April 27, 2024, 08:41:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inner primary leak

Started by born4bikn, November 10, 2008, 10:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born4bikn

I have a custom built "Bobber" with a 1340 EVO - closed primary...I am getting a fluid leak which appears to be coming from the inner primary..How hard is it to repair?

dave_9113

Best case is replacing seals.  Worse case is cracked inner primary. 

OK, having said that.  Find exactly if it is primary fluid or tranny.  Smell it, taste it  :crook:, color, etc... to be sure that it is either.  It is very common for Evo tranny to leak at the quad seal or main shaft in the tranny vs. a primary leak.  Is it a quarter size leak right at the lowest part of the primary?  Is it constant or stops once it does its thing? 

Wipe the area real clean and find out.  Let us know.

dave

born4bikn

It only leaks when it is HOT. Definately fluid from the primary. I keep a check on the primary and transmission fluid levels.  Not adding any to tranny however I am adding fluid to primary.

PaJoe

Removing the inner primary can be an all day job for someone that is not  experienced. I recently had my inner primary off on my '90 flhtcu and for me the hardest part was getting the starter and jackshaft assembly back in the correct order, but  removing the compensating nut was a chore as well, I needed a really big breaker bar as it is at about 150 foot pounds and may have red locktite on it. The clutch is not as bad, it's about 80 foot pounds but has a left hand nut, so it works opposite of normal nuts. The key was to have the plastic primary locking tool to stop everything from turning, you can make one out of a plastic cutting board. Also, in my case I had to put a bottle jack under the transmission to lift it up into proper position to get all the holes to line up, but I had the engine out as well.I found a thread on another site that had a lot of helpful information for me but be aware some of it will not be correct for your situation.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89699