May 04, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Head Breathers

Started by djl, October 29, 2016, 10:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

Have been reading various threads about the head breather and pathway to vent being different from the TC motor.  Is there any difference?  I understand that the backing plate makes venting to the atmosphere more difficult but not sure why.  Just looking for information and an understanding of how  the M8 head breathers work and assume they still vent into the intake like the TC breathers. :idunno:

FSG

Quote..... and assume they still vent into the intake like the TC breathers 

a venting mod looks to be easy and straight forward to me

djl

Thanks FSG.  External venting does look pretty straight forward. :wink:

RXBOB

On the SE H/F Backing plate is pretty well the same as the Twin Cam Backing Plate to Modify for external Breather

I did mine before I fitted it

twincamzz

Looks pretty easy to me too. I am gathering parts today to do this very mod to my head breathers after finding small amount of oil "pooled" in intake on my new 2017 Limited Low. Appears all I will need to do is drill an exit hole in bottom of A/C housing, then re-route stock hose with an extension. Everything I read says no need to install breather filter at end of hose, just causes problems...y'all agree ?

I'll post pix once mod is complete.
not all who wander are lost...

rich1

Quote from: twincamzz on October 30, 2016, 04:35:32 AM
Looks pretty easy to me too. I am gathering parts today to do this very mod to my head breathers after finding small amount of oil "pooled" in intake on my new 2017 Limited Low. Appears all I will need to do is drill an exit hole in bottom of A/C housing, then re-route stock hose with an extension. Everything I read says no need to install breather filter at end of hose, just causes problems...y'all agree ?

I have never run a filter. I asked that very question on here recently just to see what everyone else was doing. Almost no one is running a filter. I did read once where an experienced builder said to make sure your vent hose is 20 inches long. No idea how he came up with that length, but if it is real short you risk getting debris back into the heads.

Don D

Quote from: rich1 on October 30, 2016, 05:02:15 AM

I have never run a filter. I asked that very question on here recently just to see what everyone else was doing. Almost no one is running a filter. I did read once where an experienced builder said to make sure your vent hose is 20 inches long. No idea how he came up with that length, but if it is real short you risk getting debris back into the heads.

How?
The umbrella valves are check valves. Pressure out, that's it.

rbabos

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 30, 2016, 07:12:07 AM

How?
Agree. Never figured out that filter at the end of the line either. Just makes for one more thing to clean. Only reason they get dirty is oil mist forms on the surface and dirt sticks to it. It's not from breathing in.
Ron

djl

October 30, 2016, 02:59:43 PM #8 Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:08:12 PM by djl

That is exactly what I suggested to a friend after seeing the diagram FSG posted.  He extended #8 out through a hole he drilled in the lower left corner of the filter housing. He did attach an inline oil cooler at the end as a catch can.  He drained about a teaspoon out after the first 150 miles. Now he needs to address the air filter which, apparently, is pretty restrictive.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on October 30, 2016, 07:57:14 AM

How?
Agree. Never figured out that filter at the end of the line either. Just makes for one more thing to clean. Only reason they get dirty is oil mist forms on the surface and dirt sticks to it. It's not from breathing in.
Ron

And it is a restriction to breathing out when new and more so the minute it gets coated with oil and then after the dirt hits it they start wondering why their rocker boxes, cylinder and lifter bases start to leak.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rich1

How?

I have no idea. You are an expert and I am not. I was basing it on a post on another forum where an owner had his bike used as a test mule for developing some heads and cams. The shop doing the work told him as long as long as the hose was 20 inches long to not worry about a filter.

rbabos

Quote from: rich1 on October 31, 2016, 05:44:29 AM

How?

I have no idea. You are an expert and I am not. I was basing it on a post on another forum where an owner had his bike used as a test mule for developing some heads and cams. The shop doing the work told him as long as long as the hose was 20 inches long to not worry about a filter.
Well there's your problem. :hyst:
Ron

rich1

True enough Ron. But is was probably not the one you are thinking about.  :SM: