April 27, 2024, 05:59:04 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47FL80

Pulled it down, printed it, seems to be the fix being discussed.  Called the Harley store, they say they know nothing about it and when the parts guy tried to get one for me, he said only the service department can get it and had some kind of lock on it from the Motor Company.  About a $14,00 part, it seems.  Looking at the Transmission Oil Deflector Kit Instructions, it would be pretty simple to install, but I cannot get one and they do not have any.

Sad.  As noted earlier, I depart for a Big Alaska Run on my 2017 FLHTKUL on 11 June, sure would be nice to have this done before I go.  If I had the kit, I'd do it myself and not worry about any recall or warranty issues., but that does not seem to be in the cards.  So, I will stick with my plan and carry extra transmission fluid and the syringe to suck oil out of the primary every 1,000 miles or so, and get it fixed in July when I'm home from the Run.

Thank you, VERY much for guiding me to this Instruction sheet, rigidthumper.  At least, I can see down the road there will be a fix.

Bigs

Took my 17 RK to dealer for the fix. Was told they would have to drain the transmission and primary and fill with formula or Harley syn 3 and then ride 1,000 miles and check the levels. It sort of pi$$s me off since I just filled the transmission and primary to the correct levels. When I get the bike back we'll see how it goes with Harley.
   Bigs

rbabos

Quote from: Bigs on June 09, 2018, 04:07:04 AM
Took my 17 RK to dealer for the fix. Was told they would have to drain the transmission and primary and fill with formula or Harley syn 3 and then ride 1,000 miles and check the levels. It sort of pi$$s me off since I just filled the transmission and primary to the correct levels. When I get the bike back we'll see how it goes with Harley.
   Bigs
I would be way beyond sort of. This has gone on way too long with these bikes.
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on June 10, 2018, 06:04:18 AM
   Bigs

I wonder how many have been affected. Part of me thinks it is a small percentage, it would explain one reason why the MoCo has been so slow to come up with w repair. I am sure the cost of repairs is also on their minds. They don't want to end up with a recall and still $$ into all M8's produced with hydraulic clutches.
Ron
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on June 10, 2018, 06:09:28 AM
   Bigs

I wonder how many have been affected. Part of me thinks it is a small percentage, it would explain one reason why the MoCo has been so slow to come up with w repair. I am sure the cost of repairs is also on their minds. They don't want to end up with a recall and still $$ into all M8's produced with hydraulic clutches.
Ron
Not sure I buy that. If they are all designed the same way, they either all don't or all will transfer in the right conditions.
Ron

harley_cruiser

Quote from: rbabos on June 10, 2018, 07:10:01 AM
   Bigs

Ron
Not sure I buy that. If they are all designed the same way, they either all don't or all will transfer in the right conditions.
Ron
I think the problem is greater than we think, most bikes under warranty are taken in for service every 2500 and no one checks how much fluid runs out. Most do not even know there is a problem.

happyman

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on June 10, 2018, 07:35:01 AM
Quote from: rbabos on June 10, 2018, 07:10:01 AM
   Bigs

Ron
Ron
I think the problem is greater than we think, most bikes under warranty are taken in for service every 2500 and no one checks how much fluid runs out. Most do not even know there is a problem.
the sumping issue is not recognized all to often   also. 

47FL80

At the 5,000 mile, prescribed, service intervals, at least on one of my customer bikes, 7 ounces had migrated.  On my own 2017 FLHTKUL, in less than 2,000 miles, about 4 ounces migrated.  I believe it is significant.  Owners rarely bring their bikes in for even the 5,000 mile interval service, so with 6 or 7 ounces of extra fluid in the primary, there is significant drag on the clutch.  I believe this is happening with all M8 motorcycles IF they are equipped with a hydraulic clutch.  That is not an insignificant number of motorcycles, nor is it an insignificant problem.  I now have customers who tell me it is getting to be difficult to "find" neutral.  Some of these customers are long-time, hard-core, FAST riders, and that may contribute to the migration, I do not know.  In the less than 2,000 mile trip I describe, I ran hard, though, never over 87.99 MPH recorded on my Dyno Power Vision module, at least, not when I was looking at it!  :-)  The bike is built to run that fast, so this should not be happening at any speed.  It is an issue, as we all know.

triumph60

My 2018 streetglide 107 had 10 ounzes transfer to the primary in 4000 Klm and Harley refused to look at the problem !,, thy told me to moniter the oil level every 1000klm and have a harley tech check it and record the amounts ?..so much for any long distance touring on this 30 thousand dollar tourer .I think I solved the problem by not putting 32 ounzes in the primary just 22 and it has not transferred any transmission oil in the last 4000 klm ?? I'm no engineer but with the new clutch and narrower primary cover 32 ounzes is causing a vacuum effect with that amount of oil splashing in there !,so far it seems to have solved the transfer issue

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: triumph60 on June 11, 2018, 03:56:36 PM
My 2018 streetglide 107 had 10 ounzes transfer to the primary in 4000 Klm and Harley refused to look at the problem !,, thy told me to moniter the oil level every 1000klm and have a harley tech check it and record the amounts ?..so much for any long distance touring on this 30 thousand dollar tourer .I think I solved the problem by not putting 32 ounzes in the primary just 22 and it has not transferred any transmission oil in the last 4000 klm ?? I'm no engineer but with the new clutch and narrower primary cover 32 ounzes is causing a vacuum effect with that amount of oil splashing in there !,so far it seems to have solved the transfer issue

If that were the case a simple vent on the primary, which I believe has already been tried, would have worked.

Sunny Jim

Who and where was the primary vented. Any pics?

bobrk1

Dan you  have  a  lot  of  replies  was  on a  different  site  guy has  same  problem , there  is  a  seat  that  causes  the  problem 

PoorUB

I have wondered if it has something to do with the clutch acting as a "fan", spinning and producing a low pressure area at the cltch hub. Maybe if the pressure plate had more openings to let air circulate through the clutch. :idunno:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Quote from: PoorUB on June 12, 2018, 07:25:53 AM
I have wondered if it has something to do with the clutch acting as a "fan", spinning and producing a low pressure area at the cltch hub. Maybe if the pressure plate had more openings to let air circulate through the clutch. :idunno:

Now I like that theory.  :up:  It only takes a few drops per hour to add up to ounces in a few thousand miles of spirited riding. It does seem that there is a connection to that type of use and lower clutch basket RPM would likely have little or no effect on the fan type draw scenario.
KD

Karl H.

Quote from: Sunny Jim on June 12, 2018, 05:38:15 AM
Who and where was the primary vented. Any pics?

The guy added an o-ring to the pushrod and vented the primary as shown. It worked!

[attach=0]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rigidthumper

Makes sense- O-ring on the pushrod stopped the transfer/flow, and having the inner vented to atmosphere keeps the primary from pressurizing, and the primary gasket from seeping.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 12, 2018, 08:58:12 AM
Makes sense- O-ring on the pushrod stopped the transfer/flow, and having the inner vented to atmosphere keeps the primary from pressurizing, and the primary gasket from seeping.
Agree. It's the only real fix and was discussed way back. For all those waiting for MoCo to solve it, good luck with that one. Even back in the shovelhead days, that vented method was used and a seal on the pushrod.
Ron

harley_cruiser

Quote from: rbabos on June 12, 2018, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on June 12, 2018, 08:58:12 AM
Agree. It's the only real fix and was discussed way back. For ahe ll those waiting for MoCo to solve it, good luck with that one. Even back in the shovelhead days, that vented method wiven the as used and a seal on the pushrod.
Ron
The problem with the o-ring is that while the shaft size is consitant, the tunnel in the different main shafts vary. There is not a whole lot of clearance between the two and that o-ring is very thin, given the variance, keeping the o-ring in place. plus finding the right o-ring. I ordered a half dozen different sizes, never could find one that I felt would work.

VDeuce

I'm now running the CVO 3-piece pushrod. Too early to tell yet, only a couple hundred miles. I can tell you that the actuator side piece is a much larger diameter than the stock pushrod and fills the gap, but of course not completely. If that works I'll be a happy camper. It's cheap too.

Bigs

One dealer told my about the CVO pushrod and they used on a couple of bikes and it seemed to work. I don't know if it stopped the transfer completely but it must have slowed it down.

Bigs

marksadz

Hi guys new to the forum, 2018 street glide anniversary model. I have the transmission transfer problem too. At 1000 mile service had the "fix" and was told it'll be fine now. Yeah righto! Just got back from a 1000 mile trip around europe and the dip stick on the transmission was bone dry, took it to my dealer where the mechanic stuck a screw driver down the hole which was at least 3 inches longer than the dip stick and said there is oil in there (there was 1mm at the end of his screwdriver). I told him thats just plain wrong it must have caused damage and he said that he's had bike that have run for 3000 miles with no trans oil and caused no damage and not to worry about it. He's a dick! I'm throwing the bike back at the dealer theres no way it hasn't caused some damage. I'm not prepared to take the risk on the transmission going tits up just after the warranty runs out. It's not fit for purpose

Nastytls

2018 RG built 3/18. Trans oil was fine at 500 miles. Did 600 miles in Laconia and now no oil on dipstick.
Brought it in to dealer for 1k service ( which I usually would have done myself but they said they'd honor my warranty despite exhaust, AC, s&s cam and PV if I had them perform all service on it and no other dealer saw it ) and told them there's no oil in the trans. We'll see what they say.

moose

here's the real story

MOCO is waiting for all the bikes to do it 

then

THE LOGIC WILL BE      "THEY ALL DO IT IT'S NORMAL"
Moose aka Glenn-

Nastytls

Mothership told my dealer to have me come back in 1K miles and see where it's at and that I shouldn't touch anything or add any fluids... :sick:

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.