April 27, 2024, 11:06:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2 cams...which do you like...and why?

Started by No Cents, November 25, 2016, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

thanks for the suggestions men on the Suburban Speed and DME cams.  :up:
I run gear drive cams and both of those only offer chain drive cams.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

Run it in one of the advanced software packages that simulates cylinder fill and emptying and takes the flow of the heads into consideration.

Raleigh111

Quote from: No Cents on November 26, 2016, 07:50:52 AM
  I ran the -2 cams in my old 117 for awhile. It was set at 11.3. The -2's were like a light switch to me...either on or off with no in between. It is a good hot rod cam.
  I ended up swapping them out for the 594's...and I liked the ride quality much better with the 594's. I'm sort of after that same feel where as I don't have to worry about taking one hand off the bars and I don't have to worry about it wanting to kick me off the seat if I give it a little more throttle. I'm more or less wanting a smoother power delivery without sacrificing anything when it's time to turn it on.   
  The -2 cams and the 640's are totally different feeling cams to me. I ran the 640's first at around 11.5 compression and after running them at that compression they seemed to lull me to sleep. They were very smooth. They did come on when you twisted the wick to them. Now at my current 12.2 compression the 640's...they became a hot rod cam...almost evil running. You have to hang on to it...for sure. They definitely responded exceptionally well to the extra compression.

Ray

added later:
cam #1 is
Wes Brown's (Cyclerama) CR630I cams...for those who might be wondering.
Kinda sounds like the 640s @11.5 is what you want?

the exhaust events of the 2 cams in question are very different. I wish someone could explain the cause and effect of just the exhaust side of these cams. What to expect with the different events and why.
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

No Cents

"the exhaust events of the 2 cams in question are very different. I wish someone could explain the cause and effect of just the exhaust side of these cams. What to expect with the different events and why."

me too  :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

remington007

Wouldn't the exhaust system play a big role in which cams exhaust events would be the most effective?

Matt C

Quote from: No Cents on November 29, 2016, 08:17:31 AM
"the exhaust events of the 2 cams in question are very different. I wish someone could explain the cause and effect of just the exhaust side of these cams. What to expect with the different events and why."

me too  :up:

"Just the Exhaust side" is leaving out a whole lot of things, it's not that simple.

The actual pipe configuration/dimensions, coupled with the cam events (overlap being the biggie) and probably 14 other things
to consider. A good simulator program will model it and give several visual perspectives. Dynomation 5 is one of my favs...

Matt C

The exhaust is not independent of the intake, it all has to work together to work. lol

Matt C

Quote from: remington007 on November 29, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Wouldn't the exhaust system play a big role in which cams exhaust events would be the most effective?

Absolutely, without question.

IronMike113

Like Ray has said The -2 cams come on BAM, And I'm running those with a HO Pro Pipe,and they didn't act any different than what Ray has mentioned,and Ray ran a totally different exhaust,I really don't think the -2 cams are very exhaust sensitive,Other than a a big pipe,I do not have a sheet anymore,but I do remember it was losing traction on the Dyno when BVBOB tuned it,Clutch is a Bandit with 5 shims with grey springs.

And mine were a bit noisy,but other have said Thier noises was not so much.
I'm removing mine and reinstalling some 640's to tame it down.
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

JTS131

has any body ever tried to advance the 640's 2 or 4 degrees