April 28, 2024, 05:50:21 AM

News:

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Butt and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 12, 2018, 01:26:23 PM
Quote from: Durwood on November 26, 2017, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 26, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
Quote from: Durwood on November 26, 2017, 07:09:30 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 26, 2017, 07:01:01 AM
He's baaaack.
Post 200 is a great one, looks like we are still lacking a really good non restrictive AC for the M8 at this level. I wonder how bad they are hold back the bigger M8 builds.

What cam, pipe, and other mods to the engine at the time of the AC testing?

Almost forgot
GREAT Job thanks for posting.
Finally got a chance to play a little.

During this testing it was with the de-cat head pipe, Fullsac 2" cores and CR-460.

:up:
You may want to try the SE M8 Heavy breather #29400264 to see how it compares.
That's in the plan for down the road.

Just a thought after looking at some other threads both here and in the dyno section I think testing a better TB and or manifold would be my next step. Just like the air cleaner, small changes to improve the intake tract will most likely give noticeable returns in HP. The stock head flow is clearly more than adequate at this level but is it flowing at 100% on the bike. I know many will feel that the stock TB is big enough but this is not about TB bore at the throttle plate it is about resistance to flow up stream of the port itself.
Thanks again for all your effort.
Intake manifold is already on the radar.

yobtaf103

Quote from: Durwood on November 25, 2017, 06:02:53 AM
As I mentioned when we got to stage 2 the AC element was removed as it was holding back the power, I only had the SE stage one at the time and not much available in aftermarket air cleaners.

But since, there have been some introduced to the market. I would still like to try a Heavy breather.

Here are the results of the air cleaner testing for those that are interested.

Click on graph then maximize for full size image.
[attach=0]

Great work , thanks
re- air filters seems a lot of guys are just fitting K&N HD1717 to stock airbox for a stage 1 ( $50)
Seems to have more area than the SE stage 1 filter, wonder what that flows like ?

Durwood

[/quote]

Great work , thanks
re- air filters seems a lot of guys are just fitting K&N HD1717 to stock airbox for a stage 1 ( $50)
Seems to have more area than the SE stage 1 filter, wonder what that flows like ?
[/quote]I  personally haven't tested one. Sorry.

HD/Wrench

The heads flow amazing in stock form . Rick Ward who is a member on here has been CNC porting the 64 t/b and getting very nice gains there ..  As all of these builds from other shops keep moving forward its going to be great data mining for sure.  Where the exact point of needed head porting is where the larger t/b is 100% needed  and not just that

But more so what gains or loss is going to be there with larger this or that.. 

We have a set of ported heads slated for a build this spring that are in the 365+ CFM range  with some stock parts .. So that amount of flow is impressive . now add that to a very large bore engine say 134  what will this yield in honest real world numbers ... 

Tons of guys in the HD side and several that are not are doing things for these new engines..   Its been very cool to speak with many of them and the results they are sharing are very impressive . Then you get the guys that have the contacts to make new bigger parts so to speak cylinders , design of the  piston correctly .  and producing something that has not been done..

A test I want to try is coming up if all goes well.. Piston dome shape is going to be something that in the past was not looked at but it showing on several builds that is can be an aid in making more power .. 

Many new  and exciting prodcuts coming to market  . At least I think they are exciting  :up:

1FSTRK

What does any of that have to do with Darren's tests and thread?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

Air cleaners on to t/b manifolds  its in the previous posting that is all testing right .. 

Durwood is using his bike as a step by step test mule.. manifolds in his posting . well whats next??!!..  You may not feel it has anything to do with .. your opinion..   :up:

Herko

Thread is not dead.
Additional informative testing is forthcoming.
Current focus of this thread (Daren/Durwood's thread) is on Stage 2 M8 107 builds.
His use of regimented testing procedures will continue.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

1FSTRK

:up: :up:
I did not mean for my manifold post to take this thread off topic. Thanks for all you do in testing and sharing the info in this thread.

Herko

1FSTRK, your posts bring value to the thread.
It's the me too, social media rambling type posts about non relevant items that detract from the thread's purpose.
The manifold test will fit the Stage 2 criteria of stopping short of pulling the heads. A Stage 2 plus maybe. But certainly not a Stage 3 or beyond.

HD/Wrench

Keith Would you be so kind as to delete all of my posts from this thread thank you .

Herko

On deck is testing of the M8 Heavy Breather.
Back to back comparison with the SE Stage 1 AC as depicted in reply 200 in this thread.

Cagey

Hey Daren,

Have you seen the new S&S Sidewinder 2-1 exhaust?  Any idea how it will perform with the CR460? 

I like the looks of it better than the Billet Cat so I am leaning towards that one.

Durwood

Quote from: Cagey on February 25, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
Hey Daren,

Have you seen the new S&S Sidewinder 2-1 exhaust?  Any idea how it will perform with the CR460? 

I like the looks of it better than the Billet Cat so I am leaning towards that one.
I have seen it, but only testing will tell us for sure as to it's effectiveness in that application..

Cagey

Quote from: Durwood on February 25, 2018, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: Cagey on February 25, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
Hey Daren,

I have seen it, but only testing will tell us for sure as to it's effectiveness in that application..

Sounds good. Trying to decide between that Sidewinder and Street Cannons with a Cat-less header. I haven't installed the SCs yet so I was curious. I only care about performance and not sound.

Thanks for all your testing by the way!

Durwood

I got some time to do a little testing in the cam department, and here's what I ended up with.

Test done all in one day, and I thought I was going to be able to add the RS-468 to the list but time ran out on me, I am tuning it today.
[attach=0]

sfmichael

looks good D...thanks for sharing  :up: :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

Here is the Redshift 468, it is now the leader in the sweet spot, I.E the left side of the graph.

This is a rowdy sounding cam...I like it!
[attach=0]

Durwood

Here's the lay over of the two cams.
[attach=0]

Fat11Lo

Nice work Daren, you're going to corrupt me

Durwood

[attach=0]
Click on graphs, then maximize for full size image.

1FSTRK

:up: :up:
Great info, thanks for sharing. It does appear that we are seeing cam development is reaching it's limit with the engine in stock form. These cams clearly raise the area under the entire curve and I would bet if future grinds show significant gains on one side of the graph they will give some up on the other side to do it.

A+ effort to find the combinations that yield the best Stage 1 and stage 2 builds.

Durwood

Thanks Eric. I agree on the cam development as well, the S&S 475 is a good example of what you said, it gives on the left but makes gains on the right as shown in Joe's latest dyno graph.

Some added compression and head work would really make that cam shine IMO.

Wes is going to do a set of heads for me when he gets caught up, and I may try them on the 107 with a new Cycle-Rama cam that will be available soon, before going bigger on the cubes.

R&D is fun, but sure does lighten the wallet..Lol.

No Cents

nice work Daren!   :up:
Thanks for sharing.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

NCTURBOS

Quote from: Durwood on March 02, 2018, 12:38:58 PM
Here is the Redshift 468, it is now the leader in the sweet spot, I.E the left side of the graph.

This is a rowdy sounding cam...I like it!
[attach=0]

Very nice! I think I have my mind made up for this combination on my bike...

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

yobtaf103

Great work Daren, like the look of the RS468 in tests so far.
re- Joes 475 do you think the billet cat 2-1 would bring the left side up & hold on ?