May 04, 2024, 10:56:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

05 valve seal question

Started by bdeuce, November 10, 2008, 12:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdeuce

my indy is telling me that the rocker boxes an heads an the jugs all have to come off ,because the base gaskets might leak when he puts it back together.is he giving me a line of bullsh t.i wouldnt think the jugs have to come off.

autoworker

I believe there is a tool available to remove the valve springs with the head installed.If the head comes off I would replace the two o-rings at the base of each barrel.I'm considering removing my heads for grooves and plan on leaving the pistons in the bore when I remove the barrels.I'll just remove one circlip and push the wrist pin out.I don't want to disturb the the ring seal.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

02 Ultra

If your indy is doing the job better do what he says. If you are doing it you can take the heads off and leave the barrels on. They will move up a schose? when you remove heads which will scare you. If you are careful and hold them down with the head bolts and some spacers while you work on the heads you will be fine. At least I was. You will probably get some slight weeping from residual oil after you put it back together and this will last for a while, at least a few rides.  Mine are dry now and I have had no problems.
:smiled:
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

PoorUB

Quote from: bdeuce on November 10, 2008, 12:54:52 PM
my indy is telling me that the rocker boxes an heads an the jugs all have to come off ,because the base gaskets might leak when he puts it back together.is he giving me a line of bullsh t.i wouldnt think the jugs have to come off.

I have always wondered why even take the heads off?!
Over the years I have replaced a few valve springs and/or seals on various engines, never pulled a head. (Never did a TC88 either!) A air hose/sparkplug adapter, and something to compress the spring is all you need. A couple times I have welded up a tool to compress the springs when nothing else would work. Seems like the shops turn a couple hour job into all day! :pop:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tattoo

November 10, 2008, 04:33:18 PM #4 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:45:48 PM by Tattoo
In my opinion  you should  take off those heads and clean the layers of carbon off the top of the piston and inside the combustion chamber. I have done many of those that were pretty bad inside from running them with the bad seals.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Arrowsmit

IMO the indie is covering extra bases (at your expense) to insure that he won't have to revisit his repair. I swapped heads & relieved the valve cut-outs in the pistons last winter w/out removing the jugs. No probs so far...

VicW.

TXChop

http://www.irvingcustoms.com/nub-tools/

Let your indy know about this tool. It might pay off in the long run.

bdeuce

has any body used the tool described in post #8 .i was looking at the shop manual an it looks like i only have to unload the pushrod besides removing the rocker boxes.if i was to use that tool from nub.i am no wrench.