May 01, 2024, 04:24:54 AM

News:

rocker box gasket

Started by akronfxwg, April 19, 2009, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akronfxwg

Once again, it's that time.  1800 miles after total engine rebuild, I am looking at another bloen front rockerbox gasket.  I have used James and stock Harley gaskets and they all seem to go after a very short time.  Any suggestions?  I did lap the rockerbox flat before the last install.

76shuvlinoff

The James you used, was it the steel type with the bead on it?  I've used them twice with no issues.  They are not as picky about the bolt torque as the paper stuff.  If those didn't work I'd give the coated metal ones from Cometic a try.

If your rockerbox gasket surfaces are flat take a straight edge across the threaded holes in the heads and make sure they are not pulled up. 

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

NormL

there must be a reason for that gasket to fail, especially a beaded James gasket.  Check it out good to see where the leak is before you tear the head off.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

stroker800

Do you maybe have a pressure problem???? I have my rocker boxes shimmed with a spacer ,,so I have 2 gaskets to deal with,,,never had a leak..
Dave

dave_9113

Did you re-torgue them puppies?  If you are having that much problem, put some hylomar on them.