follow up.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HV

We see this a lot when people shut them off with the Kill Switch ....Use the Key and do the reset ...No more issues  :SM:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

PoorUB

Quote from: HV on October 29, 2016, 11:25:30 AM
We see this a lot when people shut them off with the Kill Switch ....Use the Key and do the reset ...No more issues  :SM:

Hey! But everybody knows you are supposed to use the kill switch, then the key switch!! :potstir: :hyst:

I had someone tell me the other day that you need to wait for the infotainment system to boot up and don't start the engine until you click the OK, or agree, (or what ever it says!), before you start the engine or very bad things happen! :banghead: Of course he had no idea why, except someone told him to do it that way. Probably a highly trained dealer salesman, the same ones that tell you that the Rushmores have 255 cams in 'em.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

yobtaf103

Always use the Kill switch on my TBW bike, no choice 11 softail convertible