April 27, 2024, 12:38:04 PM

News:

'89 FXR parts availability

Started by Shooter1, February 06, 2017, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter1

I'm looking at an '89 FXR for sale. It has just over 10K miles on it and it's all stock original, airbox, pipes everything. I suspect most everything for the motor and internals can be sourced thru aftermarket. Is there any parts on this bike that is basically unobtanium unless it was sourced used? The bike has it's correct mid-mounts and stuff so I'm good there. At one time I thought you could get aftermarket speedo/tachs for them if needed. I'm just wondering what I need to prepare for in terms of unavailable replacement parts, (start rat-holing) if I buy this bike.

Thanks,

Flhfxd

Parts are getting harder to find and when you do, it's high dollar. But don't let that stop ya! Its an excellent bike. Congrats
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

turboprop

Quote from: Shooter1 on February 06, 2017, 07:53:31 AM
I'm looking at an '89 FXR for sale. It has just over 10K miles on it and it's all stock original, airbox, pipes everything. I suspect most everything for the motor and internals can be sourced thru aftermarket. Is there any parts on this bike that is basically unobtanium unless it was sourced used? The bike has it's correct mid-mounts and stuff so I'm good there. At one time I thought you could get aftermarket speedo/tachs for them if needed. I'm just wondering what I need to prepare for in terms of unavailable replacement parts, (start rat-holing) if I buy this bike.

Thanks,

Most everything that is FXR specific is unavailable through the conventional aftermarket. Their is a large FXR following and several underground groups that have informally pooled their knowledge and resources. Most everything For specific is available or there are work arounds to leverage newer parts and technology against the FXR frame. The underground is not hard to find. There is a group on another forum that call themselves 'The Cult'. Those guys are NOT the FXR underground. Google will be of little help, but if you truly look you can find them.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Shooter1

Thanks guys. I've been sniffing FXR's for some time now and wound up buying a bike I found locally, a '91 FXRS-Conv, black with two tone red stripes, (original paint). It's a nice bike owned by an older guy and his son all it's life.

I'm in the process of taking some of the "ugly" off of it at the moment, (extra chrome, gold plated stuff, Thunderheader, floor boards, crash bars, low rear shocks, sissy bar, the list goes on), and getting it back to original, I have all the original mid mounts, rear shocks, carb and stuff. Thank god the guy didn't throw any of this stuff away when he "personalized" it.

I have a set of low bars from my old FXRS-Sp I plan to put on it as I'm wanting to create another Sp. I'll need to get a shorter brake line, clutch cable and maybe throttle cables. The bike has a Mik 42 on it which is a good. It also has the original Conv bags and they don't look like they were ever mounted on the bike.

turboprop

Quote from: Shooter1 on February 07, 2017, 06:02:10 AM
Thanks guys. I've been sniffing FXR's for some time now and wound up buying a bike I found locally, a '91 FXRS-Conv, black with two tone red stripes, (original paint). It's a nice bike owned by an older guy and his son all it's life.

I'm in the process of taking some of the "ugly" off of it at the moment, (extra chrome, gold plated stuff, Thunderheader, floor boards, crash bars, low rear shocks, sissy bar, the list goes on), and getting it back to original, I have all the original mid mounts, rear shocks, carb and stuff. Thank god the guy didn't throw any of this stuff away when he "personalized" it.

I have a set of low bars from my old FXRS-Sp I plan to put on it as I'm wanting to create another Sp. I'll need to get a shorter brake line, clutch cable and maybe throttle cables. The bike has a Mik 42 on it which is a good. It also has the original Conv bags and they don't look like they were ever mounted on the bike.

I have set of OEM FXR head pipes and brackets, and possibly the heat shields. What condition is your Thunderheader in?

Burnout

Need a picture of the Thunder Header, there are a couple that fit.

Cracks?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Shooter1

The T-header appears to be in excellent condition, very nice chrome, I just removed it from the bike yesterday. Where do they crack at?, I could take a look. I do intend to sell the T-header as well as the driver and passenger floor boards and crash bar that has some highway pegs mounted on it. I also have two seats and a sissy bar with H-D backrest on it with a luggage rack on it. Both of the seats were recovered by Mustang and the owner had them add red piping to match the red striping on the bike. Kind of unique but not my style. One seat set looks brand new and never used. I also have two windshields for it, I may sell one of them.

tdrglide

I would keep the driver floor boards set up away in a box. Also the windshield. You might get old someday  (hopefully ) and want them back. Stock exhaust with some cycle shack slip ons works well. Although cycle shack stuff is getting a little hard to find.

Reddog74usa

You can still get FXR parts at a reasonable price if you look. Check craigs list, ebay and check with forum members for what you might need. Don't be dismayed at some of the prices on ebay from certain sellrs as they are unrealistic and most do not buy from them as they are responsible for the exuberant prices as they bought up hoards of parts to artificially drive up the prices. Congrats on getting an FXR :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Shooter1

Don't be dismayed at some of the prices on ebay from certain sellrs as they are unrealistic and most do not buy from them as they are responsible for the exuberant prices as they bought up hoards of parts to artificially drive up the prices.     <-- yeah, I know who your talking about. 

Thanks,

RedFXR2

February 09, 2017, 12:42:25 PM #10 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:53:18 PM by RedFXR2
Quote from: turboprop on February 06, 2017, 11:45:42 AM
There is a group on another forum that call themselves 'The Cult'. Those guys are NOT the FXR underground.

Hi Turbo. 

Shooter:  I'm on this forum.  I'm also on the "other" forum.  Some guys have fun with the cult name thing, but I know some personally and they are a wealth of knowledge and we have helped each other out with hard to find FXR parts, sometimes free of charge.  I recently helped a FXR guy in Canada get parts from a European source here that doesn't ship to the US.  I have a bin of FXR take offs back in my US garage but it'll be a while before I'm back there.

So don't be deterred from casting a wide net when searching for FXR parts.  There are more helpful people out there than you might be led to believe.  Never know until you ask.  Might not be necessary to go "underground".

Shooter1

Thanks Red. I rat-holed a few spare parts I knew were scarce when I sold my '89 FXR. The '91 I just bought came pretty complete meaning it has it's has it's mid mounts, stock exhaust w/SE slip ons (w/removable baffles), stock bars, etc. Whenever I need H-D info I always start with HTT as you can get good "hard data" here and not just a bunch of opinions based on what someone "heard". 

I had a like new Super-Trapp 2 into 2  I kept from years ago that I just hung on the bike yesterday. Running with the open end caps this thing sounds like an XR750 when you fire-wall it. Runs very good as is but I may still dis-assemble the Mik 42 as I'd like to know how it's jetted.

Burnout

THeaders crack from the mount at the cam cover back to the rear mount. Which rear mount did it have? Does the rear head pipe loop forward around the cone?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Shooter1

The rear mount was just a straight rectangular metal bar maybe an inch wide that connected the muffler to the frame, (via a metal strap that went around the frame) right behind the master cylinder. I'll try an take a pic of it and post it here.

tmwmoose

I had a like new Super-Trapp 2 into 2  I kept from years ago that I just hung on the bike yesterday. Running with the open end caps this thing sounds like an XR750 when you fire-wall it. Runs very good as is but I may still dis-assemble the Mik 42 as I'd like to know how it's jetted.
[/quote]

I installed mine yesterday and my disc's had not come in the mail yet BUT dang Im impressed all to hell. I was skeptical they would not be enough for my 107 but they pull and rev awesome . Now I probably wasted my $$ on the disc which I payed more for than the hole ST system. Might find some time today to run over to the dyno and see whats really happening

Naear

Nice find Shooter1 did you also get the conv bags with the bike?
91 has the better starter and clutch /mainshaft https://www.directcycleparts.com/index.php gets me most of what Ive needed https://www.denniskirk.com/ also.
Enjoy your new ride

CW#

Well I have lurked in the background on FXR's long enough to reveal my novice understanding and make a fool of myself...

What is the last year FXR that was a shovel with laced wheels and the connector between the header pipes?

Is it impossible to get parts for those models (for example, I don't like mag wheels on traditional bikes).

Other than the pipe support welds cracking are there major problems with this era of FXR's?

Would you instead buy an EVO FXR?

Is there a good place(s) to watch for FXR's for sale instead of getting the lousy focus search results on eBay?

Thanks.

C#
Whut Me Wurry?

Hossamania

I think '84 was technically the last year for Shovel FXR's, though there may be an odd '85 running around. Shovels are sexy and cool, but for a motor with a little less maintenance and two exhaust studs instead of one, the Evo is the one. Shovels are more rare, carrying the cool factor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: CW# on February 11, 2017, 09:51:10 AM
Well I have lurked in the background on FXR's long enough to reveal my novice understanding and make a fool of myself...

What is the last year FXR that was a shovel with laced wheels and the connector between the header pipes?

Is it impossible to get parts for those models (for example, I don't like mag wheels on traditional bikes).

Other than the pipe support welds cracking are there major problems with this era of FXR's?

Would you instead buy an EVO FXR?

Is there a good place(s) to watch for FXR's for sale instead of getting the lousy focus search results on eBay?

Thanks.

C#

Time is one of the biggest disadvantages of buying an FXR. The newest FXR ('00 CVO FXR4) is seventeen years old. Aside from the limited production FXR 2 &3, the last FXR was made in '94, or 23 years ago. The shovels models are over thirty years old.  Thats a lot of time for hacks, to really muck up some stuff. It is a rare FXR that doesn't have an electrical system that is shotty, pulled threads in every casting and a whole bunch of mismatched hardware. Fortunately, a large majority of the FXR can also be found on other models. The list of FXR specific pieces is pretty short.

As for wheels, spoke, cast, whatever. Don't think in terms of FXR or Model X, think instead of terms like narrow glide timken bearing, rear timken, etc. Plenty of wheel choices out there. Many sellers simply dent know that their front wheel from their sportster will fit like twenty different models. 

Exhaust pipes for FXRs were limited a few years ago. Not any more. There are many small and medium sized companies that are now making pipes for the FXR. Most of them are 2-1 and for evo models. Exhaust pipes for shovel FXRs are not very common. Would be surprised if there is anyone producing them. RB Racing will make them on demand, Thunder header does one production run of shovel stuff each year. Its slim pickings for shovel FXR pipes.

FWIW, I have owned maybe twenty five FXRs, all models, engines, etc. Like most things harley the newer the better. Early FXRs had a shitty clutch and starter system, the 35mm forks, the early brakes were horrible and the list can go on. I encourage everyone interested in buying and FXR to look for as new a bike as possible and be prepared to work on it.

Shooter1

Quote from: Naear on February 11, 2017, 06:16:12 AM
Nice find Shooter1 did you also get the conv bags with the bike?
91 has the better starter and clutch /mainshaft https://www.directcycleparts.com/index.php gets me most of what Ive needed https://www.denniskirk.com/ also.
Enjoy your new ride

I did get the bags with the bike and they look new as if the original owner never used them. There is a sissy bar/rack on it and he also gave me a couple of large travel bags that mount to the bar and rack so it's possible he used them to carry stuff and not the bags. I'm waiting on some new riser bushings and have the handle bars off right now. I've also got some chrome parts coming from e-bay to replace the gold parts. Also have a stock -Sp seat coming. I'll try and post a pic of the bike next week after I get all that stuff on.

Shooter1

Quote from: tmwmoose on February 11, 2017, 05:48:49 AM

I installed mine yesterday and my disc's had not come in the mail yet BUT dang Im impressed all to hell. I was skeptical they would not be enough for my 107 but they pull and rev awesome . Now I probably wasted my $$ on the disc which I payed more for than the hole ST system. Might find some time today to run over to the dyno and see whats really happening

Moose, how many discs are you running? Are you current usign the open end cap? I'd be interested in your dyno numbers and state of engine tune. Thanks.
[/quote]

tmwmoose

Will be messing with this on the dyno next couple days I bought 18 disc plus 2 closed end caps jeez I almost had to take out a lone lol I had another 18 already .I ran without any disc's and man it was auwsome then I put 18 a muff in and seemed good little soft down low so I tried 13 and it seemed a little more torquey I reaaly need to get it on the dyno my butt dyno is very misleading . I want to get the open end plate as well there 17.90 each ouch. I lost my Drag Account I closed my shop but they found out a couple monthes later  :emsad: there the only distributor that carried this stuff it sucks having to be a regular citizen and pay retail :cry: do you have the long dual system or the short oem looking set up[attachurl=1]Rush and Road Runner EX 006 by

tmwmoose

Well 5 pulls into messing with the disc's the motor dropped a cylinder, Ripped into it to find the front intake rocker arm had broke off its pushrod finger, motor s under warranty so hopefully someone will be at Midwest to take my call today. Surprisingly that didn't bother me as much as the crappy $80 worth of defective Supertrapp disc's did. I always wondered why guys would run so many disc's on their builds sometimes, now I know one of the possible reasons are the disc's them selves . On the id of the disc is a very slight to none at all lip, well the ones I bought had a very substantial lip that when stacked it was plain to see no exhaust gases were gong to escape thru them at all .What led me to find this was most of the new disc's had turned gold while a few were steel gray .Some of the disc I was using were older ones and had the grey color as well those disc's got hot from exhaust flow and the defective ones I figure didn't get as hot since nothing went thru them. These disc's are the 3" style I went and looked at my 4" disc's and found those ok But from now on Inspect the disc'c especially new ones!!

92flhtcu

hang on to those floorboards, they are spendy!
Need a bigger garage