April 26, 2024, 10:45:13 PM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Keep in mind you 1% comes out to 2,500 motorcycles, not a huge amount, but plenty, I would hate to be one of the 1% with a $30K motorcycle that I can not ride across the state. I can not help but think it is more than 1% or HD would not even bother look at it.

I am still betting the problem will be corrected in the 2019 bikes and the '17-'18 M8's will get ignored.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

happyman

Quote from: hd06myway on August 10, 2018, 01:13:36 PM
are these issues with the M8 real, and other ones the TC's experienced? Yes, to the people who have had them, is it 3 out of 4 owners?  No it's less than 1% of 250k bikes that are sold a year... the problem is the issues get distorted because 12 people on the internet talk about them all day long while the rest of us ride issue free for most or all of our bikes life... to this day I've never talked to anyone who had a tensioner problem with the old initial design not saying those who have are making this sh*t up but in terms of on the street... it's a non issue... if 12 people have a problem and talk about it daily on a website, it doesn't make it a crisis...

where did you get your numbers. curious  why  your seem to be mocking those hundreds upon hundreds of people who have had issues not only with the m8 but the many other issues that are well know.  for many years.   

FSG

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 09, 2018, 07:18:13 PM
Quote from: ckwizard on August 09, 2018, 03:55:10 PM
i just don't see why I should care if a little oil transfer is goin on.
I have never heard of a trans or primary blowing up from the oils co-mingling together nor has it happened to anyone that I ride with.
Been riding these beasts for over 40 years and average 10-15k a year so i'm no newby but if ya'll want to throw good money at this be my guest.
Be safe

[attach=0]

That doesn't look like sand to me .......  Preacher where are you ? ?       :hyst:

packrat56

I did not notice that the first time, your right.
But I'm no expert.
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

Jobie

What makes a crisis is that Harley WILL NOT do anything for the 2,500 / 1% of the  folks that slapped down 30K plus to buy their product.  That makes it a CRISIS for them.  Thanks for ALL your support my motorcycle brother!  Would you like to take this 2018 Road King off my hands?  These forums are the only place that this type of info gets out there.  The great Mo. Co. won't tell the public about it.  I know, Fake News!

happyman

Quote from: Jobie on August 11, 2018, 04:53:00 AM
What makes a crisis is that Harley WILL NOT do anything for the 2,500 / 1% of the  folks that slapped down 30K plus to buy their product.  That makes it a CRISIS for them.  Thanks for ALL your support my motorcycle brother!  Would you like to take this 2018 Road King off my hands?  These forums are the only place that this type of info gets out there.  The great Mo. Co. won't tell the public about it.  I know, Fake News!

What is truly amazing  is the laws of lack there of they get away with picking your pocket  and have for many years. You have the wonder bout  the % of of these bikes that do have issue. Got to be realistic  and have to say it a much larger number than some want you to believe. Then if you can find  the real numbers it would shock some of these nay sayers  many have had multiple motor issues  with complete motors. Then the migration issues and that is just part of it. Yes the problems if we pay attention just a little and have no reason to  live in denial would  be a much higher %  if you or when many get new motors and other parts and the same thing happens in the 17 and 18 model years there is some dishonesty  goin on.

kd

What the percentage it is is irrelevant.  The testimonies we have here from known individuals that declare the MOCO denial when we all (or many of us) have seen the initial service bulletin that has now mysteriously vanished, is enough for me. These "new motorcycle" owners are not being satisfied within the warranty period. Some have lost riding time with the bike sitting at the dealer waiting for service / repair. This compounds the problem by burning up the best riding time as well as their warranty period.
KD

Reddog74usa

You have to question the logic of the moco doing this. They are in fact losing a large amount of new bike sales because of all the issues with these 17's and 18's as many are waiting for them to get this situation remedied. The longer they take to get it right the fewer units they will move and even worse is the continuous amount of damage being done to the brand as this plays out. Don't know what's going on but my local dealer is running his dealership so thin that there are very few bikes on the floor with oil filters and clothes being all they stock. Lately I have gone in for common service type parts like a crank sensor and a seat nut kit and they tell me they have to order it. I just tell em I can order it also. I have to say the seat screw kit was the straw that broke the camel's back. To me they don't exist and I now order whatever I need from whoever supports me and appreciates my business. I was told by an employee they have bikes sitting in the repair shop all apart waiting for parts just sitting there during peak riding season due to parts not being stocked. There also having a hard time retaining good techs as they can't make any money if they can't get the bikes out. I guess somebody went to college to get that smart Ehhh!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

happyman

Quote from: kd on August 11, 2018, 10:00:07 AM
What the percentage it is is irrelevant.  The testimonies we have here from known individuals that declare the MOCO denial when we all (or many of us) have seen the initial service bulletin that has now mysteriously vanished, is enough for me. These "new motorcycle" owners are not being satisfied within the warranty period. Some have lost riding time with the bike sitting at the dealer waiting for service / repair. This compounds the problem by burning up the best riding time as well as their warranty period.
some people  try to confuse the issues with  a 1% BS figure from how i take it.  its only the amount of people ?  then you need to multiply this several times in far too many instance, brcause of a lack of a fix just the same ole .  so then the  % goes very high. then  leave the bikes in the shop  for weeks upon weeks and  you get the same parts  again so its pete and repeat  .   people finance the bikes  often , plan vacations and get stalled out on the road causing all kinds of  issues on top of the  failed product.how much of this can people tolerate  you have to wonder.   read where people are mocking  12 peoplewho are on the internet tellinngitlike it is and seems to upset some  for exposing the truth    . pretty shameful , and then they think people should carer if they been riding for the HD braand for 40 yeras plus and had up to 50 plus bikes . makes no differance any of the big headed razzle.  there are thousands of us out here who have been riding hd andmany other brands for 60 years  and who cares.  the issue is  the product that is very costly and has issues that from what we can see there is yet to be a fix for the late models  , nothing else matters at all.  would rather stay on topic innstead of  seing  a mockery of those who shave serious issues  with the product.

1FSTRK

The things that define the fact there is a problem and it's size are the actions of the MoCo.

They do not issue bulletins on nonexistent problems.

They do not send factory reps out to dealerships to perform or monitor tests on nonexistent problems

They do not issue newly designed additional seals for nonexistent problems

They do not invent primary vent kits for nonexistent problems

What they have done in the past and still are doing here is deny, deny, deny. Then stall while they come up with any type of patch to buy time so they can find the cheapest solution not to the problem but to the outrage that the problem is causing.  As a last resort they will spend time and money on an actual cure but only if it can be sold as an upgrade and then quietly phased into production as part of never ending product improvement down the road.

If it was as limited as some here want us to believe it never would have gotten out of the denial stage.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Reddog74usa

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 11, 2018, 05:12:53 PM
The things that define the fact there is a problem and it's size are the actions of the MoCo.

They do not send factory reps out to dealerships to perform or monitor tests on nonexistent problems

What they have done in the past and still are doing here is deny, deny, deny. Then stall while they come up with any type of patch to buy time so they can find the cheapest solution not to the problem but to the outrage that the problem is causing.  As a last resort they will spend time and money on an actual cure but only if it can be sold as an upgrade and then quietly phased into production as part of never ending product improvement down the road.

If it was as limited as some here want us to believe it never would have gotten out of the denial stage.

:up: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

happyman

August 11, 2018, 07:05:34 PM #1111 Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:46:29 AM by FSG
Quote from: Reddog74usa on August 11, 2018, 06:25:42 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 11, 2018, 05:12:53 PM

:up: :up:

very straight forward and to the point.  No  BS just honesty   

Thanks 

FSG

Jobie

I think I see whats going on with the oil transfer issue.  A friend and I took off the tranny cover on a 2018 with this issue.  What we saw was a huge size hole in the output shaft for the pushrod to go through.  Don't see how tranny oil couldn't transfer.  On others that I have taken apart the output shaft hole was a few thousands [ 10K's or less, guessing ] bigger then the pushrod.  On this output shaft the hole was about 1/4 bigger then the pushrod. With some bikes doing it and some don't, I would think HD has more then one suppler for this part and this issue was not caught in the QC Dept.. The fix for this issue from HD is a sleeve type button that just pushes into the end of the output shaft to take up space, simple fix.  I'm going through the 5K mile oil check now with my dealer.  HD will not send the fix to the dealers or sell it to the customers until this check is done.  My god man, it's a 6 dollar gasket and a 2 dollar sleeve type button.  HD needs to send the fix to the dealers or sell it over the counters to the customer so they can get on with their life and stop hating the MoCo.  If HD sold motorcycles instead of images this fix would be #1 on the menu.  Maybe next time I will buy just the shirt and F_ _ _ K the bike!   

IronButt70

Quote from: Jobie on August 13, 2018, 06:07:50 AM
My god man, it's a 6 dollar gasket and a 2 dollar sleeve type button.  HD needs to send the fix to the dealers or sell it over the counters to the customer so they can get on with their life and stop hating the MoCo.  If HD sold motorcycles instead of images this fix would be #1 on the menu.  Maybe next time I will buy just the shirt and F_ _ _ K the bike!
BINGO!!  We have a winner.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Scooterfish

It`s $8 in parts. What is the warranty labor time to do the repair? I`m guessing it`s the total cost to repair under warranty is the reason they are not doing a recall. As soon as someone takes a 19 a part to check for any  changes we will know more about what is going on behind closed doors at MoCo.
Northern Indiana

Jobie

AMI mag has an article on this in issue 366 [ latest issue ] in the Hog Helpline section.  I just now opened the mag and found it.  Best mag out there!

rbabos

Quote from: Jobie on August 13, 2018, 06:37:16 AM
AMI mag has an article on this in issue 366 [ latest issue ] in the Hog Helpline section.  I just now opened the mag and found it.  Best mag out there!
According to some, the issue only exists here on this forum. AMI mag must be fake news. :wink:
Ron

Hunter14

Motorcycle Consumers News made mention about the problem...
Also i had the 8 dollar fix done .....Did not work...2017 M8...
If you don't wave to them, They wont wave back to you...

ekb55

AMI?

Hossamania

Quote from: ekb55 on August 13, 2018, 07:09:14 AM

AMI?

AIM. American Iron Magazine
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on August 13, 2018, 07:11:38 AM
Quote from: ekb55 on August 13, 2018, 07:09:14 AM

AMI?

AIM. American Iron Magazine

They probably got that inquiry at least six months ago, but print magazine being what it is, finally got around to publishing it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jobie

One other think I had notice is that the tranny vent on the top cover is smaller than the one I had on my 07 Ultra.  The vent hose on the 07 look to be 3/16 [ gas line size ]  on the 18 it looks more like the size of vacuum line hose which has a much smaller ID.  Don't know if that could be an issue also, just saying.  AMI called the part a slinger assembly and the tech sheet I have from HD is called an Transmission oil defector kit.  Maybe HD came up with something different for the fix because their first attempt didn't work.  Time will tell.

For the folks that don't know....... AIM is American Iron Mag.

rbabos

Quote from: Jobie on August 13, 2018, 08:06:07 AM
One other think I had notice is that the tranny vent on the top cover is smaller than the one I had on my 07 Ultra.  The vent hose on the 07 look to be 3/16 [ gas line size ]  on the 18 it looks more like the size of vacuum line hose which has a much smaller ID.  Don't know if that could be an issue also, just saying.  AMI called the part a slinger assembly and the tech sheet I have from HD is called an Transmission oil defector kit.  Maybe HD came up with something different for the fix because their first attempt didn't work.  Time will tell.

For the folks that don't know....... AIM is American Iron Mag.
All you really need for a vent is a pin hole to do the job. The air exchange is really slow and low key.
Ron