April 27, 2024, 05:56:45 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigtwin

I have trouble with the translation. You mean to push the oil by disengaging, by operating the lever of the left hand?

FSG

QuoteYou mean to push the oil by disengaging, by operating the lever of the left hand?

No

If you lightly rest your hand/fingers on the clutch lever you can feel the A&S Clutch in action, that is the feedback from the clutch via the slave cylinder.

Karl H.

November 28, 2017, 03:49:48 AM #702 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:59:24 AM by Karl H.

A&S Clutch was introduced on the 2013 CVO models and 2014 Tri Glide. With the M8 it became a standard feature 2017 up.

[attach=0]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on November 28, 2017, 02:39:00 AM
QuoteYou mean to push the oil by disengaging, by operating the lever of the left hand?

No

If you lightly rest your hand/fingers on the clutch lever you can feel the A&S Clutch in action, that is the feedback from the clutch via the slave cylinder.
Gave it some thought  :scratch: and doubt it would pump. Goes in and out on an even cycle so no directional effect. That and the feel in the lever is multiplied from the pressure reversal. Big piston feeding back to a small one. Slave movement would only be a few thou at most.
Back to the same old. There must be accumulation around the pushrod for anything to happen.
Ron

HV

Every time you shift you can feel a pulse in the lever almost like a HYD feed back of some kind
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

blackhillsken

Quote from: HV on November 28, 2017, 01:20:35 PM
Every time you shift you can feel a pulse in the lever almost like a HYD feed back of some kind

Used to get that lever pulsing on some 2007s and were fixed with the Baker bearing door kit.
Ken

FSG

QuoteThere must be accumulation around the pushrod for anything to happen.

the gear box screw compressor will keep the slave recess full, the slave pulse will do the rest

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on November 28, 2017, 01:33:32 PM
QuoteThere must be accumulation around the pushrod for anything to happen.

the gear box screw compressor will keep the slave recess full, the slave pulse will do the rest
Head from the reason you stated would bring the fluid at the bottom of the PR hole and gravity when on the kickstand too will move some also. The whole situmatation sucks , I tell you.
Ron

Advntr

The local service manager at the HD store told me the moco still does not know what the case of the migration is and he opined that there may be a porosity issues with the castings...i will check with my other service parts manager that i know. :emoGroan:

harleytuner

Quote from: Advntr on December 01, 2017, 06:33:30 AM
The local service manager at the HD store told me the moco still does not know what the case of the migration is and he opined that there may be a porosity issues with the castings...i will check with my other service parts manager that i know. :emoGroan:

lol, porous cases?  Between the trans and primary?  Let that sink in for a minute. :doh:

PoorUB

Quote from: harleytuner on December 01, 2017, 06:41:13 AM
Quote from: Advntr on December 01, 2017, 06:33:30 AM

lol, porous cases?  Between the trans and primary?  Let that sink in for a minute. :doh:

Sure, that I certainly the cause! :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Karl H.

December 01, 2017, 08:38:39 AM #711 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:50:13 AM by Karl H.
Porosity between crank and primary case leading to vacuum in the primary as discussed by Max on HDF already (see #449)   :pop:

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

1FSTRK

Porosity may put engine oil it the primary but would not be the cause or cure for trans fluid in the primary, it just doen't work that way.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harleytuner

If the engine case is porous enough too draw a vacuumthrough the primary and pull trans fluid into it you would think it would pull primary fluid into the crank case.  Besides it would have to pull more air than the vent supplies.

1FSTRK

Not to mention that it will pull air only unless you have something causing the trans oil to be up to the level of the center hole in the mainshaft. It just keeps coming back to the changes in the side cover and slave cylinder that cover the end of the shaft with liquid trans oil. This just is not an air and vapor problem.

-deuced-

December 01, 2017, 09:59:36 PM #715 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:44:39 PM by -deuced-
deleted, wrong page

FSG

December 01, 2017, 11:29:25 PM #716 Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 07:56:54 AM by FSG
[attach=0]

You cannot see attachments on this board.

To The Max

Quote from: FSG on December 01, 2017, 11:29:25 PM
[attach=0]
Great diagram could sit and watch that pumping action all day. But more to the point , from what I see there a slinger is in order. has any one tried one yet?

FSG

1FSTRK

:idea:
There would be room for a slinger if you machine out the slinger shaped cone they added to the end cover instead of drilling holes in it.

Is it as simple as machining out what they added to the new covers and then go back to a slinger?

Maybe just one more case of you can't make it better if you don't know how it worked in the first place.

rigidthumper

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 02, 2017, 04:41:31 AM
:idea:
There would be room for a slinger if you machine out the slinger shaped cone they added to the end cover instead of drilling holes in it.

Is it as simple as machining out what they added to the new covers and then go back to a slinger?

Maybe just one more case of you can't make it better if you don't know how it worked in the first place.
Bingo- but I wonder if that's not a cost effective solution, as they would have to replace the side cover, (few machinists left at most dealerships) push rod pieces, and gaskets, at a cost of about $230/unit.  HD has produced over two hundred thousand 2017/2018 units, so this is a 50 million dollar fix.

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

VDeuce

Great diagram, FSG.

Has anyone tried a cable conversion with slinger on an M8 to prove transfer stops?

rigidthumper

Quote from: VDeuce on December 02, 2017, 06:27:53 AM
Great diagram, FSG.

Has anyone tried a cable conversion with slinger on an M8 to prove transfer stops?
Good question! Any M8 softails having transfer issues?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

crewchief25H

I have a 18 with transfer issues. My dealer called Harley Tech and was told they have a oil deflector prototype they are installing in the trans. I'm working thru the transfer validation to get one installed.
My bike has 600 miles on the clock. At 490 dealer filled tranny with 12 oz.  Dealer wants me to get to 1000 miles to validate TA0022 and then HD will send someone out to install the deflector..

Anybody know what this "deflector" looks like?

VDeuce

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 02, 2017, 06:39:48 AM
Quote from: VDeuce on December 02, 2017, 06:27:53 AM
Great diagram, FSG.

Good question! Any M8 softails having transfer issues?
From what I have heard, being cable operated, the 18 Softails don't transfer.

But, I would really like to see proof that a cable would resolve the issue on a Touring bike that has the issue. I would think it would. If it were my bike and I had a non-batwing fairing, I'd do the retrofit. The batwing would be more challenging due to having to drill hole for cable. Road Kings and Road Glides would be easy I would think.