May 09, 2024, 10:51:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lowload Idle backfire

Started by Carpenter Sport O, November 23, 2016, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carpenter Sport O

my 05 XL1200C (used) ( don't Know if it has any engine mods) python pipes back fire when it idles or if I go from my drive to the road (which is a 20% grade) in second gear to the stop sign or down shifting when riding like I did not steal it . the way it acts I would like to say it is modded , but I am unclear. The wife states it Back fire but I have been told by a few old timers that it sounds good . This is my first Harley and it does have a carb , I have been riding 20 + and my other bikes have been road yamaha and then road suzuki . From past experience that would be a carb issue , although for my XL1200C i am Unclear.

Hossamania

Exhaust leaks will cause backfires. You are also correct, it could be a jetting issue in the carb, or even a vacuum leak.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Carpenter Sport O

The dealership I got it from didn't check somethings . The bike had a little over 20k miles on it , some major nuts and screws were lose . So I am not surprised if it does have a exhaust leak it doesn't sound it but anything is possible.