April 30, 2024, 10:24:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front spring length

Started by 72fl, November 11, 2016, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72fl

I'm trying to find out what length the front springs are on a 99 Sporty, a guy gave me a set that are 20.5 inches long but if thats stock there's no point in putting them in to lower the front end. :hyst:

hogasm

That is what my 97 883hugger measures
04 SEEG
02 FLHTC

72fl

Thank you, wasn't sure if they were shorter or stock. :up:

hogasm

The springs might be the same length but the cartridge tubes and damper tubes are different.
04 SEEG
02 FLHTC

72fl

Burch753

Gentlemen,

Spring length is only a very small piece of the puzzle that indicates where a bike will sag (or lower itself to) More important information like spring rate and seat pipe length will give you a better indication. You will also need to know the spring length (free) v. spring rate (installed).

Just lowering the front (or rear) of a bike can produce some very adverse handling effects. It will also change the mass loading of the vehicle. Changing the attitude of the bike will change the way it performs.

I know that,s not a lot of help, but just some food for thought.

72fl

The reason I ask the question is SOMEONE GAVE me a set and I wanted to know if they were stock springs or not, I am not using them because they are Stock length.....

Burch753

Understood. Are you wanting to use them because you think they are a different rate than what you have?

72fl

yes Burch I was, but now I know they are stock length so what I'm also considering is just sliding the tubes up to drop front to where I want it and I am adding air shocks 11" to the back.

Thank you
Dave

messed up

Sliding tubes good as long as you keep enough front fender clearance to avoid a dent.