May 01, 2024, 10:01:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

panhead valve covers

Started by oldster, November 14, 2016, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldster

i have ruined 2 valve covers (i think from the rocker arms !/4 long slash) just don't know why and how not to do it again, thanks

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

oldster

drifter

If the rocker arms are contacting the covers enough to ruin them, would it not indicate that the valve seats are worn beyond limits?  Suppose you could fix the seats or shorten the valve stems or customize the covers by creating a clearance bulge at the affected area.  Maybe drop in some larger shovel valves.  If that is the problem I would go with repairing the seats, winter (repair season) is upon us.  Of course I could be wrong with my assessment, but it is probably worth what I charged you, good luck.

oldster

didn't think about that was thinking the rockers could be bent from age.(the part that engages the push rod) i think could rework valve stems as it runs good. thanks for your input

drifter

I guess it depends on where the damage is located.  The push rod end goes up and would cause damage to the top of the pan, the valve end goes at 30 (?) degree angle toward the front and back causing bulging to the sides (front and back) of the pan.  The rockers I have seen are pretty sturdy, not likely to bend without sticking a valve and even then the push rod would bend first I would think.

Pull the offending head, remove the pan cover, put the head back on with push rods in place and adjusted properly, turn the engine over with the kicker or rear wheel with trans in gear.  Watch the action of the rockers and the valves and springs.  Anything strange happening?   My suggestion of shortening a valve stem is beyond the equipment a home shop would have if is even possible.  That and the suggestion of creating a bulge were tongue-in-cheek lunacy, no offense meant.

Perhaps one of the real mechanics will weigh in with some experience. 

moose

I also agree with the sunk in valve seats. unless someone put the wrong valves in it with longer stems. 

d rings have nothing to do with the height of the cover they just apply flat pressure to the cover.

let us know what you find
Moose aka Glenn-

Deye76

"d rings have nothing to do with the height of the cover they just apply flat pressure to the cover."

Which prevents them from flexing. Unless one is using the heavy cast variety. (CCE)
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

moose

also inside the cover is the oil pad which is pretty thick and will push up on the cover somewhat
Moose aka Glenn-