April 27, 2024, 02:49:53 AM

News:

04 1200 conversion pings

Started by jep619, November 10, 2008, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jep619

In August 2006 I bought an "04 883custom (or so I thought) from a dealer. had 5200 miles on it. Soon after, the dealer had it in because it was pinging when warm and rolling on throttle. Lots of fun visits, arguments and shoptime later they ended up putting in new pistons and did a top end rebuild (under extended warranty). They had tried to explain to me that I should feel lucky that I had a bonus upgrade to a 1200, while I maintained that an upgrade should mean a better product, not a quart of oil every 500 miles and lots of pinging. Of course they denied any knowledge of any "modifications" when the sold it to meBike already had thunderheaders on when I got it. I added an SE aircleaner and dealer did dynajet kit.
Long story short... Bike still pings when rolling on throttle aggressively. Much worse during Phoenix AZ summer months. Plenty of power but unless I downshift and really run high rpms the engine sounds like a can full of nickels.(or my old slant 68 plymouth when the distributor needed a whack.
The stock ignition has not been changed. Should I change the ignition? What should I put in? Can I do it myself or is there some mysterious thing the dealer will have to do so the antitheft is not a problem. Love the bike, hate the dealer, I have a manual and lots of mechanical ability, just need a little guidance.

hdsporty481

see where your air idle  screw is at should be around 2 one half turns check your jets  try a 45 slow jet and based on what your post said at least a 170 main mebee even a 175 sounds like you might be a little gas starved  good luck  ride safe sporty481

mayor

I would start by changing the ignition module (assuming that the carb is set up correctly as 481 mentioned).  The '04 and up carb models are pretty easy.  The module has one connector and it's under the seat. I'm not familar with who all makes an adjustable ignition for your make, but that's the way I would go.  You should also check your cold cranking pressure (CCP).  You may be really loading up the corrected compression if you still have the factory cams in (depending on how the work was done to the engine). 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

calif phil

I would get a Daytona twin tech Ignition module. You should be able to eliminate the ping and get more power out of a simple module change. DTT makes some nice products.

Panzer

Simplicity first.............
All the above may be true, but what grade gas are you using?
If you haven't tried already, try using 92 octane in her.
Pinging is  pre-detonation, the higher octane might eliminate the ping.
When you fill, remember (if that's the case) that you may have some low grade fuel in it already.
It might take a tank and a half to get it up to the 92 octane.
Suggest you drain and fill.
Your dealer sounds like he's a jerk.
Just my .02..............let us know.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Bigs

My '05 1200C started pinging and I though I got some bad gas. Found out it was the MAP sensor. Their about $40. New MAP sensor and no more pinging.
   Bigs

blk05xl

Hey Bigs,

I also have a 05 1200C that started to ping after rolling the throttle. How did you determine it was the MAP sensor?

blk05xl

Bigs

I checked for codes and that one showed up on the speedometer. I know someone has the instructions and codes listed. I know you start off by holding down the speedometer button and then turning on the ignition with the button held down. Then let off the button and press it down again to go through the different sections. Maybe someone will post the instructions.
   Bigs

Coasty

Quote from: jep619 on November 10, 2008, 10:37:16 AM
In August 2006 I bought an "04 883custom (or so I thought) from a dealer. had 5200 miles on it. Soon after, the dealer had it in because it was pinging when warm and rolling on throttle. Lots of fun visits, arguments and shoptime later they ended up putting in new pistons and did a top end rebuild (under extended warranty). They had tried to explain to me that I should feel lucky that I had a bonus upgrade to a 1200, while I maintained that an upgrade should mean a better product, not a quart of oil every 500 miles and lots of pinging. Of course they denied any knowledge of any "modifications" when the sold it to meBike already had thunderheaders on when I got it. I added an SE aircleaner and dealer did dynajet kit.
Long story short... Bike still pings when rolling on throttle aggressively. Much worse during Phoenix AZ summer months. Plenty of power but unless I downshift and really run high rpms the engine sounds like a can full of nickels.(or my old slant 68 plymouth when the distributor needed a whack.
The stock ignition has not been changed. Should I change the ignition? What should I put in? Can I do it myself or is there some mysterious thing the dealer will have to do so the antitheft is not a problem. Love the bike, hate the dealer, I have a manual and lots of mechanical ability, just need a little guidance.

As previous replys have stated;
Correct fuuel 91 or better octane
Correct jetting and carb adjustment
Check timing and possibility of a fuel management upgrade

My contribution check the piston tops and see if there is excessive carbon if so start using Seafoam. Also, the Arizone heat can play a big part of the ping.  Check your head temps after a good ride with an IR thermometer at the base of the plugs.  If you get 300 degrees or better that is one of the causes.  Because of polution standards the engines run lean causing heat build up.  This is done on purpose to burn off all the nasties during combustion.  Check your plugs, if they are white or light gray you are running lean.  Rejet the slow jet one size up and shim the needel.  Stay away from the Yost Power tube and do not drill anything.  Check your main jet it should be a 175.  Also add an oil cooler I know ther are alot of people who will disagree but facts are facts.  Donny Peterson a well respcted wrench has written many articles for American Iron touting the importance of oil coolers and can't say enough.  Keeping your engine temperature down is the key to preventing ping of any type.  I have been wrenching and riding sporties since 1971 have two now and o3 1200C and an 07 50XL.  With minimum costs, no fuel management systems, simple modifications both bikes run like tops.  Some over think and over do and over spend it is the simple things we ofter over look.

Coasty

Buddy WMC

Some good advice being given here, I'm new to the EVO Sporty's and am learning to do a build.
Have you had the bike actually on a Dyno? Best money I ever spent after modifying my 1993 FXLR. My engine now has a Revolution Performance 85" kit @ 10.5 to 1 with ported Screamin Eagle heads, S&S Super E, Dyna 2000 ignition, V-Thunder EVL-5015NG cam, V-Thunder lifters, B-Hive valve springs and SE adjustable pushrods. Of course the list goes on, but after the Dyno pulls no pinging on curve #2 (Fairly Agressive), with 93 octance Shell. After nine pulls on the Dynojet including some jet and ingnition changes, the cost was less than $300.00 including the parts.

We are building a similar 91 Sportster engine now with the Revolution Big Bore Stage II kit for a friend. The difference is that his bike is already equipped with a Crane HI-4 and Mikuni 42mm and is equipped with an Edelbrock Nitrous system. After 500 miles in a low state of tune for break in, this bike will hit the Dyno. I can imagine what will happen after the operator sets up the engine and then hits the Nitrous!!

Bottom line is get that bike to a good Dyno man shop. Your problem will be diagnosed, get fixed and you will be glad that you spent the money.

jep619

Thanks for the tips. I have always used highest octane regularly available in Phoenix area 91 never from a no name station. Curious about the MAP sensor comment and the speedo diagnostic. How is it done?

Hillside Motorcycle

It detonated prior, and still detonates, after the work they performed????????????????????????
Maybe they are better suited to installing tires/chrome covers.
I'd turn the timing back untill it stops.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"