April 27, 2024, 01:40:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 16, 2017, 03:59:25 AM
Quote from: Karl H. on November 14, 2017, 05:27:23 AM
Don't think that the diaphragm of the Brembo unit made the difference.

Twincam (-2016)
[attach=0]

M8 (2017 up)
[attach=1]

I would think just the opposite,  the diaphragm looks to decrease the volume of the chamber where the oils accumulates and in the center where it is closest to the main shaft it may even  touch when the clutch is actuated. I can't believe that someone have not simply drilled a drain hole in bottom as indicated in this thread earlier. No accumulated oil, nothing to transfer.
That would be a good first step. This is taking way too long to solve.
Ron

FSG

Here's the pre Brembo Slave Cylinder, there may/was/is transfer with the previous slave cylinder BUT the diaphragm in the Brembo Slave has made a world of difference and not for the good.

The problem IMO isn't the Brembo Slave Cylinder, it's the way in which HD have used it.

1FSTRK

November 19, 2017, 03:49:32 AM #652 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:57:57 AM by 1FSTRK
I would drill the return holes myself but if someone likes testing swap the M-8 slave out for a Twin cam slave and see if the transfer decreases.
With these pictures it becomes more evident that they are trapping liquid oil right at the end of the mainshaft and the path of least resistance is right down the hollow shaft to the primary.
As far as the MOCO, they know what is happening with most of these problems. The task is not just to fix the problem, it is to fix it in such a way that you can say it was never a problem. You have to mask it as a manufacturing change or improvement that way you do not pay to fix the old ones.
Think 50,000 bikes at $50.00 a bike and it is a 2.5 million dollar bill
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Durwood

I just pulled mine apart yesterday, I was going to drill a drain hole, the problem is that the lower portion on the slave chamber will be right at the oil level...

It is still apart, and I am pondering cutting the center out of the diaphragm.

Durwood

November 19, 2017, 04:52:35 AM #654 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:47:19 AM by FSG
[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

rigidthumper

Is the solution as easy as removing this material? Make that hole big enough, and no more carryover? IMO, they made it this way to allow slave cylinder changes without losing fluid- I'd rather have to add a few ounces in the odd event of having to replace the slave unit, than have to worry about carry over.
[smg id=3129]
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FSG

Quotethey made it this way to allow slave cylinder changes without losing fluid

I think I've said the same thing earlier   :teeth:

Yes cut the center out OR jut the bottom half out, the cover needs relieving as well so both would provide a path for the oil to return to the trannie, without relieving the cover the gasket thickness is the only gap for oil to pass thru.

1FSTRK

Pics two and three would be my thought. I would leave all of the top to help shield oil from entering the cavity. In in pic three I would insure to remove material only in areas that had good drainage though the bearing housing into the main trans case.

Karl H.

November 19, 2017, 12:28:23 PM #658 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:42:19 PM by Karl H.
FSG, could you mark (if you know) where the tranny oil level is? Could be important imho.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rbabos

Quote from: Karl H. on November 19, 2017, 12:28:23 PM
FSG, could you mark (if you know) where the tranny oil level is? Could be important imho.

Karl
Better still, do the function of the helical gears force the oil level higher in that area like a pumping action. If so, might be a fix that won't work.
Ron

FSG

Quote from: Karl H. on November 19, 2017, 12:28:23 PM

Karl

Sorry, I don't know, I've not seen a M8 other than in the showroom.

Darren has said "I was going to drill a drain hole, the problem is that the lower portion on the slave chamber will be right at the oil level..."   perhaps he could draw a line on a pic.

I'd have the bike on the side stand, even the wheels on 2x4s to get an angle such that the slave could be removed without loosing oil.

FSG

Quote from: rbabos on November 19, 2017, 12:32:03 PM
Better still, do the function of the helical gears force the oil level higher in that area like a pumping action. If so, might be a fix that won't work.
Ron

I'm sure they do, I've said earlier that the gears main and counter will be acting like a screw compressor and pushing oil to the bearing.

That said if they are pushing oil then the opposite side of the gearset should be sucking.  So I'd suck it and see.

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on November 19, 2017, 12:40:59 PM
Quote from: rbabos on November 19, 2017, 12:32:03 PM
Ron

I'm sure they do, I've said earlier that the gears main and counter will be acting like a screw compressor and pushing oil to the bearing.

That said if they are pushing oil then the opposite side of the gearset should be sucking.  So I'd suck it and see.

Cable clutch bikes use the same gears and do not have the problem so it is the trapping of the oil not the gears pushing it. I do not have a bike to look at either but if you leave the side by the gears that may be pumping shrouded and open the opposite side so the oil can flow back it should work as well as a cable cover does.

Karl H.

November 19, 2017, 01:00:19 PM #663 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:05:18 PM by Karl H.
Provided the M8 tranny has about the same (?) oil level as the TC tranny it looked like that:

[attach=0]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

FSG

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 19, 2017, 12:55:05 PM
....the problem so it is the trapping of the oil not the gears pushing it. ...  if you leave the side by the gears that may be pumping shrouded and open the opposite side so the oil can flow back it should work as well as a cable cover does.

the oil is trapped, yes, but it has to get there and it didn't walk, so IMO it's pushed

maybe I'm overthinking it remembering the days I worked on screw/reciprocating air compressors that put out 800 cfm at 3000 psi, they were driven by 12V149s, noisy baskets

BUT ......  the side cover holding the ramps doesn't seal around the end of the mainshaft like the hyd side cover does so there must be some relief rather than just rely on the gasket thickness

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on November 19, 2017, 01:11:51 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 19, 2017, 12:55:05 PM
......  if you leave the side by the gears that may be pumping shrouded and open the opposite side so the oil can flow back it should work as well as a cable cover does.

BUT ......  the side cover holding the ramps doesn't seal around the end of the mainshaft like the hyd side cover does so there must be some relief rather than just rely on the gasket thickness

Damn internet  :banghead:
We are in complete agreement on this and have been. Both covers need to be opened up.
All I was trying to say is the machined relief could be biased toward the lower quarter that would drain back best.

I wish I had a bike local. This is a 1 hour test at Vic's shop.
Post 1 feb 17 2017

FSG

Durwood

Quote from: Karl H. on November 19, 2017, 01:00:19 PM
Provided the M8 tranny has about the same (?) oil level as the TC tranny it looked like that:

[attach=0]
Karl, I'd say that's pretty close. I eyeballed the stick location from outside the trans through the passageway in the lower portion of the case.

To The Max

Hi guys have been following this thread for a while now and I was wondering if you removed the cover but left the slave cyl attached, and pulled the clutch leaver in would oil be forced out of the gap between the housing and the slave cylinder. Max

topcat3815

Maybe HD should go back to a cable operated clutch

dogger

I agree with topcat. Many of the riders with hydraulic clutches have had some kind of a problem at one time or another.

les

Quote from: Karl H. on November 19, 2017, 01:00:19 PM

[attach=0]

Those support ribs on the one on the right look a lot more restrictive than the cable housing on the left.

borno

The rubber on that Brembo slave cylinder looks just like a LMI pump diaphragm, no wonder it pumps oil. :oil:

1FSTRK

One thing to note is the problem is not more prevalent in city traffic when you are using the clutch alot, it shows up at mid to high rpm contant running.

PoorUB

Quote from: dogger on November 20, 2017, 08:53:23 AM
I agree with topcat. Many of the riders with hydraulic clutches have had some kind of a problem at one time or another.

Cable clutches are not trouble free either. First off look at all the threads we see on adjusting a cable clutch, plus after a few miles the cable wears, then breaks. I have had both, I like the hydraulic better.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!