May 01, 2024, 12:38:59 AM

News:

solenoid terminals

Started by brubinfxr, April 22, 2009, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brubinfxr

thought my starting issue was more battery related, put in the new one last night and realize that it is more starter / solenoid related.  Posted this a while back, but when I thumb the button, somethimes it just clicks from the solenoid area and sometimes it tries to turn over in a very labored way.  if is just clicks and I have the bike in gear and move forward and back a bit, it will 'engage' and try to turn over.  Somethimes is just turns over and fires up.  I am going to pull the primary cover and make sure things are lined up - but beyond that I am at a loss.

last night after some very labored turn overs and no starting, I saw a puff of smoke - i think it came from the solenoid.  I pulled off the rubber cover that is over the terminals and started making sure all was tight.  The terminals were burning hot - is that normal?    I did finally get it fired up and once running, runs like a champ. 

any comments or suggestions is more than welcome
thanks all

brubin
82FXR

pappyfreebird

sounds ta me like yer eithar bindin up er starters tired...no should nawt be hot really anywhere period...but a draggin er bound up start would cause heat n shmoke that starter soon too,,,ifn ain awready...the rockin sez bound,,yet could be bald spot on armeture too...next time she clicks run a jumper fum hot to starter n see ifn spins (ony starter will)  do she turn free er groan??? id make sure starter spins good on its own,,then check fer bindin in jackshaft bushins lie up on ring gear etc...been in there lately??? mebbe dint git primary lined up good? jus sum idears..paps

vern

i coudn't understand pappy. but if you take your solinoid apart you will see a burnt copper washer, flip it over and clean up the two posts that might help

brubinfxr

thanks to both - I have been on this site (and previous HTT) long enough to understand ya pappy - I am leaning toward binding too. 
Solenoid is new as of spring 08, but will check there too.

any other thoughts out there?

thanks
brubin
82FXR