April 30, 2024, 10:45:49 PM

News:

Changing the Ignition (help)

Started by dakota224, April 19, 2009, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakota224

April 19, 2009, 09:25:44 AM Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:29:42 AM by dakota224
Hi Guys, my buddy rides a 1984 FX 1200 shovelhead.  he wants to change it from points to electronic ingnition,, whats the best complete setup to use??  

HarleyCharley

I've been using a Crane Hi4 single fire in my '81 FXS since '96 with no problems at all. I've been looking at the Ultima single fire which is less expensive but I don't know much about it. I would check out the Ultima.   :pop:

charley

76shuvlinoff

Does it have a kick start?
Crane, newer Dynas,  and Dyna S are pretty good and have kick starting settings. My older Dyna 2000i is not a kick starting ignition but has been flawless for 21,000 miles.
Ultima is supposed to be the same as Dyna only under a different label.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

springer-

Any of the electronic advance ignition systems for that application would be a good choice.  The Dyna "S" is very old technology and just about any other system on the market is a better choice, IMO.  I prefer the single fire modules myself and typically recommend the Crane HI-4 system as it is very easy to use.  Now with Crane in financial problems, ie failing, I would look to a different product but I wouldn't hesitate to run a HI-4 on my bike, warranty or not if it could be had for a good price.

CraigArizona85248

This was discussed just 6 days ago.  See the previous thread for more info... http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=9151.0