May 04, 2024, 07:13:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley Stage 1 airfilter

Started by x52gnr, November 10, 2008, 09:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

x52gnr

I noticed when I was pulling things apart this weekend that my stage 1 airfilter says "do not oil" is this simply wash and wear? is this filter set-up a good  one or should I switch to the wash and oil K/N filter? :pop:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Mike52

HD quit using the K&N filters a long time ago, I prefer the K&N, if for nothing else, it's a 'Lifetime' filter, you shouldn't need to replace it unless something bad happens to it (damaged).

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

FLTRI

If it is, or was, white it's made of paper and wash and wear would destroy it.
Either replace it with a new one when it gets dirty or replace it with a wash and wear type like the K&N.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

x52gnr

Does anyone know if the K/N version flows more air than the Screamin Beagle?
2012 Heritage Softail

Tomahawk

Go K&N and forget the Harley Stock expensive filter. Comes or you can buy the K&N cleaning kit and clean your filter. Definitely better airflow from my experience. Cleaning kit has a cleaning solution and then spray a coat of filter oil which turns red. When your filter is no longer red colored it's the indicator to clean and oil again. I clean mine once in spring and once in fall and have used it now for 3 years as we ride year round here. :

x52gnr

Thanks, I will order the K/N replacement version.... :up:
2012 Heritage Softail

LT

'10 Streetglide 103" w/ 255's, Heavy Breather & D&D Fatcat
SE Compensator, TTS

HDFAT2001

:up: on the K&N it's their part number HD-0800

x52gnr

I am still curious though, does the k/n flow more air than the screaming eagle??????????? :pop:
  Or is there a better replacement that flows more air but still works with the s/e backing plate and air cleaner cover???
2012 Heritage Softail

longshooter

From all accounts I have read, the K&N flows better than the stock unit. As long as you're willing to change, you may want to consider the Zipper's filter unit. It is 5/8 of an inch taller then stock or replacements which means more media area. However, it may also leave about 1/4 inch of the filter exposed at the backing plate. Not a big deal unless you're pickey about those kinds of things.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

dsedocrider

will there be any change in gas mileage by changing to the K&N filter because more air is being let in.  On my 99 ultra, the screamin eagle air filter kit, which is a K&N filter, reduced my mileage from 48 mpg to 40 mpg.

pricey13

mate. i have tryed  three types of air filters, and gone back to screamin eagle filters. did not feel any performance difference with after market.   (on evo motors no dif,) harley davidson can poor a lot more $$ into air filtration/air flow reseach than these smaller companys could ever do.   at stage one anyway. cheers.

Bakon

You can clean the SE white filter several times, for several years before it will break down. Then replace with Zippers or KN type. Both use oil. I have used all three, Zippers wil flow the most because it has more media, (and they say so). From KN to regular SE, dont think you will ever notice a difference. Milage drop, free a/c with pipes, retuned for more fuel for more power, yeah a milage drop will occur. Highest milage is always a pure stock HD. Leanest running.
wasting time

FLTRI

Darn SHO,
You actually wetted the paper filter and it didn't disintegrate? We've seen those POS filters disintergrade without water, just over time. They may have been a different itteration of the filter, as we quit using them when we saw the first few falling apart.
Didn't the paper element say "do no wash"?

smoserx1

The screaming eagle element is not paper (even though it looks like it).  It is cotton, and is washable.  It does not use oil.  The K&N filter is a cotton "gauze" and needs oil, or else it will allow too many particles to enter the engine.  The K&N flows marginally better from what I have read.  I believe the figures were about 475 CFM for the K&N, 450 for the SE, and around 150 for the stock element (which is also cotton and washable).  Figures are not exact, just ballpark from memory.

Mike52

Quote from: SHOStreetglide on November 12, 2008, 12:26:10 AMThen replace with Zippers or KN type. Both use oil.

Bob, I took it as that SHO was oiling the Zippers or K&N filters. JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

FLTRI

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 12, 2008, 09:56:46 AM
The screaming eagle element is not paper (even though it looks like it).  It is cotton, and is washable.  It does not use oil.
Thanks for the correction. I guess I just assumed they were made of paper because they were disintegrating as if they were.  The K&N filter is a cotton "gauze" and needs oil, or else it will allow too many particles to enter the engine.  The K&N flows marginally better from what I have read.  I believe the figures were about 475 CFM for the K&N, 450 for the SE, and around 150 for the stock element (which is also cotton and washable).  Figures are not exact, just ballpark from memory.

Bakon

I washed SE filters with the KN cleaning fluid. No problem. Just did not oil. Oil on the KN and Zippers though. Never had it fall apart, but I do air dry only and maybe it just didnt fall apart yet.
wasting time