May 01, 2024, 12:02:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Temps

Started by RXBOB, December 11, 2016, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RXBOB

I have plugged in my PV and run the SE Race tuner with display and observed that the normal operating temp is over 300*f on my new M8.

Did a full days riding over the weekend and the ambient temp reach well over 100*f and with an average speed of 85mph the engine temp reach 350f.

Thought stuff it its under warranty so keep pushing on.

The bike for the two days did over 500miles and averaged 45mpg

Bike ran sweet didn't use any oil so all up pretty happy but just curious on the high tempo on the M8 compared to my Twin Cam?

rbabos

Quote from: RXBOB on December 11, 2016, 02:48:56 PM
I have plugged in my PV and run the SE Race tuner with display and observed that the normal operating temp is over 300*f on my new M8.

Did a full days riding over the weekend and the ambient temp reach well over 100*f and with an average speed of 85mph the engine temp reach 350f.

Thought stuff it its under warranty so keep pushing on.

The bike for the two days did over 500miles and averaged 45mpg

Bike ran sweet didn't use any oil so all up pretty happy but just curious on the high tempo on the M8 compared to my Twin Cam?
Likely it's the factory tune being leaned out some. It would drop with a tad more fuel. 300 isn't disastrous by no means but it would have an effect of higher oil temps that will follow along. How's the oil temp?
Ron

RXBOB

No factory tune has been on the dyno and has a custom tune

Oil temps no idea need a temp gauge

strobeen

I noticed with the PV and M8 it has 2 temps you can display. The engine temp and the head temp. They both show different temps. Apparently the head temp sensor is on the rear head now. But I don't know where the engine temp sensor is ? They both show in the 300 deg ranges after riding a while. I'm running the stock tune. I only use the PV to monitor right now, it was married to another bike.

RXBOB

Quote from: strobeen on December 11, 2016, 07:43:07 PM
I noticed with the PV and M8 it has 2 temps you can display. The engine temp and the head temp. They both show different temps. Apparently the head temp sensor is on the rear head now. But I don't know where the engine temp sensor is ? They both show in the 300 deg ranges after riding a while. I'm running the stock tune. I only use the PV to monitor right now, it was married to another bike.

Yes noticed all they same you have mentioned, so ATM it sounds completely normal ( My PV is same only monitoring)

Jamie Long

ET scaling is different on the M8 than on earlier models. M8 temp on the databus is reported considerably higher than on Twin Cam models even though they are running at similar temps.

joe_lyons

Are the m8s reading head temps instead of engine temp's like twin cams
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901