"Squeaky" hydraulic clutch actuator on my 2017 FLHTKL

Started by twincamzz, January 20, 2017, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

January 20, 2017, 01:14:39 PM Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:21:27 PM by twincamzz
I got my 2017 FLHTKL last August & have 6350+ miles on her to date. This afternoon after about an hour ride I shut her down in the garage & then for some reason squeezed the clutch & heard a "squeak" sound coming from the tranny end cover where the hydraulic actuator resides ( or what ever you wanna call it that replaced the balls & ramps w/ cable clutch) . I would hear this squeak every time I squeezed the clutch lever. I could "feel" it through the clutch lever too. Hard to describe. Started bike up & clutch operated normally w/o squeaking, then made the "squeak" sound a few more times & now is back to being smooth as butter, just like always. This is the first hydraulic clutch I have ever had, so not much experience in this area. Temps were in the 60's, so cold would not be a factor.Transmission fluid level is good. Changed fluid at 1000 & 5000 mile service. No DOT 4 leaks at clutch master cylinder or transmission end cover that I can see. Did not experience this in previous hours' ride nor have I ever experienced this since buying bike new last year.

HD changed the design of the hydraulic actuator for 2017, new part #, etc. Just wondering if anyone had heard of or seen this happening on a 2017 Touring Model ?

*Edit to add : Ad-mins, if this belongs in General or somewhere else, please move it as needed.
not all who wander are lost...

twincamzz

I got about an hour ride in this afternoon when I got off work & clutch performed as it should, never heard a sound out of the ordinary... then I'll be danged when I stopped for gas on way home secondary clutch actuator made noise one time with motor off, then went back to being smooth.  My thinking is that the problem has to be the secondary clutch actuator, there's not much else there in transmission side cover to make noise. Minimum clutch movement is measured at .086, so not a great deal of movement there, but something doesn't sound right at all. Doesn't "feel" right at clutch lever when this happens either. HD changed the design of the secondary clutch actuator from the 2016 part #37200023 to #37200131 for 2017 . Maybe there is a problem with the new design...or maybe I just got a bad one, who knows.

5 Year warranty on this one, so I will take it to dealer & have them check it out. Problem just started yesterday & is intermittent at this point. Hopefully they will not have problem "recreating" symptoms.

twincamzz

Okay, so it took me awhile to be able to get my motorcycle out for a ride. Finally was able to capture the noise on video after about an hour's riding. Made this video then headed straight to dealer so the service department could have a listen. Dropped bike off yesterday & we shall see what they find. Got the video on photobucket & am going to try to attach to this post. Motor is good and warmed up in video so the "tinking" sounds are normal, but NOT the kazoo-like sounds that you hear.

http://vid442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/twincamzz/0213171501%201_zpsyywly1m5.mp4

twincamzz

oh yea...forgot to add that after I got this noise on video, I rode another hour to dealer & when I arrived the noise WOULD NOT happen again, no matter how many times I squeezed the clutch ! Figures  :banghead:

...at least I got it on video to prove it is really happening because to date problem has been intermittent to say the least. I'll let y'all know what dealership service department says soon as I get the word.

tomcat64

twincamzz

February 16, 2017, 09:32:59 AM #5 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:05:08 AM by twincamzz
just got done speaking with service tech at dealership. He said they rode my motorcycle & could not replicate noise. Without actually "hearing" the noise themselves, he said they could not justify disassembling transmission end cover & inspecting the secondary hydraulic clutch actuator ( or any other parts that might be related to problem...clutch rod, etc ) because HD will not reimburse them if they do not find a problem. I would think the video would be enough for them to proceed.  :doh:

edited to add : service manager just called back. He said he spoke with HD & forwarded them the video. With that, they are going to order a new actuator & clutch rod & replace them under warranty. Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

14GuineaPig

February 16, 2017, 10:16:41 AM #6 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:47:06 PM by 14GuineaPig
There are a few things you could try:
1. Find another dealer
2. Call HD Customer Service and explain your problem to them.  They should give you a complaint (not sure what they call it) number.
3. Write a letter to the CEO of HD politely explaining your problem and what has been done so far.  If possible, include a copy of your video.  Ask what actions they suggest you take to resolve your problem.  Send the letter via Registered Mail - Receipt Requested.  I had some luck doing this back in 2010, when I was trying to get a compensator replaced on my 2009 Ultra.

Edit: I just noticed that your dealer contacted the MoCo and a new actuator & clutch rod are going to be installed.  Hope that cures the problem.

hardheaded

rbabos

Just viewed the vid. Sounds like a restriction in fluid delivery somewhere near the actuator.
Ron

koko3052

To my ears it sounds like it is running out of fluid near the end of the cycle & pushing air.   :nix:

twincamzz

I finally got my motorcycle back yesterday. I've only put about 150 miles on her since I got her back, however...so far so good !  :up:

FSG

The Inner Trannie Cover is the same for 2017 and earlier

The earlier 37200023 comes with $40 worth of bleeder nipples and a large O-Ring, but the actuator itself is roughly twice the price on the later 37200131 actuator which comes with a $4 bleeder nipple. 

Note: the large O-Ring 11900035 $10 is not used with the new 37200131 actuator.