April 27, 2024, 04:06:55 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

November 20, 2017, 11:14:56 AM #675 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:24:44 AM by rbabos
FSG's post reply 656 is the most likely fix. Yup. Can't believe how friggin stupid that area is. Slave sealing boot, seriously?
Ron

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

PoorUB

I agree that the area behind the slave should be opened up. If nothing else a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled across the bottem should do it. I also wonder that if the push rod sticks out as far as it does in this picture,

that placing a hard plastic or a rubber o-ring that fits tight would work as a oil slinger. I would want to use something the would not destroy the tranny if it falls off. But perhaps a small steel washer spot welded on would do it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

To The Max

Quote from: PoorUB on November 20, 2017, 03:54:58 PM
I agree that the area behind the slave should be opened up. If nothing else a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled across the bottem should do it. I also wonder that if the push rod sticks out as far as it does in this picture,

that placing a hard plastic or a rubber o-ring that fits tight would work as a oil slinger. I would want to use something the would not destroy the tranny if it falls off. But perhaps a small steel washer spot welded on would do it.
I was thinking the same thing , but would love to see what would happen if you ran the bike to 3000 rpm with the slave cyl off. Max

Rockout Rocker Products

Back when the 17's came out I tried & tried to get the new slave cylinder to try on my '15, I wanted the longer rod travel to help with tranny klank. No one would sell me one... could only be sold/installed by a dealer.

Guess they did me a favor.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Bigtwin

1FSTRK

Are you saying you removed .5mm and it worked?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Bigtwin

It's just my opinion.

oil tranfert : 0.2L / 500km

If HD give me not solution, i try this

1FSTRK

.5mm may not be enough on the bottom and that surface is only half the problem. you need to drain the cavity between the slave and the plate also.

Bigtwin

maybe - 0.75mm with little holes

Sorry, my English is not very good.

1FSTRK

I would not do anything above the center line because it may let more oil in.

Bigtwin

November 27, 2017, 05:21:19 AM #686 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:38:08 AM by Bigtwin
so that the oil can flow more easily, it is necessary that the air can return  :scratch:

we do not know if the oil comes from above or below ?

1FSTRK

We know that stock, the oil enters around the hole for the main shaft because that is the only hole.
We don't need more flow, we need drainage. If you create drains in the bottom and leave the
top alone any oil that enters the center hole should flow downward and out the holes.

Bigtwin

Bigtwin

I do not know if anyone has already done it ?

1FSTRK

Bigtwin

I read everything and I did not find the validation of this solution  :scratch: :idunno:

harleytuner

Quote from: Bigtwin on November 27, 2017, 06:03:45 AM
I do not know if anyone has already done it ?

It has been done with positive results.  The 2 I know of had reduced the transfer probably about 75%.  The next step was to remove a little more material.  I have not heard of the results of the second modification yet.  They are also making some modifications to the mainshaft bearing to test as well.  You are on the right track with want you are suggesting.

Bigtwin

In France, my dealer told me right away that it was a known problem but that HD did not really have a solution to offer ......
I do not want to wait for months for a possible solution.
My dealer agrees that I try this solution in the meantime.
Thanks for your help.  :up:

Bigtwin

Before drilling holes in this area, I ask myself: what is it for? Protection of the hydraulic menbrane?

FSG

Bigtwin

FSG

from where? there's none in the trannie.

Bigtwin

there must be some pressure in this area for the oil to pass through the pushrod

FSG

you say "jets of oil under pressure"

there are none, what we do have in my opinion is the gears on the main and countershafts spinning in toward one another acting as a screw compressor and pushing the oil toward and through the trapdoor bearing on the mainshaft, the slave cylinder is pulsing as a result of feedback from the A&S clutch via the pushrod, it's this pulsing in my opinion that is pushing the oil through to the primary