April 27, 2024, 04:02:07 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: klammer76 on September 11, 2017, 06:02:47 AM. . . I really am not a fan of the hydraulic clutches. Have ridden a few and don't like the feel. . .

I don't like 'em either.  The 2018 Heritage still has a cable clutch; rode one at the dealer demo Saturday.
My Ride: Road King

Grayrider

I thought I might like the Heritage but the rattle can black paint job look on everything has turned me off. At least the Fatboy has some polished and chrome effects and sweet wheels.
Very disappointed in the Heritage models I have seen and over here dealers only allowed one of each for now. Checked Heritage at a few dealers on line and didn't see anything that made me look twice. Plus with the motor issues I am not ready to open my wallet yet!
Have waited for the 18's to be impressed but still waiting.
Rats! Foiled again!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Moparnut72

I wasn't too keen on the Fat Boy when I first saw pictures but after seeing it in person it is really growing on me. I generally favor spoke wheels but the wheels on the Fat Boy are really nice. I wonder if that satin looking chrome would keep it's look or would go flat or easily stain.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hossamania

I didn't know the Fatboy had satin nacelle and exhaust, along with some of the other pieces until I saw one in person. Not really sure if I'm a fan.
I certainly don't like the brown primer on the Heritage. It used to be the premium model of the Softail line, now they are trying to rat it out. Confusing.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tollbooth

I am in the state of confusion. Called 2 dealers. Asked the service department about this problem,(M8 trans fluid leaking in primary). BOTH said they have not heard or had any bikes with this situation.
Was going to buy a new Limited but not this year.
No wonder sales are so low. I'm not the only non-buyer.

hd06myway

this situation because it's a forum and there's like a doz people discussing the problem, doesn't make it widespread.... like the tensioner shoes.... never ran into anyone who had a problem with them before the hydraulic upgrade... reading the forums you'd think everyone had or would have had the problem already... not saying the current issue isn't real, but it may be very very isolated less then 1% of the bikes built have it.... just saying....

FSG

Quote from: hd06myway on September 13, 2017, 08:32:42 AM
this situation because it's a forum and there's like a doz people discussing the problem, doesn't make it widespread.... like the tensioner shoes.... never ran into anyone who had a problem with them before the hydraulic upgrade... reading the forums you'd think everyone had or would have had the problem already... not saying the current issue isn't real, but it may be very very isolated less then 1% of the bikes built have it.... just saying....

quite true,

now for a dealer to say they had not had any bikes with this situation is plausible,

but for a dealer to say they've not heard of this situation, well that beggars disbelief.

04 SE Deuce

It's a real issue and it's more than any bullshit 1% comment...get real. 

When the dealer's staff starts checking fluid levels instead of just changing fluids they will figure it out...maybe.

Not-too-late

Have over 5K miles on a 2017 Ultra Limited. Just wrapped up a 3k plus ride and I pushed it hard in mountains, traffic and 85mph plus for hours and hours, holding at 95 for stretches and reaching 100.
Still no migrating. Running perfectly.

Grayrider

You must be one of the 99%
I have been to 3 dealers, 2 in Canada and one in Detroit.
Not one has heard of any oil migrating or had any M8 issues!
As if.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

04 SE Deuce

I love how the internet perpetuates myths...must be the reason truth gets ignored at times.

If you look back in this thread HV hadn't noticed/heard any issues at the dealership he's at...then they started checking fluids and found 3 inside a few days and added another after that.

Ignorance doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

Once again I personally talked to the OP of this thread...he's been an Indy for years and the bike in question is his personal bike.

HV

Some other observations ....... Its plain to see if your not looking for it.....your not going to see it.....its not something that slaps you in the face as a BIG Failure or Stand out issue........It also looks like its not always happening on the same bikes.. all the time .....more a result of Riding Types....if the Bike is used with High RPM Engine breaking it MAY make it do it....May not .....also HD seems to be confused as to whats the Cure ...we have been waiting for over a Month for parts to fix one bike ( Customer has a loner ) Bikes ridden on long flat roads ( Cali to Vegas types ) may never see it.....Mountain areas...Yes if rode in one particular manner .... Dealers that have Staff who do not watch Forums ( 75% of them ) may never see it or notice it EVER .....and so far no Damages have been noted aside from low oil levels and high Levels ......how long this will take to really Damage a part is hard to say  :nix:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

PoorUB

Quote from: Grayrider on September 13, 2017, 01:04:17 PM
As if.

Not heard of it? or not admitting it!

My bet is most dealers will not disclose a problem that has occurred in a relatively low number of motorcycles to a possible buyer. Admit nothing, and sell a bike. Confess that there may be a problem and a possible buyer might walk away.

In 2006 I asked a salesman about the tensioner issues on the early Twin Cam, he said he had never heard of an issue. At the same time a friend had his bike in the same dealer getting tensioners replaced under warranty.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hogpipes1

Quote from: Not-too-late on September 13, 2017, 12:31:43 PM
Have over 5K miles on a 2017 Ultra Limited. Just wrapped up a 3k plus ride and I pushed it hard in mountains, traffic and 85mph plus for hours and hours, holding at 95 for stretches and reaching 100.
Still no migrating. Running perfectly.
H-D Should hire you as a test rider . Looks like you have a one of the bikes put together on a wedsday.  :up:

HV

Ill bet most of the Sales guys at our shop have no idea this is going on....Most Sales guys have no clue what happens in the Service Dept
Skype HV.HTT

Bigs

One of the dealers told me that like on the 1,000 mile check they don't check how much oil comes out they just drain it and refill and on a 5,000 check just drain and refill and if no leaks underneath no need to check the transmission. On the two Harleys I had before if I didn't see a leak underneath I never checked the transmission. Now on this new RK I can easily smell the Amsoil 75W-110 severe duty trans oil in the primary. This transmission deal sucks.
   Bigs

Quote from: HV on September 13, 2017, 07:33:57 PM
Ill bet most of the Sales guys at our shop have no idea this is going on....Most Sales guys have no clue what happens in the Service Dept
Oh you have got that right!!!
Sales managers drum it into their heads-"Don't worry about what goes on back there, concentrate on making a sale out here. You are a salesman, not a mechanic".

hd06

HV

Big flat rate shops dont give techs time to do anything but drain and refill...all about the #s people....Two more local Dealers were just bought by large Car Sales Groups.....only gonna get worst my Friends
Skype HV.HTT

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2017, 06:43:54 PM
Quote from: Grayrider on September 13, 2017, 01:04:17 PM
As if.

Not heard of it? or not admitting it!

My bet is most dealers will not disclose a problem that has occurred in a relatively low number of motorcycles to a possible buyer. Admit nothing, and sell a bike. Confess that there may be a problem and a possible buyer might walk away.

In 2006 I asked a salesman about the tensioner issues on the early Twin Cam, he said he had never heard of an issue. At the same time a friend had his bike in the same dealer getting tensioners replaced under warranty.
True. Early days of our oiler development , they would not admit to compensator issues either so the oiler was in their view unneeded. In 2014 it seemed it was the best thing since sliced bread when they came out with it. You had to know the right person for the real scoop. Beer helps.  Hell, they probably still won't admit there was a problem between 07-13. This migration thing will get resolved with time, or probably already has, unknown to most of us at this point as to how.
Ron

HV

I think a lot of you have no idea how a Dealership actually works in the real world......HD does NOT send notes or any other comments to any part of a Dealership letting them know about on going issues of any Kind......The Service Manager may know if he has been talking to a Service Rep about an exact issue ....unless its a Blatant Recall or Tech Tip sent out No one will know anything even if you think they do...Sales guys would know nothing .....Unless the Dealers employees frequent a Forum such as this they would not hear anything about on going issues and even then would not believe 90% of what they read.... Even a Tech attending a Factory Service Course will only get info related to the Repair and Trouble Shooting of the Topic at hand ....the instructors are following a course outline ...thats ALL ....and with the State of things at the MOCO right now even getting a part from the wharehouse is as easy as pulling a tooth  :banghead:
Skype HV.HTT

rbabos

Quote from: HV on September 14, 2017, 08:52:38 AM
I think a lot of you have no idea how a Dealership actually works in the real world......HD does NOT send notes or any other comments to any part of a Dealership letting them know about on going issues of any Kind......The Service Manager may know if he has been talking to a Service Rep about an exact issue ....unless its a Blatant Recall or Tech Tip sent out No one will know anything even if you think they do...Sales guys would know nothing .....Unless the Dealers employees frequent a Forum such as this they would not hear anything about on going issues and even then would not believe 90% of what they read.... Even a Tech attending a Factory Service Course will only get info related to the Repair and Trouble Shooting of the Topic at hand ....the instructors are following a course outline ...thats ALL ....and with the State of things at the MOCO right now even getting a part from the wharehouse is as easy as pulling a tooth  :banghead:
That pisses me off to no end. One reason I like HD is parts were at most one week away if needed. As you know we can't order from the states online so no gain that way even if I find it online at a dealer there, which I did.  Took me one month for a rear brake line order here in Ontario . :banghead: As bad as metrics are to get parts for time wise, if this will continue in the HD parts supply there won't be much difference. So much for some claiming having a dealer all over the place with owning a HD if trip repairs are needed  because chances of speedy fix while on a trip will be slim to nil in this case. Not happy with what I'm seeing lately.
Ron

HV

I agree 100% Ron....a few years back....over night for 90% of the parts....now.....Over a month  ( if your Lucky )
Skype HV.HTT

klammer76

Quote from: HV on September 14, 2017, 10:51:39 AM
I agree 100% Ron....a few years back....over night for 90% of the parts....now.....Over a month  ( if your Lucky )
HV, what is the reason for this?

HV

All the whare house etc have been re organised and moved......I see the Unions pulled out too something about HD Hiring Temp Staff and cutting back #s...all = a $hit Show
Skype HV.HTT