April 26, 2024, 11:21:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How low will it go

Started by Lew, November 10, 2008, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

Hey guys, reading the thread on the raked cups has got me thinking....how much drop in frame height is there when adding the raked neck cups.  I installed two inch over tubes because I didn't like dragging my FL through the curves.  Was thinking the bike might handle at speed better (ok...and look better) if I were to run the raked cups.  I've also dropped the rear about an inch by moving the shock mounts back.  Curious to know if doing the raked cups will put me back where I started.  Open to any info....comments.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

pappyfreebird

ol sns mark had that pruty down pat,,,i wanna say dropped maybe 3/4 '' n out bout same,,is a safe guess

76shuvlinoff

yeah that's about it, nothing earth shaking but it does make a little difference.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Lew

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking.  I can live with that.  Always thought I'd like the ride better if there was a bit more rake.  Adding two inches in the front and dropping the back an inch made a difference.  No more dragging around curves and I can get in the saddle easier.  Been thinking if adding these cups gave me a bit more rake I'd be right where I want to be.  Might add this to my winter to do list.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

stroker800

So if the stock frame rake is 32 degrees then 3 in the cups...you have 35....I don't where I'm goin with this,,,just thinkin out loud. We had put the cups in a stock heritage frame with a fxst springer,,never had enuff sense to check drop height BUT had to fab upa lowerin kit for the rear,,,and it dragged the pipes all the time...But it looked cool.
Dave

76shuvlinoff

I may be wrong and correct me if I am but I'm thinking the farther you are from vertical the greater the effect would be with the 3 degree cups as far as lowering goes, (without extending forks or increasing front tire diameter).
I started out with the stock flh 30 degree frame netting me 33 degrees and I did keep the stock fork length and lowered the rear. However if you are already at 32 going to 35 without doing anything else then you would drop the front more than I did.  Even more if raking the neck to say 36  then adding cups to 39 etc etc etc.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway