May 05, 2024, 01:56:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New M8 motors don't /can't drip from Stage1 A/C

Started by DeneFLHR, December 11, 2016, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeneFLHR

My friend up here in BC bought a new Limited. Fantastic machine and he got the Stage 1 negotiated into the purchase.
I mentioned to him to wait until those stupid air cleaners, (Ventilator style on his by the way), start dripping all over the cam cover. I asked if the dealer thought the stock a/c was choking his stock motor but I guess it didn't matter as the new air cleaner came as a package with download, tuner, Street Cannons, ( sounds amazing). He said the people at the dealership said the new designed motors don't have that common, embarrassing problem of dripping as the head breathers are dumped back into the tranny?
He has about 600kms on his new bike with no sign of any drips yet. Is this true that they routed to the tranny? If this is "the new way", what a huge step in getting rid of oil everywhere!
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

happyman

December 11, 2016, 02:29:45 PM #1 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:45:27 PM by happyman
sounds like a fairy tale. Then again never know either. be checking your trans for overfull then regularly.. 

Hossamania

If true, not a great idea in my mind, that vent dumps dirty oil and water. I would not want that going into my tranny.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

I just looked at a thread further down about the head breathers, looks like they vent the old fashioned way, right back into the throttle body.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

DeneFLHR

2019 FLTRX "Fin"

RXBOB

I have done the external breather set up on my M8 so that can be done but yes there is a hose that runs from the rear head down to the gearbox case, my bet is that there is a gallery there that goes to the sump for oil return

rbabos

Quote from: RXBOB on December 11, 2016, 03:21:13 PM
I have done the external breather set up on my M8 so that can be done but yes there is a hose that runs from the rear head down to the gearbox case, my bet is that there is a gallery there that goes to the sump for oil return

Agree. You don't want to dump engine oil into the gear box. Most likely as you say it's routed to the sump as the final destination.
Ron

PoorUB

What they are doing is confusing the breathers with the oil return for the oil cooled heads. there is a external oil line from the rear head to a fitting in the tranny area that drains oil to the oil tank.

One thing I have learned over the years is salesmen rarely know any significant mechanical details. They can tell what color of paint you can get, but don't ask for mechanical details!

When I bought my 2016 Limited the salesperson told me the engine had SE255 cams, it doesn't.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

bigfoot5x

Somebody should also talk to the salesman about the term, "common, embarrassing problem of oil dripping from air filter". He is not good for business at all. He is living in the past. My experience has been that it won't leak with the stock air filter and cover or if properly serviced every 5000 miles after Stage I.

Salesman might be correct with highly modified engines but I've not had the problem.

happyman

so now disconnect the hose from the tranny,  run that slime into a small container and no mess in  AC, and the trans. will not be contaminated either.  should be easy nuff 

rigidthumper

That is the return line for the oil cooled heads found on RG/SG/RK. Not used on water cooled models. I usually ignore the sales guys when it comes to tech info. They typically know enough to be dangerous.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?