May 02, 2024, 02:57:51 AM

News:

Stock HD O2 sensor life

Started by Blackbaggr, April 20, 2009, 09:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbaggr

I realize that the life of a sensor is effected by the voltage setting, heat, gases, vibration, etc., but what would one reasonably expect to get out of the factory O2 sensors. I'm definitely not looking to  :potstir: about wideband/narrowband stuff. I am specifically looking for info on the STOCK 06 Dyna and 07 -up touring line sensors. What would symptoms be ? Will the STOCK ECM throw a code ? Is there a test that the end user could do ? Thanks in advance...

crazycalvin

ViennaHog

I monitor mine once in while. There are tell tale signs that the sensor goes bad like staying at a high = rich voltage for a long time at idle. I replace them on my first 2007 ultra at about 16,000 miles and the newer 2008 were replaced at 18,000 miles. Looks like every 2 plug changes a sensor changes is on order. This is a European experience with our type of gas and a bike with moderate performance upgrades.

ToBeFrank

Quote from: ViennaHog on April 20, 2009, 11:48:33 AM
I monitor mine once in while. There are tell tale signs that the sensor goes bad like staying at a high = rich voltage for a long time at idle. I replace them on my first 2007 ultra at about 16,000 miles and the newer 2008 were replaced at 18,000 miles. Looks like every 2 plug changes a sensor changes is on order. This is a European experience with our type of gas and a bike with moderate performance upgrades.

Did you test them to make sure they were actually bad?

Steve Cole

April 20, 2009, 12:51:52 PM #4 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:54:51 PM by Steve Cole
Here is a specification for a normal heated  type O2 sensor. While the HD uses the non-heated version they are similar in function.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HarleyFranco

I just did the conversion. 

Sensors have a life of > 160000 kilometers = approx 100000 miles.

Frank

Blackbaggr

Quote from: Steve Cole on April 20, 2009, 12:51:52 PM
Here is a specification for a normal heated  type O2 sensor. While the HD uses the non-heated version they are similar in function.

Thanks Steve (and everyone else) . Does the bike throw a code & are there symptoms ? Is it sudden death or gradual ?
Out in the field maybe BOB or HERKO have thoughts on this too ?? TIA

Herko

The OE sensors can start to get lazy (not be near as efficient) without throwing a code.
IMO, these are expendable items, relatively inexpensive to replace, especially for the job they do. Having sensors in great working order before a V-Tune process just makes good sense to me. Doing a sensor light off and toggling check is something all OE sensor bikes recv here. Keep a supply on hand here for the ones in question.

Are they "bad" in this lazy condition, depends on the definition of bad.

Once a Delphi system is in good tune, any symptoms may not show for a while.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

ToBeFrank

Herko, how are you checking if the sensors are lazy? Voltmeter? Scope?

ViennaHog

I use the TTS Data master and watch the voltage fluctuation when in closed loop mode. Works with SEST or SERT the same way.

ViennaHog

Quote from: HarleyFranco on April 20, 2009, 03:09:27 PM
I just did the conversion. 

Sensors have a life of > 160000 kilometers = approx 100000 miles.

Frank

Frank, I already gave the numbers in miles.

HarleyFranco

ViennaHog,

I got the info from the cut sheet that Steve inserted in his post.  I am noticing that you replace yours a lot sooner than the specs call for.

Am I missing something here?  I'm not an expert just learning this stuff.

Frank

ViennaHog

Well, maybe the operating conditions in my bike are not average and lead to premature failure of the sensors. I read somewhere that running them under rich conditions could ruin them much earlier. I am sure that I ran the bike rich for sometime until I got the TTS on my hands.
I looked at the sensor signals and they looked lazy to me and I replaced them. At $24 or so a piece a manageable expense.

Herko

April 21, 2009, 11:32:28 AM #13 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:36:11 AM by Herko
Quote from: ToBeFrank on April 20, 2009, 08:35:40 PM

I use DM of the TTST and observe time to light-off and the pattern exhibited once in the toggling mode.
Had a sensor once that would jump in and out of toggle mode and was throwing curve balls into the tune process.
Was searching other areas for the culprit until Doc 1 (thanks Doc) suggested this check out.
Replaced sensor(s) and viola'.
Have subsequently checked for good sensor functionality patterns on all tunes on bikes with OE sensors.
I set close to 450 mv as possible in the CLB's to enhance the check...then back to desired bias voltage for tune.

Blackbaggr

One more multi-part question along the same line....

I'm looking for the specifics on the Bosch part number that HD uses for the stock sensor  (I wanna see if I can find it through an auto parts supplier rather than the dealership...kinda curious about price difference ($54). My closest dealer doesn't stock them and they haven't had any since '06???)

On the same note...I have an associate with a Thundermax that is curious about replacement wide band sensors for his unit...other than through Zippers.

TIA

ToBeFrank

Quote from: Herko on April 21, 2009, 11:32:28 AM
Quote from: ToBeFrank on April 20, 2009, 08:35:40 PM

I use DM of the TTST and observe time to light-off and the pattern exhibited once in the toggling mode.
Had a sensor once that would jump in and out of toggle mode and was throwing curve balls into the tune process.
Was searching other areas for the culprit until Doc 1 (thanks Doc) suggested this check out.
Replaced sensor(s) and viola'.
Have subsequently checked for good sensor functionality patterns on all tunes on bikes with OE sensors.
I set close to 450 mv as possible in the CLB's to enhance the check...then back to desired bias voltage for tune.

No offense, but using the data log to determine if a sensor is lazy will likely result in a high percentage of the sensors discarded actually being perfectly fine. The sample rate simply isn't high enough to get reliable data.

Herko

Frank, no offense taken. I know what works here. Spark plugs can be tested too. I'm sure many spark plugs have been discarded that "tested" good.
Selling sensors is definitely not the theme. Some can be a real PITA to R&R.

ToBeFrank

Quote from: Herko on April 21, 2009, 02:41:59 PM
Frank, no offense taken. I know what works here. Spark plugs can be tested too. I'm sure many spark plugs have been discarded that "tested" good.
Selling sensors is definitely not the theme. Some can be a real PITA to R&R.

Well, you have the additional problem that a lazy sensor could look good. There's no way to know the difference because of the sampling rate.

nc-renegade

Anyone know the OEM number/manufacture of the stock narrowband sensors?
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

WVULTRA

When I replaced the sensors during winter upgrade, the originals and new ones were definitely Bosch.  Recently tried to read the numbers, but even with reading glasses I just couldn't make out the exact numbers..........

:embarrassed:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Ram

Quote from: nc-renegade on April 29, 2009, 09:08:38 AM
Anyone know the OEM number/manufacture of the stock narrowband sensors?

When searching for them to add onto my '06, I discovered these on e-bay.  Ran the pn through my parts guy at the dealship and they are for an '07.

2 BRAND NEW GENUINE HARLEY OXYGEN SENSOR H-D pn = 27683-07 XL FLHT FLHR FLHTC MADE BY BOSCH

And is stamped onto the side of it as well. The @ is a trade mark symbol, and the ( )'s are actually a circle around the number 982.

@ BOSCH
F00HL00212
27683-07
886 09 N E
LSS33 (982)

Hope that this helps.
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

Blackbaggr

Just checked the part number on Zanotti's website... SENSOR OXYGEN UNHEATED   

nc-renegade

Thanks, I was hoping to find the cross-over number for Bosch.  Does not seem to cross-over so I guess I will buy one through HD.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Blackbaggr

$54 at my closest dealership. $28 and change through Zanotti. I'm sure the other discounters are similar.

WVULTRA

Quote from: dsanchez on April 30, 2009, 09:13:44 AM
$54 at my closest dealership. $28 and change through Zanotti. I'm sure the other discounters are similar.

In my dealings with Zanotti, shipping costs were high unless you had a large order.  For the usual 20% or more discount plus actual shipping charges regardless of order/items, give Jenni a call here:

Jenni Sapyta
5960 Dixie Highway
Fairfield,Ohio 45014
http://www.tri-countyharleydavidson.com/
513-874-4343

Her service is excellent!

Have also received excellent price, service, and support on performance upgrades from our own Herko (John) here:

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

:up:

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS