In your experience what 2 into 1 pipe puts out the best power?

Started by hotbagger1, January 03, 2017, 07:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

My motor is 95ci right now i have a thunderheader, a local shop told me that there much better 2 into 1 pipes that will put out more power . Has anyone  gone from a thunderheader to another pipe and got more power?

JW113

Way too general of a question. A pipe that works good on one bike and one set up could work terrible on another with different set up. On a stock-ish set up, doubt it makes any difference at all which one you use...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

oranjvoodoo

sandrooney

My experience is the D&D Fatcat 2 into 1. I have used them on several bikes. They are awesome.
Patience is such a waste of time .

hotbagger1

hotbagger1

The bike is a 2000 electra glide  the motor is 95ci. With r&r stage2 heads weisco 10.5:1 forged pistons  s&s 585 geardrive cams mikuni hsr 45 carb. And a thunderheader .
It goes real good for what it is , a few of my buddies have 103 dynas with cams and efi remap and i beat them by 2 or 3 bike lengths every time! My bike is a lot heavier than a dyna by at least 100 lbs. I weigh 300lbs and my lightest dyna riding buddy is 200 lbs. So the bike does run really good  but I've been reading about the thunder being bottome of the list performer as far as 2:1 pipes go.

Hossamania

Doesn't sound like it's at the bottom of the list by your description...

It has been known to have a midrange dip in the torque curve, but they have always been known to make good power. And sound great!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: hotbagger1 on January 03, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
My motor is 95ci right now i have a thunderheader, a local shop told me that there much better 2 into 1 pipes that will put out more power . Has anyone  gone from a thunderheader to another pipe and got more power?

Define 'best power' and 'more power'. Way too general of a question.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Barrett

I went from a Supermeg to Propipe. I lost very little on the bottom and gained mid to upper R's.

Buffalo

I also run an old style Pro Pipe, I used it when the engine was 95", making 93.6hp/98 t. I still use it now with my T124 making 126.4hp/134t.
A few years ago Cycle World did a test using 5-6 of the latest 2-1 system on a couple of different engines, all 95". The Pro Pipe and the Thunderheader where among those tested. The Thunderheader did indeed have a minor dip in torque in the lower rpms, but did as well as any, beating a couple, All where within 3-4hp and 3-4t. After that I assumed you picked one because you like the way it looks and sounds. fwiw Buffalo

prodrag1320

for most builds,the pro pipe has worked very well on our work.on our very aggressive,big inch builds the D&D stuff works best

Eglider05

I know you didn't ask about 2-1-2's but I've been through maybe 5 different 2-1's and although I don't have numbers to prove it out my FM 2-1-2 on my 120" feels just as good as most and better than a few on the butt dyno. JMHO

Ric

Rsw

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

pwmorris

No-
what pipes does you "local shop" recommend? What have they done in the past, street HP wise, to trust they know what they are talking about for a 95" motor similar to yours?

You beat your buddies easily who have more cubes and weigh 100 lbs? Why sweat it?

Thought you slowed down and don't "ride it like you stole it", anymore?
You racing them at the local track, which is safer, legal, and a real measuring stick for you and your buddies?

I made 112 HP from a 10.5 96" 15 years ago with a T-header.
How much power are you making? Want more? Might want to work on the rest of the motor.

hotbagger1

Quote from: pwmorris on January 04, 2017, 02:43:39 PM
No-
what pipes does you "local shop" recommend? What have they done in the past, street HP wise, to trust they know what they are talking about for a 95" motor similar to yours?

You beat your buddies easily who have more cubes and weigh 100 lbs? Why sweat it?

Thought you slowed down and don't "ride it like you stole it", anymore?
You racing them at the local track, which is safer, legal, and a real measuring stick for you and your buddies?

I made 112 HP from a 10.5 96" 15 years ago with a T-header.
How much power are you making? Want more? Might want to work on the rest of the motor.

I've had my bike since 03 and I'm getting bored with it I'm just looking for something to make it different so I was going to go with a different style pipe but I didn't want to go backwards and lose power  so I figured if I was spending the money I would go for something that makes a little bit more power then a thunder header. I have calmed down a lot like I've said in the past but I do like to do my stop light drag racing every now and then.

djl

I have run three pipes on my 95" '05 FXSTDI; Bigboyz heads, TW44G cams, 190ccp, SERT tuned to 104TQ/94HP with a Python 3. Then threw on a later style Propipe and no dyno results but the butt dyno didn't register any change. Then threw on a set of Bassani Pro Streets, a 2:2 pipe and, again, no dyno results but the butt dyno registered a stronger motor across the board.  I have never liked the drone from a 2:1 pipe at 75-80mph; solved that problem with the Pro Streets as well.   Of course, without dyno results, not solid input but my point is don't limit pipe selection to 2:1 systems.

pwmorris

Quote from: djl on January 04, 2017, 05:52:38 PM
I have run three pipes on my 95" '05 FXSTDI; Bigboyz heads, TW44G cams, 190ccp, SERT tuned to 104TQ/94HP with a Python 3. Then threw on a later style Propipe and no dyno results but the butt dyno didn't register any change. Then threw on a set of Bassani Pro Streets, a 2:2 pipe and, again, no dyno results but the butt dyno registered a stronger motor across the board.  I have never liked the drone from a 2:1 pipe at 75-80mph; solved that problem with the Pro Streets as well.   Of course, without dyno results, not solid input but my point is don't limit pipe selection to 2:1 systems.
On a tech site, the butt dyno don't cut it. Verified 94 hp SAE, ain't gonna cut it.
Beat his Thunderheader numbers on a repeatable test and post it.
As said, he isn't gonna change his pipe, as he is already beating his buddies who have a 100 lb weight advantage and more cubes.

Hossamania

If you are bored with your bike with its motor and pipe set up, a new pipe is not going to make you much more excited. A new pipe is not going to magically add 20 horsepower. I doubt it will add 10 horse. And new pipes are not cheap.
Time to pull the motor down and stroke it to 103", 110", or more. Or, crate S&S 124" motor.
I really like my 95" motor, I really like beating bikes with bigger motors. And I really like my Thunderheader.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

C-Cat

Quote from: hotbagger1 on January 04, 2017, 04:58:19 AM
The bike is a 2000 electra glide  the motor is 95ci. With r&r stage2 heads weisco 10.5:1 forged pistons  s&s 585 geardrive cams mikuni hsr 45 carb. And a thunderheader .
It goes real good for what it is , a few of my buddies have 103 dynas with cams and efi remap and i beat them by 2 or 3 bike lengths every time! My bike is a lot heavier than a dyna by at least 100 lbs. I weigh 300lbs and my lightest dyna riding buddy is 200 lbs. So the bike does run really good  but I've been reading about the thunder being bottome of the list performer as far as 2:1 pipes go.
Some are better for certain applications. Sounds like your T-Header is suited for that 95CI. Run it and don't look back! How the pipe runs over the road is what counts.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on January 04, 2017, 06:53:54 PM
If you are bored with your bike with its motor and pipe set up, a new pipe is not going to make you much more excited. A new pipe is not going to magically add 20 horsepower. I doubt it will add 10 horse. And new pipes are not cheap.
Time to pull the motor down and stroke it to 103", 110", or more. Or, crate S&S 124" motor.
I really like my 95" motor, I really like beating bikes with bigger motors. And I really like my Thunderheader.
Hoss sounds like you got a good engine and I seen what a smaller engine in a lighter bike will do . I would just drive it till used up

djl

Quote from: pwmorrisOn a tech site, the butt dyno don't cut it. Verified 94 hp SAE, ain't gonna cut it. Beat his Thunderheader numbers on a repeatable test and post it.
As said, he isn't gonna change his pipe, as he is already beating his buddies who have a 100 lb weight advantage and more cubes.

Well, I haven't seen the OPs numbers, so I don't know if 94HP will "cut it" or not but that was not the point of my post.  I also qualified that butt dyno measurement was not solid input but thanks for pointing both out. :doh: We must be reading different posts; in #16, the OP does indicate that he is considering changing his exhaust but doesn't want to give up any performance by making a change.:unsure: 

All I am saying is that the OP might want to consider other exhaust options and not limit choices to 2:1 systems based on my experience, albeit not verified by dyno results. Just something for the OP to consider since the Pro Streets do make power.:wink:

JohnCA58

YOLO

pwmorris

Quote from: djl on January 05, 2017, 08:09:52 AM
Well, I haven't seen the OPs numbers, so I don't know if 94HP will "cut it" or not but that was not the point of my post.  I also qualified that butt dyno measurement was not solid input but thanks for pointing both out. :doh: We must be reading different posts; in #16, the OP does indicate that he is considering changing his exhaust but doesn't want to give up any performance by making a change.:unsure: 

All I am saying is that the OP might want to consider other exhaust options and not limit choices to 2:1 systems based on my experience, albeit not verified by dyno results. Just something for the OP to consider since the Pro Streets do make power.:wink:
Yes, the Prostreets make good power with the correct motor combo, so apparently does the Dragula, Supertrapp, and probably a few other-but I read the original post-

He wants real world testing on someone who went from a T Header to another pipe and made more power. Simple question.

Buffalo's Cycle World post is the closest real test in this thread, even though the motor combos are probably different...
[quote author=Buffalo link=topic=95801.msg1112680#msg1112680 date=1483554817]
I also run an old style Pro Pipe, I used it when the engine was 95", making 93.6hp/98 t. I still use it now with my T124 making 126.4hp/134t.
A few years ago Cycle World did a test using 5-6 of the latest 2-1 system on a couple of different engines, all 95". The Pro Pipe and the Thunderheader where among those tested. The Thunderheader did indeed have a minor dip in torque in the lower rpms, but did as well as any, beating a couple, All where within 3-4hp and 3-4t. After that I assumed you picked one because you like the way it looks and sounds. fwiw Buffalo
[/quote]

At only 95" at mild compression, it's hard to make big hp gains with a pipe change, as long as the pipe currently being used is not actually holding the motor back (too small head pipes, poor design, etc), which is not the case with the Thunderheader.
Look like to me, based on the actual CW test, the Thunderheader hung in there within a couple HP, so no, I ain't spending 7-800 bucks for a wash, unless of course guys want to ship him a few free pipes to test.
Like I said, I made 112 at 10.5  in a 96" with a Thunderheader-first shootout win on a legit, Dynojet Dealership dyno, on a level playing field in front of dozens of people (no games here).
Leave the pipe as is.