April 30, 2024, 01:45:20 AM

News:

Oil pressure display

Started by hd06, January 29, 2017, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06

Has anybody figured out a way to display the oil pressure instead of just OK.

FurryOne

Quote from: hd06 on January 29, 2017, 07:00:44 AM
Has anybody figured out a way to display the oil pressure instead of just OK.

This is an old thread, but not answered.  The M8 has an oil pressure "switch" who's only output is open or closed, so unless you add a "T" and a real pressure sensor & gauge, a yes or no is all you'll get.

mikehess43

Boy is that dumb as my 2016 Ultra Limited 103 shows the oil pressure on the TV screen with a push of the right-handlebar info button. This is a step back on the M8. What that info button needs to show on the 6.5 inch screen is all the available data...not just the outside temp, oil pressure and rear cylinder cutout setting....? Hopefully MY 2018 will have a decent GPS and show oil pressure. That all said I remember in 1983 a German BMW car dealer in the old country told me that BMW only showed an oil warning light rather than a gauge because Germans would worry if the pressure wasn't always high. Then too I remember the saying with an EVO at idle...any oil pressure was good enough.

hd06

Yes. that is a step back as far as the temp showing on the display that dosen't help me any its not like I run down the road with my window up. It would be more helpful to have the temp say OK and some real numbers for the oil pressure . There wasn't very much though in this setup, what are they trying to hide. I am hoping a update will come out to take care of that but I not holding my breath. 

14GuineaPig

HD released update 1.20.1 for the 6.5 radio, back in August 2016.  On the list of improvements it stated that oil pressure values would require a Parts & Accessories item.  10 months later, I don't think HD offers that part yet.

Boom! Box 6.5GT
Date Released: 08/23/2016
Version: 1.20.1
Change Log:
Improvements
• Vehicle Information screen will display "OK" or "Check Oil"
for oil pressure on MY17 models. Oil pressure values can
be enabled with a P&A accessory for MY17 vehicles

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on June 19, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
Yes. that is a step back as far as the temp showing on the display that dosen't help me any its not like I run down the road with my window up. It would be more helpful to have the temp say OK and some real numbers for the oil pressure . There wasn't very much though in this setup, what are they trying to hide. I am hoping a update will come out to take care of that but I not holding my breath.
sad deal  to take away something that is of benefit. Maybe  HD will make the parts  available if they hear enough complaints . problem is,
it will be costly after the fact. I would imagine.

rbabos

Quote from: happyman on June 19, 2017, 06:34:52 AM
sad deal  to take away something that is of benefit. Maybe  HD will make the parts  available if they hear enough complaints . problem is,
Basically they save a buck by not adding it standard,  then rake in the big profits with add ons. Classic HD money machine in play.
Ron

FSG

I've not seen one in the flesh but the wiring diags show that it's more than just a on/off switch, what the display shows will depend on the level of code/software installed.

hd06

FSG your a smart cookie I can't make heads or tails out of that.   :dgust:

tomcat64

Quote from: rbabos on June 19, 2017, 08:19:52 AM
Basically they save a buck by not adding it standard,  then rake in the big profits with add ons. Classic HD money machine in play.
Ron

they changed it because so many people were complaining about low oil pressure when the bike was hot,,

rbabos

Quote from: tomcat64 on July 05, 2017, 06:10:22 AM
Ron

they changed it because so many people were complaining about low oil pressure when the bike was hot,,
Were the complaints valid, like freakishly low? We all know 10-15 is well within spec on a hot engine at idle. Add rpms to the 2k mark even hot they should be 32+. Once explained by the dealer most move on and forget about it.
Ron

Hossamania

My oil light is off. Plenty of oil pressure (probably).
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on July 05, 2017, 09:46:16 AM
No oil pressure gauge to view, most riders would be content and ride. Just sold the wife's Shadow today. 7 years I've serviced that thing and no clue what the oil pressure was all that time and as long as the light went out, all good. Of course being a gear head, I have a gauge on my v rod. :hyst:
Ron

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on July 05, 2017, 10:03:20 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 05, 2017, 09:46:16 AM
No oil pressure gauge to view, most riders would be content and ride. Just sold the wife's Shadow today. 7 years I've serviced that thing and no clue what the oil pressure was all that time and as long as the light went out, all good. Of course being a gear head, I have a gauge on my v rod. :hyst:
Ron

I have an oil pressure guage on the Ultra. I think I've looked at it three or four times. Light's off, pressure is fine...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FurryOne

Call H-D up and "suggest" that they add the digital display to your M8 bike's information screen.  I did today and received a 7-digit reference number for my suggestion.  If more people call them up and "suggest" it, H-D might get off their rears and come out with the upgrade.  You can also submit a suggestion through their website.

hd06

Any update on oil pressure display.

HV

They changed it in Canada to just OK ....it was reading in BAR ...Not PSI because when you switched the Speedo to KM from Miles it switched the Pressure readings as well and at 32 PSI it was reading 2 Bar or  lower at Idle ...People were freaking out at the low readings
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

happyman

what we really need is a gauge that will tell owners of these  M8's when they are sumping, and the oil pressure. Also a heat gauge that tells you how smoking hot your motor is.   

happyman

Quote from: rbabos on July 05, 2017, 07:40:41 AM
Quote from: tomcat64 on July 05, 2017, 06:10:22 AM
Ron

Were the complaints valid, like freakishly low? We all know 10-15 is well within spec on a hot engine at idle. Add rpms to the 2k mark even hot they should be 32+. Once explained by the dealer most move on and forget about it.
Ron
that way when you have an issue you won't shut the motor  down and get it repaired before a catastrophic failure, fried motor and yeah they really saved a lot of  $$$.

hd06

I put a fan assist oil cooler on mine, I am putting a manual oil pressure gage on it.

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on September 15, 2017, 01:26:02 PM
I put a fan assist oil cooler on mine, I am putting a manual oil pressure gage on it.
will not stop sumping I bet

hd06

I didn't put it on for that reason.   

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on September 16, 2017, 01:40:47 AM
  I didn't put it on for that reason.
sumping cause mega heat.  if the sumping did not happen the extreme heat build would drop significantly

hd06

Looks like the only way I can put a manual oil pressure line on my M8 is put a T on the oil cooler line next to the oil cooler.

SLAATY

Reason I'd like to see it is because of the bump my oil pressure got after adding the SE pump & cam plate. On the '10 there was a substantial boost in idle pressure - about doubled it if I recall.

OTOH it can always be checked mechanically. It'd just be nice to have the info on tap when desired...