April 27, 2024, 01:39:53 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 02, 2017, 08:17:15 PM
Why not run Bel-Ray Gear Saver in both? It's designed for the transmission and the clutch. Run the 85W.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-gear-saver-transmission-oil

They either come with syn 3 , or formula + , trans and  pri.

Ohio HD

Quote from: hogpipes1 on September 03, 2017, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 02, 2017, 08:17:15 PM
Why not run Bel-Ray Gear Saver in both? It's designed for the transmission and the clutch. Run the 85W.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-gear-saver-transmission-oil

They either come with syn 3 , or formula + , trans and  pri.

I meant may as well run the same fluid if it's going to be recycled from one box to the other as it runs.

PoorUB

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 04, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I meant may as well run the same fluid if it's going to be recycled from one box to the other as it runs.

Pull the drain plugs for the primary and tranny, plumb them together with a small pump, and just circulate the oil! :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hd06

I wouldn't want metal from the chain and sprocket and clutch fibers in my transmission.

Bike31

There's several million motorcycles with a common sump for engine, clutch, and transmission. Some even have an oil filter.  But yes, if they can be kept separate why not?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Bike31 on September 04, 2017, 06:00:15 PM
There's several million motorcycles with a common sump for engine, clutch, and transmission. Some even have an oil filter.  But yes, if they can be kept separate why not?

I agree. It's the best case scenario. 

hd06

Hossamania

Quote from: hd06 on September 05, 2017, 02:31:20 AM
Do they have a chain and sprocket.

The primary drive is chain and sprockets, with some clutch material thrown in.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hd06

Sorry I should clarified I was thinking of other bikes then Harley.

04 SE Deuce

Harley is making a real statement by not rectifying this problem.  Whatta way to showcase your talent!!!

Nastytls

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on September 07, 2017, 11:37:20 AM
Harley is making a real statement by not rectifying this problem.  Whatta way to showcase your talent!!!

I'd bet they don't have the slightest clue as to fixing it. They've relied on the aftermarket to fix their screw-ups in the past, why not do it again.

boooby1744

They're probably checking this thread daily...

Grayrider

I hope they are reading because I was in the market for an M8 but just cannot pull the trigger!
Every time I look at one I wonder if and how long it will be back at the dealer.
I know many are happy but just as many are unhappy due to problems.
And I keep looking for the fix without hearing it is there and reading about problems on the 18's now as well.   
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

rbabos

Doesn't seem to matter Rick. People keep buying regardless, just to live the dream.
Ron

hogpipes1

Quote from: rbabos on September 08, 2017, 07:05:12 AM
Doesn't seem to matter Rick. People keep buying regardless, just to live the dream.
Ron

Most new buyers don't have a clue about any of the issues that gets a post on this site. If they have the $$ it's down the rd they go with all the chrome and go. Heard the 19 models will have a  lab top built into the gas door on the  cvo's . Now that's a seller for sure. Don't worry about running a dry tranny.

IronButt70

Quote from: Grayrider on September 07, 2017, 06:13:28 PM
I hope they are reading because I was in the market for an M8 but just cannot pull the trigger!
Every time I look at one I wonder if and how long it will be back at the dealer.
And I keep looking for the fix without hearing it is there and reading about problems on the 18's now as well.
Same here. In lieu of some announced fix I will be taking a serious look at the new Yamaha Transcontinental and hanging on to my softail.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hdbikedoc

My thoughts are leaning towards the slipper clutch ,releasing causes suction pulling oil down the pushrod  :fish:
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

harleytuner

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 08, 2017, 09:24:36 AM
Same here. In lieu of some announced fix I will be taking a serious look at the new Yamaha Transcontinental and hanging on to my softail.

The Transcontinental looks like a nice bike. Well thought out

PoorUB

Quote from: hdbikedoc on September 08, 2017, 07:06:39 PM
My thoughts are leaning towards the slipper clutch ,releasing causes suction pulling oil down the pushrod  :fish:

I was thinking something on the clutch too, but only the clutch spinning at high RPM causing a low air pressure in the center of the clutch causing it to pull lube through the shaft/push rod. It would explain why this problem is worst the harder you run the engine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: harleytuner on September 09, 2017, 04:28:51 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 08, 2017, 09:24:36 AM

The Transcontinental looks like a nice bike. Well thought out

Well, it may be a "nice" bike, but it's so damned ugly.  I just can't get used to some of the modern lines of both the Jap bikes and their cars.
My Ride: Road King

Sunny Jim

Trans Pressure seems to be the issue, along with a poor crankshaft seal and a vacuum issue. I am going to carry out the gasket mod Darren demonstrated. I am also going to externalise my breathers to prevent all that variable vacuum in the intake. Every little bit helps.

Grayrider

I will keep riding my EVO for now.
A little noisy but it starts and runs fine!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

dogger

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

klammer76

September 11, 2017, 06:02:47 AM #499 Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:07:17 AM by klammer76
As I get ready to enter retirement in the spring I would like to move up to a M8 from my 2002 FLHTC ( still going to keep it, they won't give me anything for it anyway) but jast can't do it with these issues out there. I really am not a fan of the hydraulic clutches. Have ridden a few and don't like the feel. Guessing maybe around 2020 would be a good time, should have most of the bugs worked out by then hopefully. TC had problems also for a few years.

I am very impressed with Durwoods results with the Cyclerama cam and exhaust👍

Not impressed with the mother ship though, disappointing. Was at a dealer last week killing some time. Hot stuff kid salesman chats me up. I ask him some questions, oil consumption was one. He tells me these motors are designed to use oil...😳. I told him he was nuts then really started with pointed questions. He quickly handed me off to the sales manager who was listening and disappeared. I asked the SM what was up with the "designed to use some oil" statement. He let out a long sigh and said " yeah, I heard him say that". We had a decent discussion from there. He admitted he his 2017 114 had sumping and other issues. Got a rebuild courtesy of HD. Hasn't tried it out yet. He has not heard of any transmission oil into the primary problems though, that was on the 2016's and earlier..😳. I left at that point.

Uh oh, probably should have put this in the buy M8 or wait thread...not enough coffee yet. Feel
free to move it.