May 02, 2024, 11:52:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS EFI Tuning Guide

Started by Steve Cole, April 20, 2009, 07:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Cole

For those of yoou that have been asking you can now get the EFI Tuning Guide by running your software updater and it will install it on your desktop for you.

Enjoy a little light reading on how to tune your HD Delphi EFI System.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

wolf_59

Steve, Thanks for sharing information on this board

Blackbaggr

Steve...

Any and all help is appreciated !  :up:

The tuning guide you mention....is this the one from Doc ?

FSG

Quote....is this the one from Doc ?

No

Hogflash

FYI, you can also download the manual PDF directly from http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp  --Gary

WVULTRA

I may be confused here, but in Section 4.11.1 on Right Extending VTune Row Values, there are examples of VE Percentage values being extended to the right.

Below Figure 4.17 is this statement:

QuoteIn figure 4.18, the 4 rows have been extended from the 15% column all the way to the 100%TPS column.  Because the data trend for each row is fairly flat, the last VTune value is used to fill each TPS position to the right.

NOTE: Only extend the row from the cell where the kPa is 80-85 kPa or above!  You can refer to the DataMaster recording to determine exactly where this boundary occurs.

The part that reads: where the kPa is 80-85 kPa or above is what I don't understand. 

???
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Steve Cole

You are reading it right. There are two issues that come into play. The ECM will only allow the system to learn to around 80 - 85 kPa so that is where we want you to get before you extend the values to the right. The second thing is the VE table is done based on TP, so where is 80 kPa? It will vary as the RPM varies. At low engine speeds you can reach 80 kPa at 10% TP at higher RPM that will be closer to 80% TP. So you need to make sure to check your data and see where you are at first before extending to the right.

greg1140

Steve,

Your tuning guide was very helpful and cleared up a lot of questions I had, saved me a lot of time...thanks.
Greg

ViennaHog

Steve, very well done and much better than the competition. The trouble shooting routines are great.

FSG

Steve, out of courtesy are we OK to place this doc and the one by Doc referred to by Bill (reply # 2) in the HTT Doc's Section?

Steve Cole

I cannot speak for the one Doc did as that is not ours. He did that on his own so you would need to ask him. If you want to place our up that's fine as long as there is something saying where it came from.

kevmac

07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

WVULTRA

Quote from: Steve Cole on April 21, 2009, 10:37:52 AM
You are reading it right. There are two issues that come into play. The ECM will only allow the system to learn to around 80 - 85 kPa so that is where we want you to get before you extend the values to the right. The second thing is the VE table is done based on TP, so where is 80 kPa? It will vary as the RPM varies. At low engine speeds you can reach 80 kPa at 10% TP at higher RPM that will be closer to 80% TP. So you need to make sure to check your data and see where you are at first before extending to the right.

So taking this a step further and referring to Page 49 of the Tuning Manual, we have an example of 82.5 for 15%TP and 1000rpm.  Before expanding this to the right as shown, we can open the VTune Recording in Data Master and see if this value was obtained at 80-85kPa Map?  Where specifically would we verify this in DM?  Would the Histogram come into play for this info?

Still  ???

Steve Cole

Open Datamaster and then load the V-tune recording. Open the vtune histogram and play back the recorded data and watch the Map value on the screen when collecting data in the area your looking for. Then look at the data once you locate it on the main form. The key is that only TTS MT7 calibrations allow for valid data collection in the higher load areas. This is why we recommend that you use the latest released calibrations from us. Without this you cannot see the higher load point areas you need so you can do the extend to the right. Starting from to low of a load point (< 80kPa) will most likely give you a rich running bike at WOT. I know it's not coming out in type well but let's just say that a lot of work has gone into developing this method of tuning and then making it all work so the user gets valid data. Valid data is the key! It cannot be done by simply looking at the data of any calibration as the base calibration has to be set up for this. The HD delphi system does things that need to be handled and there in lies the problem. The system uses the last known good correction whether it is right or not! So let's say the system learns at 60 kPa but no higher. It will take what it learned at that point and apply it all the way to 100 kPa, right or wrong. This is why it's important to get data out as far as one can. If you do you will see it taking shape very nicely. Hope I've explained it well enough.

kevmac

steve, when vtuning how many maxed boxes(127 ve) are ok before going to a larger cid map? I'm currently hitting 5 block on both fron and rear. thax again
kevin
07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

Steve Cole

None in my book! Once the limit is hit the system is out of adjustment, so are we really at 127.5 or would it really have wanted 137?

WVULTRA

Quote from: Steve Cole on April 24, 2009, 09:21:40 AM
Open Datamaster and then load the V-tune recording. Open the vtune histogram and play back the recorded data and watch the Map value on the screen when collecting data in the area your looking for. Then look at the data once you locate it on the main form. The key is that only TTS MT7 calibrations allow for valid data collection in the higher load areas. This is why we recommend that you use the latest released calibrations from us. Without this you cannot see the higher load point areas you need so you can do the extend to the right. Starting from to low of a load point (< 80kPa) will most likely give you a rich running bike at WOT. I know it's not coming out in type well but let's just say that a lot of work has gone into developing this method of tuning and then making it all work so the user gets valid data. Valid data is the key! It cannot be done by simply looking at the data of any calibration as the base calibration has to be set up for this. The HD delphi system does things that need to be handled and there in lies the problem. The system uses the last known good correction whether it is right or not! So let's say the system learns at 60 kPa but no higher. It will take what it learned at that point and apply it all the way to 100 kPa, right or wrong. This is why it's important to get data out as far as one can. If you do you will see it taking shape very nicely. Hope I've explained it well enough.

I understand your explanation (I think) and appreciate your reply; but it now appears to me that this is a very important step in the VTuning process that doesn't have adequate details in the Tuning Guide with regards to expanding out the cell values! 

In a recent VTune my DM and Histo were as such:

I'm now wondering why that MAP value of 88.2 is shaded yellow since the help files state:

"These indicators will be yellow if these limits are not correct."  Is this MAP value too high, or out of range?

If my example is clear to view, there's 28 hits in this particular cell (30%TPS/2500rpm).  Is it safe to assume that all 28 hits to this cell were close to 88kPa MAP?  IOWs, would a cell ever have "hits" that were a result of <80kPa MAP along with >80kPa MAP?

Hope my questions are not too confusing!

:idea:

Steve Cole

The data you show is two things and you need to address them separately. The Hit Count for any one cell shows just how much good data was collected that fit that cell, nothing else. The yellow shows that the data frame you are looking on the main display is out of range and at 88.2 it would be expected. What you can see is that at 14.6 AFR, 27.7% TPS and 2391 RPM you are flowing pretty damn close to max load if your at sea level, but the data is NOT VALID to be used for correction of the VE tables. At sea level you will make about 100 kPa and your at 88.2 kPa. What I can tell you is that by the time you get to 40% TPS (the next cell) at the same RPM point you will be at 100 kPa so every cell from 40 % - 100% will be the same value, as that's all the air your motor combination is going to flow at that RPM.

If you like send me your Datamaster file and the calibration you had in the ECM and I can take a look at it for you.

WVULTRA

Quote from: Steve Cole on April 25, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
If you like send me your Datamaster file and the calibration you had in the ECM and I can take a look at it for you.

PM Sent.

Thanks!

:up: