May 08, 2024, 08:57:00 PM

News:

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

I came to Indianapolis for the 500 and had a few days to spare so I couldn't resist heading down Durwood's way and saying hello. He's about 200 miles south of Indy.

We shook hands, said hello, and exchanged a few words...and then he pointed to his Road Glide and said "you gotta ride that thing". Well you don't have to ask me twice... :wink:

We warmed it up (it started very nicely and ran smooth and without issue cold) and after it built a little heat, I was off.

If choosing one word to describe it's performance, the word that comes to mind is impressive.   The acceleration is instantaneous and strong. Very crisp right off the bottom and it pulls hard until you decide to shift. Yes, I was very impressed...to say the least. And having worked at a dealer for about a year, I've ridden a LOT of bikes - stock and modified.

I know a lot has to do with the fact that this one has been tuned to a gnat's ass but even the best tuning won't make power like this. Nothing special on the exhaust side of things - stock headpipe and re-cored stock mufflers. A good air cleaner to be sure. But the cam is the big player here...and the dialed-in tune.

We had lunch at a great local pizza joint and shot the sh*t some more...and then I ordered me some cams and left.  :smiled:

Colorado Springs, CO.

NCTURBOS

Daren,

Any comparison thoughts between the 460 cam and the stock decat headpipe exhaust setup verses the D&D exhaust? Could you tell any difference in riding the bike versus what the dyno numbers show?

TIA,

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Durwood

Quote from: NCTURBOS on June 05, 2017, 12:54:06 PM
Daren,

Any comparison thoughts between the 460 cam and the stock decat headpipe exhaust setup verses the D&D exhaust? Could you tell any difference in riding the bike versus what the dyno numbers show?

TIA,

K.
I haven't logged enough miles with the billet cat to give a real good comparison of seat of the pants, I tuned it with the BC, then swapped the pipes to get a good dyno comparison.

My wife and I went on a two up, loaded, 200 mile ride in it's current configuration this past Sunday through some twisty roads in southern Indiana and it was an absolute pleasure to ride, going into tight curves letting the rpm's drop to 1500 rpm in 4th, then I intentionally stayed in 4th and slow rolled the throttle from there, and it was immediately on the cam and into the next curve.

Never a complaint from the engine bay.

02rk59

Daren,

If you don't mind me asking.....how far from Louisville are you?

Durwood

Swapped out mufflers yesterday and re-tuned the bike, here it is with the Screamin Eagle Street Cannon's, de-cat head pipe, and Cycle-Rama 460 cam.
[attach=0]

sfmichael

that is crazy  :smileo: ....it builds the torque practically right off idle   :bike:

I'm excited to put the Cyclerama cams in my bike  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

NCTURBOS

Daren,

What kind of head & engine temps. are you seeing on your bike while riding & testing?

TIA,

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Durwood

Quote from: NCTURBOS on July 21, 2017, 08:14:22 AM
Daren,

What kind of head & engine temps. are you seeing on your bike while riding & testing?

TIA,

K.
I run it to 280 ET on the dyno, but have seen higher temps on the road.

With the temp sensor in the rear head now, like a Sportster higher temp readings will be seen, but in fact the Milwaukee Eight is running at very similar temps as it's predecessor, just reads higher.

RXBOB

Quote from: Durwood on July 21, 2017, 01:14:59 PM
Quote from: NCTURBOS on July 21, 2017, 08:14:22 AM
Daren,

TIA,

K.
I run it to 280 ET on the dyno, but have seen higher temps on the road.

I have noticed the same on my M8 ( Highway work only) see temps of 315* on the PV

With the temp sensor in the rear head now, like a Sportster higher temp readings will be seen, but in fact the Milwaukee Eight is running at very similar temps as it's predecessor, just reads higher.

Durwood

Bob, that is in the normal range.

RXBOB

Sunny Jim

Well Darren, I bit the bullet and ordered a CR460 from Wes. It's on it's way to Western Australia. Let's put this baby to the test.

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on August 11, 2017, 07:01:21 AM
Well Darren, I bit the bullet and ordered a CR460 from Wes. It's on it's way to Western Australia. Let's put this baby to the test.
:up: :up:

mark61

Any chance you can or will test tune with a Pro Pipe? I love that 2 into 1 look!
Thanks for sharing your info! Look forwards to reading new posts on this thread!

Durwood

Quote from: mark61 on September 07, 2017, 11:24:01 PM
Any chance you can or will test tune with a Pro Pipe? I love that 2 into 1 look!
Thanks for sharing your info! Look forwards to reading new posts on this thread!
Unless someone brings a bike in with a pro-pipe, not likely, but I did test the D&D Billet Cat, and it did very well.

Next testing on the horizon for the stage 2, CR-460, 107" shop bike is air cleaners, once I get caught up on my work.

Daren

CR3999

September 27, 2017, 04:58:47 PM #190 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:19:37 PM by CR3999
Daren, I've been running the V&H power pipe with the Rhinehart 4" muffs. I swap the Rhineharts from the SE muffs. If I go back to the SE muffs do you think it'll raise the left side? I'm running the Woods 222.
The thing feels like a Twinke

Durwood

I would change the cam, mufflers and re-tune, the 222 doesn't hit early enough for me.

S&S just recently released a head pipe for the Milwaukee Eight that I will be testing soon. The M8 Power Tune Dual head pipe with it's 1.750" outlets on both sides allow for use of any slip on from 1995-2016, this opens up a ton of possibilities as far as muffler selection.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/sspower-tune-duals-for-2017-18-m8-fl-models---chrome/

If you have any other questions shoot me a pm.

HD/Wrench

Every 222 hits way late in my opinion .  . The specs on that cam are huge . Think a bit smaller than the  SE 515 and larger than the 498.   What looks good for selling parts does not always feel as good on the street

CR3999

Thanks a lot guys!
Daren, looking forward to the testing. PM sent. I really don't like the SEs, there to quiet for me. But I'll use them for the power they produce.

lucasg

Really appreciate all your hard work Darren on the R & D with the different combinations you're testing on the new M8 bikes.  Have you had a chance to test any of the new S&S mufflers such as the MK45, Eldorado, Grand Nationals ?  I've listened to some sound clips and gotta say, they sound pretty darn good, especially the MK45's.

Keep up the good work sir... :up:

flh canuck

Quote from: flh canuck on February 18, 2017, 10:58:24 AM
I am not really happy to see these great results you are getting with the new M8 engine.

I road tested one a few months back and tried really hard not to be impressed by the smoothness and power right out of the box.

Now I am trying really hard to not trade my present ride in on a new 2017. 

The results of your testing are doing nothing to help my resolve ....  :SM:

Resolve officially broken.... Rode my brand new 2018 Ultra Limited home last week. Absolutely loving the power and torque of this motor right out of the box. Of course after viewing this thread, a simple cam change, header d-cat and power vision with dyno tune is likely in my future.... I am going to see how long I can leave this machine stock but suspect it will be like the time I tried to stop drinking beer.... :wink:
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

rigidthumper

Ya? How did that 10 minutes go?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Durwood

November 23, 2017, 04:36:17 PM #197 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:08:44 PM by Durwood
"Any comparison thoughts between the 460 cam and the stock decat headpipe exhaust setup verses the D&D exhaust? Could you tell any difference in riding the bike versus what the dyno numbers show?"

Kevin, I just bolted the Billet Cat back on, taking a ride this weekend and will let you know about the SOP feel compared to the 2-1-2 exhaust I have been running.     

kjd

Thank you Daren for sharing your test results.
I am re-launching JD's cycle works in eastern PA and I look forward to doing a lot of research with the M8. This is very informative information and will be a helpful resource for our new journey with these new motors.
   Dave

rigidthumper

Quote from: Jds on November 24, 2017, 01:44:20 PM
Thank you Daren for sharing your test results.
I am re-launching JD's cycle works in eastern PA and I look forward to doing a lot of research with the M8. This is very informative information and will be a helpful resource for our new journey with these new motors.
   Dave

:up: :up: :up:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?