April 27, 2024, 01:49:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 15, 2018, 06:19:00 AM
Quote from: hd06 on March 14, 2018, 06:57:55 PM
What about making left hand turns.
Or even right hand turns depending on your speed because centrifugal force would tend to push fluid to the left if you're doing high speed twisties. Or maybe I'm clueless.  :doh:
Centrifugal force will be centered in the bike or you would fall over. Fluid remains in the same position as upright during turns at speed.
Ron

Oz Dan

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on March 14, 2018, 05:29:10 PM
Quote from: Oz Dan on March 14, 2018, 04:47:03 PM
Quote from: rbabos on March 14, 2018, 11:20:46 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on March 14, 2018, 08:35:46 AM
Would it be a good idea to install this kit as PM on a bike that doesn't seem to have the transfer issue at this time?
What I find odd the damn things are all built the same so they should all transfer or not transfer. How it's operated seems to be the only logical cause, as in higher rpms vs lower rpms operation. As for the new part , can't see it hurting and could be called an upgrade, providing it actually does what it claims to do. Jury still out on that.
Ron

The rpm thing does seem logical, but my M8 has been dyno tuned twice. It didn't transfer any oil during either tune, and I watched them do the tunes......ran then right up to red line multiple times.  Nor does it transfer during regular riding, sometimes at high rpm, and I now have over 20,000 km.......I can't get my head around why most don't but some do either.
Its been reported that some do it while sitting on the kickstand and idling, that makes since with the bike at an angle. I wonder if the ones transfuring really bad on the dyno were at an angle?

lol. I doubt it. I know many seem suspicious when people report no transfer under conditions they have witnessed it, but it is what it is. How can there be some inherent design flaw if my M8 has undergone two dyno sessions without any transfer, and covered 20,000km again without transfer?

A mystery for sure, but if anyone dynos bikes on the side stand or on an angle, I'd lmao. Would be a pretty unique set up hey?
2017 FLHR Stage 2

hd06

I cam ride mine 240 miles and loose 4 oz.

hd06

pappashelby

Quote from: pappashelby on March 13, 2018, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: rbabos on March 12, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on March 12, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: Uboofer on March 12, 2018, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on March 10, 2018, 05:57:02 AM
Interesting, that kit is available in GB-36300028 retails for ~45 pounds. That's pricey, for 1 gasket and 1 plastic tube...

Am I missing something?  HD has a fluid transfer issue on the M8 motors and their solution is to have you buy the fix?

Pretty sure if your bike is under warranty they will put the kit in for free. The MoCo put a price on it just because someone will want to buy it.
Likely, once proof of transfer is shown and documented.
Ron
Shop said I transferred 12oz in 1k miles. They ordered the kit today. Will be done under warranty

Shop called today the kit is in . Probably won't take it in until Tuesday

klammer76

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on February 24, 2018, 10:29:44 AM
The saga continues...here's a thread on one of the latest attempts at a cure: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1219654-the-fix-is-in.html

Last few pages, Bruce/Max/Admiral is getting involved...machining the nuts.

Looks like some decent results from their work. Check last couple of pages.

kd

Actually pg 22/ 23 on will be better to get the gist of it.  :up:
KD

klammer76

Quote from: kd on March 22, 2018, 07:59:49 AM
Actually pg 22/ 23 on will be better to get the gist of it.  :up:
Yeah, that's what I meant, should have worded it that way  :embarrassed: It appears to possibly be some decent progress.

Bigs

Does Harley have a notice or whatever for the transmission oil deflector kit. I'm trying to get it done under warranty and the dealer cannot find anything from
Harley yet.
   Bigs

HV

There is no service bulletin or advisory on this at all only the Part Number.....they will have to call the factory and request it be installed ...even then its not a sure thing that they will OK it
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Karl H.

TRANSMISSION OIL DEFLECTOR KIT
Kit Number 36300028
Instruction J06703
Date 2018-01-31
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rbabos

Quote from: HV on March 25, 2018, 05:35:40 PM
There is no service bulletin or advisory on this at all only the Part Number.....they will have to call the factory and request it be installed ...even then its not a sure thing that they will OK it
There was one. I read it for the part install. It has magically vanished from the internet. Translation, the damn thing likely never worked so they secretively dumped it.
Ron

HV

The only thing Ive seen is the Instruction sheet for that Part # ...even searching the HD Net site shows no actual Bulletin
Skype HV.HTT

kd

Quote from: rbabos on March 26, 2018, 05:52:31 AM
There was one. I read it for the part install. It has magically vanished from the internet. Translation, the damn thing likely never worked so they secretively dumped it.
Ron

..... or more likely, they are still following the 2 fixes that are being tested on the 2 Harley forums and trying to figure out which one is the cheapest and easiest to steal.  :crook:
KD

HV

I know for a Fact they did away with their " Replace the front Main seal and spacer Fix "  :SM:
Skype HV.HTT

HD/Wrench

Quote from: HV on March 26, 2018, 06:35:41 AM
I know for a Fact they did away with their " Replace the front Main seal and spacer Fix "  :SM:

That was just silly . No way was it sucking fluid only  to the primary and then stopping .  :hyst: :hyst:  Selective vacuum  :wtf:

Bigs

I get a little ticked off with Harley. I live about 8 miles from the York plant and the dealer is about 1 mile away and they can't get anything from Harley yet but they say they will keep trying. If worse comes to worse I'll buy the kit and put it in myself.
   Bigs

rbabos

Quote from: kd on March 26, 2018, 06:13:34 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 26, 2018, 05:52:31 AM
Ron

..... or more likely, they are still following the 2 fixes that are being tested on the 2 Harley forums and trying to figure out which one is the cheapest and easiest to steal.  :crook:
No chit!
Ron

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 26, 2018, 06:39:01 AM

That was just silly . No way was it sucking fluid only  to the primary and then stopping .  :hyst: :hyst:  Selective vacuum  :wtf:

I thought that was far out when I first read it. 

So easy to have tested and proved/disproved this on a known transferring bike prior to making it an official recommendation.

rbabos

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on March 26, 2018, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 26, 2018, 06:39:01 AM

I thought that was far out when I first read it. 

So easy to have tested and proved/disproved this on a known transferring bike prior to making it an official recommendation.
Yes but nobody bothered.
Ron

justaguy

They are still saying to replace the front main seal and spacer for '14-'16 Models. The oil deflector kits are only for the M8 '17-'18. My service manager talked to them this at about a '16 that is transferring.

twincamzz

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/379300

appears link is no longer valid... or at least for me. Is the MoCo trying to now pretend this part does not exist ? Too much demand ? Talked to my dealer this morning & was told to bring motorcycle in, let them drain & adjust fluid levels, then recheck in 1000 miles. Says this will have to happen at least THREE times before factory will consider installing this kit in my motorcycle, despite the fact that it has already been in for first attempt at repair under TA0022. WTF ?   :banghead:
not all who wander are lost...

les

Quote from: twincamzz on March 27, 2018, 08:41:03 AM

appears link is no longer valid... or at least for me. Is the MoCo trying to now pretend this part does not exist ? Too much demand ? Talked to my dealer this morning & was told to bring motorcycle in, let them drain & adjust fluid levels, then recheck in 1000 miles. Says this will have to happen at least THREE times before factory will consider installing this kit in my motorcycle, despite the fact that it has already been in for first attempt at repair under TA0022. WTF ?   :banghead:

Hmmm...I wonder what your state lemon law specifies about the repeat count.  Three times and a new motorcycle, perhaps?

Hossamania

Quote from: les on March 27, 2018, 10:04:39 AM

Hmmm...I wonder what your state lemon law specifies about the repeat count.  Three times and a new motorcycle, perhaps?

That's been brought up, evidently it doesn't always apply to motorcycles.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

March 27, 2018, 10:43:48 AM #949 Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:49:11 AM by rbabos

That's the one I was talking about. I got to read it and next time I went to look it was a dead link, just like that. Also read about the same time someone had it installed and it didn't solve the problem. Coincidence?
Ron