May 04, 2024, 11:08:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anyone changing out the head pipes without cat?

Started by Amkimber, February 15, 2017, 05:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amkimber

I have a 17 RG with Rinehart slip on's and SE Breather tuned with the street tuner.  I have done the 'custom tune' thing and feel like I have a much better than stock running bike, I am happy with the ride.  I do have some breather noise at 1/3 to 2/3 throttle that isn't too anoying but I have considered changing the head pipes to hopefully get a little deeper/louder exhaust note to ?maybe? distract my ears from the intake noise. With 4k miles on the bike, fellow riders said it is not loud at all but has a good sound to it from behind, so I'm not annoying anyone behind me. The warranty deal is a concern but my dealer is very good about aftermarket stuff and warranty claims. The fuelmoto ones would look stock so maybe I would be the only one to know, but 500 bucks for pipes and using the stock heat shields, dang. 

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

NCTURBOS

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 15, 2017, 06:05:42 AM
Could just decat your stock headpipe

I'm seeing quite a few doing just that... An easy "free upgrade"!

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

kd

KD

NCTURBOS

-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

spook

Help me understand...so if the head pipe is cat free what needs to be changed to eliminate the restrictions? It is my understanding the HD Street Cannons are a straight through pipe without baffles. If that is the case then what does one have to purchase to make a free flow exhaust system?  Thank you in advance for any clarification.

Ancient

Cat is right at the aft end of the header, just forward of the rh muffler.
Greg

Amkimber

spook

joe_lyons

BUBBIE

Joe,

Did you CUT out that whole area where the cat was and re-weld in a Pipe for continuation of the area removed?
That would be a lot easier in my Book AND a good repair...

THINKING here....   :idea:  You Could go Back cutting out the pipe length and putting the whole converter section Back In and RE-Weld  IF wanted n you saved it...

Say it is SO Joe... :pop:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

ready2ride

i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

PoorUB

Most guys just cut and but it out and weld it back together. Some cut the pipe in two, some cut an opening on one side. One the earlier pipes some guys would take a big drill or hole saw and run it up the pipe and chew out what they can. Not a recommended method as you can not get all the cat removed.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mikehess43

Here's the simple; not the cheap way: buy the new Road King SE exhaust system PN 64800062 for $1,400 and you have the header free of the catalytic converter and two cannon exhausts with the converters--to sell to a unsuspecting person. Or I think if you find a silly person with a 2017 CVO that took off the stock header, buy it off of them...here is the H-D link to the new exhaust, note that the 2014-16 CVOs also had the converters in the slip-ons thus a header converter free: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/high-flow-exhaust-system-with-street-cannon-mufflers-pa-18-64800062--1 Mike

BUBBIE

February 16, 2017, 08:33:25 PM #14 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:36:44 PM by BUBBIE
Quote from: ready2ride on February 16, 2017, 02:43:36 PM
Saw away

That is the way it is done for Quality and Looks... A Very Professional Welding Job Too... + a good wire machine and a accomplished welder running it to Boot...

Very Professional ready2ride... :SM:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

joe_lyons

With the 10-16 headpipes we cut the whole cat section out and just press out the cat material and reweld back in.  Much much cleaner process.

joe_lyons

PoorUB

Quote from: PoorUB on February 16, 2017, 04:51:46 PM
Most guys just cut and but gut it out and weld it back together. Some cut the pipe in two, some cut an opening on one side. One the earlier pipes some guys would take a big drill or hole saw and run it up the pipe and chew out what they can. Not a recommended method as you can not get all the cat removed.

PoorUB

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 17, 2017, 05:27:24 AM
Quote from: ready2ride on February 16, 2017, 02:43:36 PM
Saw away
Any issues with the mild steel and stainless when welding?

When in a jam I have MIG'd stainless with normal steel filler wire, or welded stainless to carbon steel using steel or stainless wire. I don't know about the strength of the weld, but the part held for our application. I would not think there would be an issue with a HD exhaust.

ready2ride

No issues at all , I tig stainless to mild steel daily at work here, this is stainless to stainless btw...
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

joe_lyons

Quote from: ready2ride on February 17, 2017, 06:33:22 AM
No issues at all , I tig stainless to mild steel daily at work here, this is stainless to stainless btw...
Cool