April 26, 2024, 10:37:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on October 21, 2017, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: FSG on October 21, 2017, 12:36:57 PM
You cant seal the mainshaft until you provide the primary another breathing/vent path

I never said anything about sealing the passage. Just add a o-ring to act as an oil slinger at the end of the push rod, but I don't know if there is room for it.

Another option to correct it, at least at the manufacturing level, it to move the release mechanism to the primary cover, put in a solid main shaft and separate primary vent.

Or my preference, ditch the three separate holes and build a unitized engine and tranny like the rest of the world does, think V-Rod :banghead:
Leave my bike out of this. :hyst:
Ron

FSG

why not perforate the mainshaft, plenty of length to drill vent holes   :hyst:

Bike31

I've followed this here and on the HD Forum since the first reports of transfer. And read it all. What's curious is there's been very little for pictures of the parts in and around the end of the trans input shaft, slave-side clutch pushrod end, and the clutch slave units before and after their recent P/N change.

Lots of speculation bafflegab but apparently those with an M8 and a problem that bothered to disassemble the trans and slave never did much documentation. SC finally released one of the inside bearing plate he puttied up, but little else. The outside of the bearing housing has been shown as have the bearings...older and new on the input.

Outside of HD's parts fiche and a few drawings like the one FSG just did there's not been much else to look at and discuss. If the clutch slave is suspected how about a left side pic of it and the clutch rod end and parts orientation?

metaliser

Quote from: Bike31 on October 21, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
I've followed this here and on the HD Forum since the first reports of transfer. And read it all. What's curious is there's been very little for pictures of the parts in and around the end of the trans input shaft, slave-side clutch pushrod end, and the clutch slave units before and after their recent P/N change.

Lots of speculation bafflegab but apparently those with an M8 and a problem that bothered to disassemble the trans and slave never did much documentation. SC finally released one of the inside bearing plate he puttied up, but little else. The outside of the bearing housing has been shown as have the bearings...older and new on the input.

Outside of HD's parts fiche and a few drawings like the one FSG just did there's not been much else to look at and discuss. If the clutch slave is suspected how about a left side pic of it and the clutch rod end and parts orientation?
Spoke with the service writer at the Pigeon Forge HD and he said one of the fixes that HD tried to do to the troubled OP's bike sucked all the clutch fluid from the reservoir, go figure on that one. The rep came down though and installed the baffle on that bike so I guess they think that's it, who knows.

rbabos

Cheer up guys. There will be a fix coming to a dealer near you eventually. As with most stuff MoCo fixes, it will be on your dime once these bikes are out of warranty.
Ron

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: PoorUB on October 21, 2017, 12:54:57 PM

I never said anything about sealing the passage. Just add a o-ring to act as an oil slinger at the end of the push rod, but I don't know if there is room for it.

Another option to correct it, at least at the manufacturing level, it to move the release mechanism to the primary cover, put in a solid main shaft and separate primary vent.

Or my preference, ditch the three separate holes and build a unitized engine and tranny like the rest of the world does, think V-Rod :banghead:
[/quote]

SOMEONE GET A ROPE!!
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Buglet

Is it possible to put a grove or a lip on the release rod right before it enters the mainshaft. This way the oil will drip the lip on grove and not follow the rod before entering the mainshaft.

Buglet

Here's another one how about cutting a left handed groove up the release rod.

PoorUB

Quote from: BUGLET on October 23, 2017, 03:03:35 PM
   Here's another one how about cutting a left handed groove up the release rod.

I thought of that too, but my bet is the release rod is spinning the same speed as the main shaft about 99.99% of the time. It might slow a bit while disengaging the clutch, but I doubt it as the release has a bearing in it too. A left hand groove would only work if the rod was spinning slower that the mainshaft.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hd06

Harley replaced raise and seal on crank. Put dye in trans still oil transfused to primary now my Harley Dealer was told to drive till my 10,000 service but bring it in when ever I want and they will check the fluids. I just wonder what will be done after my 10,000 service. I bought a UV dye light at my parts store. I was looking all over my bike that oil will glow with dye in it. I found a trace of oil on every lobe on my belt. My dealer said he couldn't do anything with it till there is a drop of oil on the floor. Has anyone had there trans fixed with the baffle.           

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on October 31, 2017, 05:02:05 PM
  Harley replaced raise and seal on crank. Put dye in trans still oil transfused to primary now my Harley Dealer was told to drive till my 10,000 service but bring it in when ever I want and they will check the fluids. I just wonder what will be done after my 10,000 service. I bought a UV dye light at my parts store. I was looking all over my bike that oil will glow with dye in it. I found a trace of oil on every lobe on my belt. My dealer said he couldn't do anything with it till there is a drop of oil on the floor. Has anyone had there trans fixed with the baffle.         
ya think just maybe your dealer is  pulling your leg??   why would you want to keep putting oil on your belt?  its not a chain, and oil for sure not be doing a belt any good in more ways than one? 

hd06

Yes that's true my dealer put bel-ray shock prof in trans. I called bel-ray customer service about his oil in the primary he said it will cause the clutch disk to slip. WTF

hd06

My dealer put BR in trans because its thicker fluid.

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on October 31, 2017, 05:31:08 PM
Yes that's true my dealer put bel-ray shock prof in trans. I called bel-ray customer service about his oil in the primary he said it will cause the clutch disk to slip. WTF

amazing 

HV

Reading what some Dealers are doing with these Bikes just makes me shake my head.... :emoGroan:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

happyman

Quote from: HV on October 31, 2017, 07:00:28 PM
Reading what some Dealers are doing with these Bikes just makes me shake my head.... :emoGroan:

!0/4. 

Mulligan

Hi folks,

here in germany this issue is fixed (not on all bikes) with the clutch pushrod...

i had this fix a few weeks ago and no oil transfer anymore.  Some dealers changed this on all of their demo bikes and for some k km now, no transfer.

I know it is not officaly fix from HD, but whatever.
Partsnumbers:
11143              Retaining RIng
37909-90         Retaining Ring
37092-06         Clutch Release Rod
37000113        Clutch ROd End
37000112        Pushrod , Clutch Release Plate

Karl H.

November 07, 2017, 11:49:02 PM #642 Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:56:54 PM by Karl H.
It might help but I'm not convinced about this "fix" yet! These parts have been used in all 2014 Rushmore Touring bikes with hydraulic clutch actuation. Nonetheless my 2014 Street Glide (twin cam) suffers from a "minor" oil transfer of about 50ml (1.7oz) in 5,000 mi.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

FSG

Quote from: FSG on October 13, 2017, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 13, 2017, 07:47:22 PM
My '15 Limited Low has the A&S clutch, as well as the narrow primary that went system wide in '16. Never a drop transferred. I don't even check the fluid level between changes any more.  :idunno:

and it has a pre Brembo Slave Cylinder which may not react as much to the A&S Clutch action

Brakes and more for the new HARLEY-DAVIDSON FLT MY17

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/harley-davidson-brembo-brakes

HD P/N  37200131A    SECONDARY CLUTCH ACTUATOR

hd06

looks like that's the ticket   :idea:

Karl H.

Don't think that the diaphragm of the Brembo unit made the difference.

Twincam (-2016)
[attach=0]

M8 (2017 up)
[attach=1]

hd06

At least somebody is stepping up to the plate,time will tell. I have that problem I may end up trying it.

Mark P

Quote from: Mulligan on November 07, 2017, 11:02:46 PM
Hi folks,

here in germany this issue is fixed (not on all bikes) with the clutch pushrod...

i had this fix a few weeks ago and no oil transfer anymore.  Some dealers changed this on all of their demo bikes and for some k km now, no transfer.

I know it is not officaly fix from HD, but whatever.
Partsnumbers:
11143              Retaining RIng
37909-90         Retaining Ring
37092-06         Clutch Release Rod
37000113        Clutch ROd End
37000112        Pushrod , Clutch Release Plate

We use those parts when converting from the stock hydraulic cover to the Baker hydraulic cover. So far so good, no fluid transfer. Not sure if it is the mechanical push rod parts or our piston design but it's working.

Karl H.

That's an important message! The problem can be safely cured by altering the pushrod and slave piston design. That should be an affordable recall work for the mothership :up:

Karl

1FSTRK

Quote from: Karl H. on November 14, 2017, 05:27:23 AM
Don't think that the diaphragm of the Brembo unit made the difference.

Twincam (-2016)
[attach=0]

M8 (2017 up)
[attach=1]

I would think just the opposite,  the diaphragm looks to decrease the volume of the chamber where the oils accumulates and in the center where it is closest to the main shaft it may even  touch when the clutch is actuated. I can't believe that someone have not simply drilled a drain hole in bottom as indicated in this thread earlier. No accumulated oil, nothing to transfer.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."