May 09, 2024, 02:44:10 PM

News:

1976 FXE Forward Controls

Started by SanB2013, December 11, 2016, 02:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanB2013

The snow is here so guess it's time to begin some changes on the 76" FXE.  I'm going to go with forward controls and running boards.  Mu one question is will this change the shift pattern?  Currently it's 1 down 3 up.  The attached pictures are of the mid-mount linkage.  From checking out pictures of other bikes I believe the shift pattern will remain the same.  Also when I remove the shift arm from the inner primary will I need to plug the hole the arm goes trough?  Also is there a special fitting to use to plug the hole if necessary?  This is still using the primary chain.

Thanks, Steve
1976 FXE

JamLazyAss

Your shift pattern will remain the same.
Test it by pressing your current shift lever down, towards first gear.
You should see the upper arm pictured go in the same direction.

As for the hole,
If you are talking about that 'Oval" shape piece, they sell them without a hole for forward controls.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

david lee

shifting patten stays the same and you have to take the inner primary off to remove selector shaft and also plug the hole or put on a flh inner primary.why are you going forward controls.i did the same once and regretted it and went back to stock.might make sense if your a tall person that does a lot of highway riding

JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

dirtymike

you have a FLH outter primary on it for the left floor board. now. For the right side you will need to weld a tab on the frame for the rear mount of the floor board. I converted to boards a few years ago and it seems more comfortable on long rides, city not so much.   

tmwmoose

On the back side of the primary were the shifter went thru I pulled the seal and siliconed a quarter or nickle forget which one fit and put a new seal over it .

SanB2013

Quote from: JamLazyAss on December 11, 2016, 02:45:11 PM
Here is the cover you will need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-PANHEAD-SHOVELHEAD-EVO-TWIN-CAM-CHROME-INSPECTION-COVER-FOR-1965-UP-/172411067797?hash=item2824801d95:g:0OYAAOSwuwRYLJPM&vxp=mtr
I'm not tall but the mid controls just don't feel right so I just want to give it a try. My last bike was ridged with floorboards and stock type forward controls and was very comfortable. I've had a couple of sportsters with their mid controls and liked them a lot but they sat more compact.
1976 FXE

SanB2013

Quote from: dirtymike on December 11, 2016, 03:56:46 PM
you have a FLH outter primary on it for the left floor board. now. For the right side you will need to weld a tab on the frame for the rear mount of the floor board. I converted to boards a few years ago and it seems more comfortable on long rides, city not so much.

Thanks for the link, I'll will need one of those.  I was referring to the hole on the inner primary cover where the shift arm passes through to the other side.  tmwmoose had the idea of using silicone to seal a coin of the proper size, sounds like a good idea to me.
1976 FXE

SanB2013

Quote from: tmwmoose on December 11, 2016, 04:05:41 PM
On the back side of the primary were the shifter went thru I pulled the seal and siliconed a quarter or nickle forget which one fit and put a new seal over it .

I believe my frame has the tab for the right side floorboard bracket.  The attached picture is from the right side forward of the existing foot peg.
1976 FXE

david lee

Quote from: SanB2013 on December 11, 2016, 04:21:42 PM

Quote from: JamLazyAss on December 11, 2016, 02:45:11 PM
Here is the cover you will need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-PANHEAD-SHOVELHEAD-EVO-TWIN-CAM-CHROME-INSPECTION-COVER-FOR-1965-UP-/172411067797?hash=item2824801d95:g:0OYAAOSwuwRYLJPM&vxp=mtr
I'm not tall but the mid controls just don't feel right so I just want to give it a try. My last bike was ridged with floorboards and stock type forward controls and was very comfortable. I've had a couple of sportsters with their mid controls and liked them a lot but they sat more compact.
i hope your happy when its done as its a big job to reverse it back to stock as i found out like removing the inner primary again to fit the selector shaft.what i have seen is when people do what your doing is to leave the stock selector shaft in and put a clamp on where the gear lever bolts on which is an easy way out if you go back to stock controls

76shuvlinoff

Personally I really like boards. I don't have enough inseam for forward pegs without killing my knees in 50 miles and mids make me feel bunched up. I did put some mid pegs on an 09 FX just to have a place to move my feet to from the forward pegs.
With boards I can move my feet around just about enough to stay comfortable. I don't have highway pegs on my 12 EG but I might change that this winter.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 12, 2016, 03:02:09 PM
Personally I really like boards. I don't have enough inseam for forward pegs without killing my knees in 50 miles and mids make me feel bunched up. I did put some mid pegs on an 09 FX just to have a place to move my feet to from the forward pegs.
With boards I can move my feet around just about enough to stay comfortable. I don't have highway pegs on my 12 EG but I might change that this winter.

Mark
i agree forward pegs on a long ride are knee breakers if your a short person.iwent back to mid controls as my riding is mostly city riding but have kept the boards so i can just slip on for long rides

Topjimmy1

Hey Steve... I was not going to run boards on mine since it sits in the weeds already, but in looking thru all my parts for a banana caliper the other day (lol) I found a set of boards n controls I acquired years back that mount more forward completely off of the stock mounts where the front motor mount crosses the down tubes... bolted them on and have pretty damn good ground clearance, but riding it will probably make me rethink that, lol,  I can try to send a pic of what they look like, don't know who made them. And I believe you said you were not too tall? I also put a round swingarm on it with the 11 inch shorty shocks and it sure sat it down... love the low ridin' bikes...
If you can't beat 'em, get a bigger beater

SanB2013

Quote from: Topjimmy1 on January 05, 2017, 10:33:10 PM
Hey Steve... I was not going to run boards on mine since it sits in the weeds already, but in looking thru all my parts for a banana caliper the other day (lol) I found a set of boards n controls I acquired years back that mount more forward completely off of the stock mounts where the front motor mount crosses the down tubes... bolted them on and have pretty damn good ground clearance, but riding it will probably make me rethink that, lol,  I can try to send a pic of what they look like, don't know who made them. And I believe you said you were not too tall? I also put a round swingarm on it with the 11 inch shorty shocks and it sure sat it down... love the low ridin' bikes...

Pictures are always great.  Along with the boards and relocated controls I'm removing the 4" over tubes and replacing with stock length due to my short legs so any ideas for "short" will be greatly appreciated.  Also I'm thinking about leaving the mid foot pegs to be able to move my feet for more comfort.  I have tried the highway pegs out front and they just don't work for me.
1976 FXE

Topjimmy1

I'll try to get some shots tomorrow
If you can't beat 'em, get a bigger beater

76shuvlinoff

To get lower I don't recommend short shocks unless you can find some upper end ones. The cheap shorties I had really rode like crap. I am currently using a longer than stock take off shock from an 05 FX on my 76 FLH in combination with an adjustable swingarm and really like the ride.
I have 3 degree bearing cups in the neck kicking it out and lowering it but it's not a lot. My right side floorboard is moved outward 3/4-7/8" to accommodate a Thunderheader. It's usually dragging in a right hand curve so I am considering bringing the front end back in and the rear back up a notch just to reduce that.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

SanB2013

Quote from: tmwmoose on December 11, 2016, 04:05:41 PM

I was thinking about putting a freeze plug in there but am having trouble finding on that will fit.  It's smaller than 1" and may be a metric size.  Anyone else done this before?
1976 FXE

SanB2013

I found a freeze plug that fit perfectly in the shifter shaft hole in the inner primary cover.  It was a 25 mm plug I found at a local auto parts store.  If anyone is interested I have the Dorman part#.
1976 FXE

crock

Crock

SanB2013

The freeze plug is a Dorman 555-097

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 FXE

Hogman

Quote from: SanB2013 on February 18, 2017, 06:17:26 AM
The freeze plug is a Dorman 555-097

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive! Looks Like it Fits QUITE Nicely Sir!

ME
Hogman