May 09, 2024, 08:20:53 AM

News:

2015 1200c Fuel Issue?

Started by Jaystn62, February 14, 2017, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaystn62

Picked up a 2015 1200c for my wife last April. Bike has 902 miles and is bone stock. A few weeks ago I decided to drill the baffles and cats for a little more sound. Immediately after getting back together I started it and it sounded horrible. I noticed the front pipe was getting red hot and the rear was normal. Also idle rpm would not go below 1300. I tried another set of stock tapered mufflers that had been modified with Thunder Torque inserts with same result. Bike sounds more like a pop than exhaust note. Especially on front muffler. I'm getting no trouble codes. I can't find anything unplugged. Both cylinders are showing 190-195 compression. I don't think the mufflers are the problem. I think they just made me aware there is a problem. Any help would be appreciated before I resort to going to the dealer. I would post pictures but won't let me for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Hossamania

When you drilled out the cat, did you damage the O2 sensors? Or get them full of swage?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jaystn62

I did the drilling off the bike and then reinstalled. I may be wrong but if I damaged an O2 sensor wouldn't it throw a code after a few seconds of running? The head pipes never left the bike.

oranjvoodoo

The ECU needs to be tuned now that the exhaust flows more freely. The popping is from changing the exhaust and the glowing red head pipe is a combination of the modified exhaust and a lean mixture from the factory.  The EFI adjusts for small changes like altitude and air temp, modified exhaust is more than the ECU can compensate.

If the bike is ridden the way it is now for 100, or even up to a couple thousand miles there will eventually be a code thrown.

Get some cheap slip-ons and a tune if you want the noise or get some unmolested stock mufflers to put back on the bike and be okay with quiet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jaystn62

This doesn't explain why the rear does not get hot and the sound from the front and the rear are totally different. And the mufflers on it now have the Thunder Torque inserts which should have more than enough back pressure for the ecm to compensate with the stock air cleaner. I'm going to get a set of stock mufflers to put back on as soon as I find a set at a decent price. If problem still exist it's going to the dealer. And the bike hasn't been rode or run more than a couple minutes since I Put the mufflers on and discovered this. Thanks for the input.

Jaystn62

Just an update. Finally got around to installing a set of stock mufflers today with no modifications what so ever. Made no difference. Front head pipe still gets red hot after a couple minutes of running and rpm never gets below 1300. Going to call local dealership and see when I can drop it off. It's still under warranty so I'll let them fix it.

Jaystn62

Update- Picked bike up from dealer today. Was told problem was defective temperature sensor. Had injector dumping fuel in to front cylinder because it never read engine was heating up. Was told to put some miles on it and if had any problems bring it back. It does idle down to 950 to 1000 rpm now and sounds better. Seems to vibrate a lot at 60+ mph but maybe I'm so used to my Road King it seems excessive. I'll put a few miles on it and see what I think then.