May 08, 2024, 04:20:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Winpep 7 Vs 8

Started by Prostock, November 22, 2016, 12:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prostock

Hey guys, Winpep8 has been out for a couple years now.  For those who upgraded, was it worth it in the end.  Reason I ask is I have been setting up a room and a 250i for the last year and now getting close.  Pulled the stack and harnesses to send to DJ and considering upgrading.  Dyno has been sitting for a few years now but looks complete and seems to be in good shape.  Build date was 12-2005.  I understand there is alot to this question.  I plan on tuning with TTS, Power Vision and whats left with SE tuners. Also am considering using herko, twin tech and mytune.  Comments and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Scot

harleytuner

I did the upgrade about 4 months ago, After getting all the settings right it's great.  If you are familiar with running WinPep7 there's a little learning curve involved (software).  I have no regrets at all about it.  We converted at teh last shop I worked at before opening up mine, so the transition was a bit easier this go around.  Dynojet told me they were going to stop software support for 7 in July of next year, and stop hardware support as they run out of parts.  So if you are planning on keeping your dyno it's inevitable that you're going to make the upgrade sooner or later.

BVHOG

I upgraded last spring and after a few bugs I really like it. If you are just getting set up than I highly recommend just doing it once.  That being said, Dan from dynojet was here a couple weeks back and mentioned he wouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade so it's really your call. The stack repair is cheap from dynojet and the 7 works very well while the 8 has more features you may or may not use or want.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

1FSTRK

From what I have witnessed in the local dyno shops Win7 is the the workhorse that they built the reputation on  and should have updated with some new features,  Win8 is still in the early stages of beta testing on the customers. To put it in Harley terms win7 is the comp sprocket that served wonderfully from the 70's until 2006 and win8 is the 07 comp that has been redesigned about every year since it's release.

You see this everywhere now, computer software people giving professionals in an industry what the software people think you should have (often because it is easier for them to do) rather then the way it used to be where the industry professional hired software people to design what was needed by them.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harleytuner

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 24, 2016, 07:56:33 AM
From what I have witnessed in the local dyno shops Win7 is the the workhorse that they built the reputation on  and should have updated with some new features,  Win8 is still in the early stages of beta testing on the customers. To put it in Harley terms win7 is the comp sprocket that served wonderfully from the 70's until 2006 and win8 is the 07 comp that has been redesigned about every year since it's release.

You see this everywhere now, computer software people giving professionals in an industry what the software people think you should have (often because it is easier for them to do) rather then the way it used to be where the industry professional hired software people to design what was needed by them.

There's a big learning curve going from 7 to 8 but once you get passed that and get any little bugs worked out it really is a much better system.  The people I know of having problems, it's usually with the settings and the bike set up.  WinPep 8 is very ground sensitive.  The dyno MUST be grounded, the bike MUST be grounded to the dyno and the inductive pick up MUST be grounded to the bike.  Those were the only issues I had to get worked out, a couple settings in teh software and it's been flawless ever since. 

Just Nick

I did the upgrade a year ago and its great the only issue I have had is the AFR pump keeps going out and Dyno can not figure it out the last pump has been working for a few months but will just loose power some times then your screwed. another issue is setting the PID's just right other then that its great and I would recommend it to any one.

Once you get your PID's set make sure to write then down because they will change them in the updates. With that being said I cant find my note on the PID numbers I had and I did a update with Dyno to fix a bug I had and they automatically reset my PID's what are you guys running ?
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

HD/Wrench

I cannot be 100% sure on this but we where the first Motorcycle  shop in the US to use it. a few had it but had not swapped over to it . I have been running it for two years now. And I had more issues being the beta guy then many others did. But nothing that was a huge issue. With that said I have not done the last update in fact I did but backed up to a earlier version. I di like the new printing set up and there where no other changes that I needed.

The face book posting was very nice but that is gone. Last update removed all but SAE .. still the system is getting better with time. Looking forward to the full version of PV in C3 tuning :up: :up:

Prostock

Thanks for all the replies as it helped make the decision.  Ordered the update today along with twin scan complete kit and John is making me some blocks.