April 27, 2024, 02:39:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Quote from: Nastytls on June 27, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
Mothership told my dealer to have me come back in 1K miles and see where it's at and that I shouldn't touch anything or add any fluids... :sick:

so if a lot of fluid is transferring you ride 1000 miles and it runs dry do they replace everything cause its destroyed ??
Moose aka Glenn-

Nastytls

Not likely. They'll probably say I caused the damage. I don't blame the dealer for that stupid idea, I blame the factory for telling them to do it!

moose

get it all in writing or it does not exist
Moose aka Glenn-

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hd06

I was told the same thing my dealer told me I was the only one having this problem and not to believe what I read on the internet.

bxbutch

i got a instruction sheet from dealer friend For Transmission oil deflector kit  # 36300028

IronButt70

Quote from: hd06 on June 28, 2018, 05:31:32 PM
I was told the same thing my dealer told me I was the only one having this problem and not to believe what I read on the internet.
Giving that dealer a link to this tread might give him an attitude adjustment.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

moose

Quote from: bxbutch on June 29, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
i got a instruction sheet from dealer friend For Transmission oil deflector kit  # 36300028

FSG  you have a copy of that in your bag of magic tricks
Moose aka Glenn-

FSG

I do believe HD is removing some of their Instruction Sheets re this oil transfer problem.

https://i.imgur.com/i4Un2Qi.png

https://i.imgur.com/FaS22p5.png

moose

Moose aka Glenn-

47FL80

When I found out about this issue, I notified all of my friends and customers with the M8 motorcycles and hydraulic clutch.  Each has had the problem.  Latest is a friend who is on the road.  Stopped at a Harley dealer in Montana and was told they knew nothing about the issue.  I sent him the link and a copy of the pdf instruction sheet.  He went back and then they knew about it.  They contacted the Motor Company and started the process by building a case file, draining his fluids and starting over, giving him guidance to stop at any Harley shop along the way after he gets 1,000 miles on the fluid change, and reference his case file so they can check the amount of fluid transfer in 1,000 miles.  His bike had 32 ounces of transmission fluid 5,000 miles ago and had 20 ounces when he went in to the Harley shop to have them check it.  It seems to me a 12 ounce transfer from the transmission to the primary in 5,000 miles is significant.  He said after they changed the fluids and the correct amounts were put into the transmission and the primary, again, the bike runs better.  The extra drag on the clutch is causing problems, I believe.

98fxstc

Here is a post from an Aussie site

"This week on Facebook, a guy from Oregon has posted a story and a couple of photos.

A local rider with a 2018 Street Glide was having huge oil loss from his gearbox, it was all pouring into the primary. The local dealership contacted H-D. They sent out a rep from Milwaukee, who rode the bike for around 130km and recorded an 8 fluid oz transfer from transmission to primary.

The rep instructed the dealership workshop to do this primary-venting modification. They drilled into the primary casing. Attached a hose fitting at the top of the primary case. Run the tube down under the bike.

Dealership: ''This will eliminate the suctioning effect that is pulling the oil from the transmission into the primary. Something similar will be incorporated in the 2019 models coming out''

We shall see. This is what it looks like. "

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

1FSTRK

Given there is no way for the primary to generate vacuum, the engine must be sucking in past the sprocket shaft seal. I do not think I would want an open hose as an air inlet to the primary or the flywheel compartment. A vent on anything should let air out but not suck anything in. Just another patch to try and stop the transfer instead of fixing the design flaw.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

July 04, 2018, 07:27:02 AM #1013 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:29:16 AM by rbabos
Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 04, 2018, 05:20:42 AM
Given there is no way for the primary to generate vacuum, the engine must be sucking in past the sprocket shaft seal. I do not think I would want an open hose as an air inlet to the primary or the flywheel compartment. A vent on anything should let air out but not suck anything in. Just another patch to try and stop the transfer instead of fixing the design flaw.
Agree and if it was a seal issue at the crank, that would be a simple fix, done long ago. Adding a vent to the primary without sealing the pushrod will not solve anything but it's one step in a two step cure. Most likely with the primary having more free air space as in not trying to vent expanded air to the trans, the leakage will increase. Far as I'm concerned the whole thing is a chit show but people keep lining up for them.

Ron

hogpipes1

This got me thinking about my 1980 FLT i bought from a H-D engineer in 81 . Willey G 's buddy .Willey told me it was the best FLT that came out of the plant. Lot's of 81 updates had been put on the bike.. One of the items was  a primary breather  to the inner case with a  (auto)pcv valve  on the end of the hose.. He never gave me a real good  answer as to why.
They had issues with a dry chain , mine had a 79 oil pump with a better  frt chain oiler. Did the job on the chain but always had a bit much oil which caused the dry  clutch plates to gum up. Had to pull and clean every summer. PCV may  have been there  to vent and  try and keep the fan effect of two much oil blowing on the plates.  And it was a good bike  for 17 yrs  and lots of major trips and miles. Different issue today with the M-8 but a vented pri might have some pos -effect. That for sure should have been fixed a yr ago.

04 SE Deuce

Like I said close to a 1000 posts back...the Harley bunch is just show'n off their engineering prowess.

At least the posts claiming it only happens to a very small percent have stopped.

Rusty Steel

This is scary...I just thought that Harley was just trying to save some money by not filling to the top; hey, save 4-5 oz per bike @several million bikes? that is a lot of cash! Anyway, bad theory.

@ 800+ I can barely see the trans oil on dip stick. :dgust:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

les

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 04, 2018, 05:20:42 AM

If the open non-filtered vent tube is going to be the fix, I can see someone riding for hours on dirt/dusty roads (done some of this out west) and the tube sucking that pulverized stone into the primary area.  I don't think internal engine components and stone agree with each other too well.

Rusty Steel

:agree:
I'm hoping that I over reacted about my dip stick measurement. I'll assume it is 3-4 oz from the full to the add mark. Over 30 years on 4 Harley's, I have never added any gear oil to any trans before, only changed it. So, next week I'll drain, measure, replace and hope for the best.
Good luck to all involved.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

$tonecold

My "Fix" is still working. I have about twenty kits out now.

If they are adding an O-ring to the pushrod and then venting the primary this new fix that the MOCO is doing will work. I had considered that before I went with the nut and seal solution.

Nastytls

As little faith I have in the factory, seeing that they haven't fixed this in nearly two years; I find it exceptionally difficult to believe the factory told the dealer to drill a hole in the primary and vent it to the ground.

Hossamania

Is that vent tube pushing air out, or sucking air in?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on July 06, 2018, 07:00:05 AM
Both. Exhales as the primary heats up and sucks in on cool down. Real slow motion of air movement both ways. Pretty much static once hot and once cold.
Ron

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on July 06, 2018, 08:25:10 AM
Both. Exhales as the primary heats up and sucks in on cool down. Real slow motion of air movement both ways. Pretty much static once hot and once cold.
Ron

Having it suck air in without a filter would make me nervous.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on July 06, 2018, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: rbabos on July 06, 2018, 08:25:10 AM
Ron

Having it suck air in without a filter would make me nervous.
You worry too much. Peanuts compared to metal and clutch fiber in the oil already.
Ron