May 01, 2024, 07:52:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M-8 in a Dyna?

Started by Templer, November 03, 2016, 03:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templer

Anyone know when this will happen?? As the 107 is oil cooled and most do not want the radiator on a Dyna. I want t see a HD 750 LC and a turbo/PRO Charger setup.Hard enough to keep up with a Sporty, the 750 charged would surprise a BUNCH of folk.

rigidthumper

The MOCO put the (then) new TC engine in two lines in 99, followed by the TCB engine in softails a year later. I'd guess the pattern follows, where the Softails and Dynas get the new powertrain for MY18.
Blown XG750? That's a lot of $ for 50 more horsepower, if you could double the stock output.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

leafman60

The Dyna was developed way back in the 80's and first sold in 1991. That's 25 years ago!!

Yes, there have been tweaks and engine upgrades. There was a facelift with the 06 model year but the Dyna has basically been the same rubber- mount bike sold for 25 years now!!

I say the time is waaay past due for a new Dyna with a much better frame. Hopefully, the new balanced M8 engine will allow H-D to ditch the flexible rubber drivetrain mounting system that causes stock bikes to wobble when pushed hard in curves.

Fingers crossed.

nome

I remember an article in one of the Harley centered magazines a few years back where they did a build using the TC B motor in a replica four speed frame (as I recall) Anyway, it looked great, it would be great if they could revamp the Dyna using the new engine solidly mounted, seems it could have a lower seat height and more ground clearance on the exhaust side (my will drag the pipe when I used to ride more aggressively)

mp

Quote from: leafman60 on November 04, 2016, 03:48:01 AM
The Dyna was developed way back in the 80's and first sold in 1991. That's 25 years ago!!
Yes, there have been tweaks and engine upgrades. There was a facelift with the 06 model year but the Dyna has basically been the same rubber- mount bike sold for 25 years now!!
I say the time is waaay past due for a new Dyna with a much better frame. Hopefully, the new balanced M8 engine will allow H-D to ditch the flexible rubber drivetrain mounting system that causes stock bikes to wobble when pushed hard in curves.
The Dyna frame was brand new in 2006 and was supposedly made much stronger.  However the two point rubber mounts were retained and this is what causes Dynas to flex.  There is no such problem with the touring bikes' and the FXR's three point rubber mounts.  And that's what they need to bring back for next year's cruisers, along with the M8.

milo

I recall reading somewhere of the M8 going into current Tourers as a 2017, then supposedly an all new frame for 2018 that will be shared with the Dyna line.