April 26, 2024, 11:01:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bike31

We needs pics of Rev A and B for that part. It'd also be good to see the assembled position layup of the clutch and release rods and trans shaft end where allegedly the oil is being transferred.

FSG

Quote from: harleytuner on July 01, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
If I had an M8 is be letting HD figure out out.  Last thing I would want to do is modify something and Give them a reason to void the warranty.

Well maybe just put an extra gasket or two on it ould suffice, but if I had one it'd be for riding not sitting in the garage waiting for HD to figure out a fix.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Bike31 on July 01, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
We needs pics of Rev A and B for that part. It'd also be good to see the assembled position layup of the clutch and release rods and trans shaft end where allegedly the oil is being transferred.

Nothing alleged about it, it is definately being tranfered and definately through the trans shaft the only question is why.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harleytuner

Quote from: FSG on July 01, 2017, 05:16:14 PM
If I had an M8 is be letting HD figure out out.  Last thing I would want to do is modify something and Give them a reason to void the warranty.

Well maybe just put an extra gasket or two on it ould suffice, but if I had one it'd be for riding not sitting in the garage waiting for HD to figure out a fix.

I guess that's why i don't buy the first year of major changes.  A gasket experiment is one thing. If possibly take an extra derby cover and drill a vent hole and run a tube in it as it wouldn't be permanent.  But I wouldn't do anything that would give HD an excuse.

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytuner on July 01, 2017, 05:29:42 PM
Quote from: FSG on July 01, 2017, 05:16:14 PM

I guess that's why i don't buy the first year of major changes.  A gasket experiment is one thing. If possibly take an extra derby cover and drill a vent hole and run a tube in it as it wouldn't be permanent.  But I wouldn't do anything that would give HD an excuse.

The last thing I would put any faith in is the factory warranty but if you are experimenting at this level and the factory beats you to a fix you can always replace the altered pieces with oem unaltered parts and your warranty will be fine.

Bike31

I'm aware of all the chatter re the clutch transfer above 4k rpm. Maybe someone with access to the parts can actually disassemble the TC and M8 trans clutch end and have a look at what's changed besides component numbers.

The assist/slip clutch units are not a new item and were used on some 2016's with the "A" side cover (mainly 110's). They are an option for 2014's and later with hydraulic clutches.

hd06

Just a though if a right hand thread was cut on the shaft if that would push the oil back in the trans.    :nix:

rbabos

Quote from: hd06 on July 02, 2017, 03:46:27 AM
Just a though if a right hand thread was cut on the shaft if that would push the oil back in the trans.    :nix:
Careful now, then the posts will change to primary transferring to trans.  :hyst:
Ron

sneakypete

I had the opportunity to talk to one of the guys at my local HD shop yesterday and I asked him if he had heard anything about this situation he said he hadn't yet. I told him he probably would at some point.  On the other hand if he did know about it he wasn't saying...

rbabos

Quote from: sneakypete on July 02, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
I had the opportunity to talk to one of the guys at my local HD shop yesterday and I asked him if he had heard anything about this situation he said he hadn't yet. I told him he probably would at some point.  On the other hand if he did know about it he wasn't saying...
To this day they probably wouldn't admit to compensator issues from 07-2013. They are sworn to secrecy.
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on July 02, 2017, 09:16:19 AM
To this day they probably wouldn't admit to compensator issues from 07-2013. They are sworn to secrecy.
Ron

What compensator issues?

:wink:

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 02, 2017, 09:47:36 AM
Ron

What compensator issues?

:wink:
Exactly.
Ron

sneakypete

Truth be told I had a suspicious feeling when I observed the "LOOK" on his face after asking my question...

PoorUB

Ron

I have had that thought too. Ask a salesman about any well know issue and you will get, "I have never heard of that!"
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rockout Rocker Products

I get the same from the local dealer when asked about any problems. Truth is, I'd expect the same at a Ford or Toyota dealer.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FSG

you might get the truth from someone out the back at the coal face but never from the sales floor or front office

Durwood

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 02, 2017, 08:16:16 PM
I get the same from the local dealer when asked about any problems. Truth is, I'd expect the same at a Ford or Toyota dealer.
That's the truth! Ford with their junk 06-10, 5.4 truck engines and the 97 up Camry 2.2 4 cylinder.

HV

:SM:  If yall knew about all the issues we know of out back......well..... :wink:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

FSG

As mentioned earlier the M8 uses the 35260-06B  BEARING HOUSING,

it also uses a new (for 2017) bearing 11000010 , item #23 in the top half of the below pic, while the 8970A bearing has been around since the 2012 models.

The top half of the below pic is the HD SIP Site and is correct.

The bottom half of the below pic is from an online HD Provider that is using the ARI PartStream System and is incorrect as it has items #10 and #23 transposed.

FSG

Bike31

July 04, 2017, 10:17:46 AM #245 Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:44:40 AM by Bike31
Thanks FSG for the parts and pics. Good catch on the bearing transposition in the ARI fiche....which is what I've mostly been using.

One thing that has been discussed by SC on the HD Forum is how does oll get into the area next to the clutch pushrod and trans input shaft in sufficient quantity to get transferred at high rpms. It was suggested maybe the adjacent bearing (11000010) was acting as a pump of sorts.

It appears from the pics to be shielded more than in the -06A Housing or the 8907A bearing to the right. One suggestion from SC was to install a shielded bearing to replace 11000010. So now I wonder if the bearing SC wanted to shield in your pics was replaced as a running change, or is it the same as initial production for all 2017 M8 models? It could still be the source of the excess oil however.

Edit: It may also be that the two bearings were reversed at times during production? (speculation).

Admiral Akbar

QuoteIt was suggested maybe the adjacent bearing (11000010) was acting as a pump of sorts.

May have not been clear.. This is not correct. It was suggested that first gear with backlash gear was somehow creating a pump that was pushing oil through the mainshaft bearing. Not the layshaft.

Bike31

There have been a few suggestions Max as to the source of excess oil. SC in Post #422 (and others) suggests the input shaft bearing (whatever P/N is there) acts as an oil pump. You later mentioned the new for 2017 scissor 1st gear as a potential source and SC agreed it may be possible in Post #445.

Guess it depends on who's posting and where it's located in the Thread as to what's the possible source?

All in all it's an interesting discussion. Still someone should take their M8 apart, have a look, and take some pics of what's actually there for bearings and what type they are.

FSG

Bike31

Thanks FSG for a pic of the 8970A bearing. Any pics of the new for 2017 11000010 bearing available?