April 27, 2024, 02:16:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: $tonecold on August 26, 2018, 10:10:38 PM
I have bought an M8 actuator, no problem. I have another one on its way. I don't know why they wouldn't sell you one unless you told them what you were going to do with it. The '15 master cylinder and the M8 actuator don't work well together. I actually put it on my '15 RGS and the pull was pretty tough. I had to switch to the M8 master cylinder and hydraulic line. The '15 hydraulic line has a different fitting on the actuator end. Had to change it when I changed the actuator. It was a pretty expensive swap, not sure it was worth it.

Hi John,

That item can only be ordered through a dealership who has the bike in for service.

Anthony Wilson | (866)405-1164
BoardtrackerHarleyOnline.com | Return Policy
On 9/5/2016 8:37 PM, noreply@storesonlinepro.com wrote:
Date:    Mon 5 Sep 2016 8:37:51 PM CDT

Email Address: rock-out@att.net

They eventually sold to the public.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

twincamzz

I tried to buy an actuator from several of the online dealers and was refused as well. Local dealers were no help either.
not all who wander are lost...

DaddyKnuck

CLUTCH ACTUATOR,SECONDARY   37200131A   

If this is the part we're talking about, i bought one July 27th from Boardtracker. 

Rockout Rocker Products

You can buy them now, but not when they first came out.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

1FSTRK

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 27, 2018, 04:48:00 AM
Quote from: $tonecold on August 26, 2018, 10:10:38 PM
I have bought an M8 actuator, no problem. I have another one on its way. I don't know why they wouldn't sell you one unless you told them what you were going to do with it. The '15 master cylinder and the M8 actuator don't work well together. I actually put it on my '15 RGS and the pull was pretty tough. I had to switch to the M8 master cylinder and hydraulic line. The '15 hydraulic line has a different fitting on the actuator end. Had to change it when I changed the actuator. It was a pretty expensive swap, not sure it was worth it.

Hi John,

That item can only be ordered through a dealership who has the bike in for service.

Anthony Wilson | (866)405-1164
BoardtrackerHarleyOnline.com | Return Policy
On 9/5/2016 8:37 PM, noreply@storesonlinepro.com wrote:
Date:    Mon 5 Sep 2016 8:37:51 PM CDT

Email Address: rock-out@att.net

They eventually sold to the public.

This was early on and probably because JIT manufacturing required all units delivered to the production line unless for warranty work. Very common on new models and parts.
Also with them now replacing the -a with the -b they have been doing something in that area.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

DTTJGlide

So has anyone tried the 37200131B actuator to see if that fixes the transfer problem?

yobtaf103

Quote from: DTTJGlide on August 28, 2018, 09:19:15 PM
So has anyone tried the 37200131B actuator to see if that fixes the transfer problem?

Maybe just a fix for the late engagement the lever ?

Karl H.

Quote from: yobtaf103 on August 28, 2018, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: DTTJGlide on August 28, 2018, 09:19:15 PM

Maybe just a fix for the late engagement the lever ?

That's what I think too!

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

$tonecold

The actuator I had on order turned out to be the B actuator. I can see no external difference between it and the A actuator. The difference must be internal and related to clutch action. There is nothing that would make any difference in the transfer department.

50Panhead

When someone installs the B actuator" and puts 5000 miles on the bike and does the oil change record the volumes and let me know. Until then. :pop:
What Do You Care What Other People Think

Karl H.

Quote from: $tonecold on August 29, 2018, 04:35:03 AM
The actuator I had on order turned out to be the B actuator. I can see no external difference between it and the A actuator. The difference must be internal and related to clutch action. There is nothing that would make any difference in the transfer department.

Thanks!  :up:
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

lonegoosehonking

September 19, 2018, 03:37:54 AM #1161 Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:48:32 AM by lonegoosehonking
See Below.

lonegoosehonking

September 19, 2018, 03:39:47 AM #1162 Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:49:52 AM by lonegoosehonking
Just saw this on facebook. Anyone try it , think it has merit?

Harley Clutch push rod to stop fluid transfer.

$50

Macomb, MI

Your transmission fluid to primary transfer worries are over! I have push rods available for the clutch to take care of the problem. After extensive testing , research and development this is the cure for the problem. This replaces the Harley clutch push rod part number 37000218 . This is the part that changed to allow the fluid to transfer. This push rod will install in 5 minutes. A total of 15 with correcting the fluids. You can order them now. I do accept PayPal. My PayPal is..
macombcountychoppers@gmail.com
They are $49.99 and $17.50 shipping to the lower 48.

All of the bikes are affected from 2014 and up with hydraulic clutch . This includes twin cams and Milwaukee 8s

Testing revealed that more City ridden motorcycles are susceptible to extensive transfer due to more turning involved.

Harley Davidson has no clue how to fix the problem. they pulled the TSB that was out. Most dealers are told to say they don't know anything about this issue. We all know it exists.

Just saying...Read Below

From Ian Macdonald
Trans fluid transfer update.

If this subject irritates you, keep scrolling.

Some of you may recall my bike was having the issue looked at by my local dealer. Long story short, it went in 3 times for 3 different attempts with ZERO success. As a matter of fact the problem got worse.
Greg Williams sent one of his first prototype pushrods to try out. I had to wait for quite a while while HD dicked me around with their futile attempts and had me sealed out of my tranny and primary so I could not tamper with fluid levels. Anyway, got the part installed a few days ago and am happy to report that after close to 1000km / 600 miles I have ZERO TRANSFER. in the past it was loosing anywhere from 12-16 oz within 500 km. I checked, measured at 500 then put on another 500 and measured again. Trans is staying right where it should be and bike is shifting smooth and running great. If anyone is on the fence about trying this fix because you are worried about your warranty, I recommend just doing it. If your concerned about what dealer says, DONT TELL THEM ! It's an easy 5 minute install and honestly with a T27 torx bit and a pair of snap ring pliers in your bag you could change it back to stock in minutes if you had to before the dealers went to work on it. I have been working with my dealer for 7 months and 30000 km trying to get this rectified and was at the end of my rope ready to get rid of the bike. Greg's piece works. Period. Will it work for every bike affected? Tough to say but what do you have to loose? Drop the $67 and put it in. I'm more than confident you won't be sorry. My hat is off to Greg and his crew at Macomb County Choppers for not only designing, and manufacturing the fix for this common problem but also his selfless attitude in helping out fellow bikers to make their machine right. Even north of the border in BC Canada 🇨🇦. Thanks again Brother

IronButt70

Know its probably not worth the hassle but applying for a patent would keep the MoCo from taking the design and calling it their own.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

ekb55

September 19, 2018, 07:47:11 AM #1164 Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:22:29 AM by ekb55
The utilization of the thicker clutch rod that stops the transfer means one of two things to me.  Either the HD pushrods were the victim of poor quality control and some were machined thinner than others allowing the transfer OR the transmission shaft passage that the pushrod passes through was the victim of poor quality control and were made too large allowing the transfer. I say quality control issue due to some having it and some not.

I had a 2017 Street Glide that was built December of 16 and transferred big time.  I now have a 2018 Street Glide build date of December 17, no issues.

For the record, the 107 M8 engine itself in each bike was trouble-free.

Just my 2c worth

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2018, 07:20:28 AM
Know its probably not worth the hassle but applying for a patent would keep the MoCo from taking the design and calling it their own.
:hyst: Yes, you keep believing that.
Ron

IronButt70

Quote from: rbabos on September 19, 2018, 09:00:03 AM
Ron
I do know a very good patent attorney.  :bike:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2018, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: rbabos on September 19, 2018, 09:00:03 AM
Ron
I do know a very good patent attorney.  :bike:
So did we. Point is by the time you pay for all the "Potty mouth" and how many one can actually sell, the process isn't worth it. Sell as many as you can and as fast as possible is the better option. Then there won't be need of a wheel barrow full of money to defend. Remember, HD has a room full of attorneys foaming at the mouth, waiting for something to do.
Ron

hdrider

Quote from: lonegoosehonking on September 19, 2018, 03:39:47 AM

$50

Macomb, MI

Your transmission fluid to primary transfer worries are over! I have push rods available for the clutch to take care of the problem. After extensive testing , research and development this is the cure for the problem. This replaces the Harley clutch push rod part number 37000218 . This is the part that changed to allow the fluid to transfer. This push rod will install in 5 minutes. A total of 15 with correcting the fluids. You can order them now. I do accept PayPal. My PayPal is..

All of the bikes are affected from 2014 and up with hydraulic clutch . This includes twin cams and Milwaukee 8s

Testing revealed that more City ridden motorcycles are susceptible to extensive transfer due to more turning involved.

Harley Davidson has no clue how to fix the problem. they pulled the TSB that was out. Most dealers are told to say they don't know anything about this issue. We all know it exists.

Just saying...Read Below

From Ian Macdonald

Some of you may recall my bike was having the issue looked at by my local dealer. Long story short, it went in 3 times for 3 different attempts with ZERO success. As a matter of fact the problem got worse.
Greg Williams sent one of his first prototype pushrods to try out. I had to wait for quite a while while HD dicked me around with their futile attempts and had me sealed out of my tranny and primary so I could not tamper with fluid levels. Anyway, got the part installed a few days ago and am happy to report that after close to 1000km / 600 miles I have ZERO TRANSFER. in the past it was loosing anywhere from 12-16 oz within 500 km. I checked, measured at 500 then put on another 500 and measured again. Trans is staying right where it should be and bike is shifting smooth and running great. If anyone is on the fence about trying this fix because you are worried about your warranty, I recommend just doing it. If your concerned about what dealer says, DONT TELL THEM ! It's an easy 5 minute install and honestly with a T27 torx bit and a pair of snap ring pliers in your bag you could change it back to stock in minutes if you had to before the dealers went to work on it. I have been working with my dealer for 7 months and 30000 km trying to get this rectified and was at the end of my rope ready to get rid of the bike. Greg's piece works. Period. Will it work for every bike affected? Tough to say but what do you have to loose? Drop the $67 and put it in. I'm more than confident you won't be sorry. My hat is off to Greg and his crew at Macomb County Choppers for not only designing, and manufacturing the fix for this common problem but also his selfless attitude in helping out fellow bikers to make their machine right. Even north of the border in BC Canada 🇨🇦. Thanks again Brother

Sounds like the typical Facebook Scam -- if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true.  Also, I'd like to see someone change a clutch push rod in 5 minutes --- it'll take longer than that to get the exhaust and other crap out of the way of the clutch cover.  I'd say an hour minimum.

1FSTRK

Quote from: hdrider on September 19, 2018, 10:37:11 AM

Sounds like the typical Facebook Scam -- if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true.  Also, I'd like to see someone change a clutch push rod in 5 minutes --- it'll take longer than that to get the exhaust and other crap out of the way of the clutch cover.  I'd say an hour minimum.

Pull the derby cover, pull the pressure plate snap ring, remove the pushrod and replace.

DTTJGlide

I find it hard to trust a good samaritan that charges $17.50 to mail out his wonderful fix, when it could be thrown in a mailing tube & sent for less than half that amount. I'm lucky that mine has only transferred about 5-6 oz in 38K, I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

$tonecold

Quote from: lonegoosehonking on September 19, 2018, 03:39:47 AM

$50

Macomb, MI

Just saying...Read Below

From Ian Macdonald

Yes it has merit. It is doing pretty much what the '14 three piece hydraulic pushrod does, increases the size of the pushrod. The '14 three piece hydraulic pushrod has been used with success in Germany, the German Harley riders were the first to try it, and by a couple riders at least that I am aware of in the US. The German riders have reported that there have been cases where it did not solve the transfer problem though. There have been two or three failures in about ten to twelve installations of the three piece pushrod in Germany. For what its worth the part numbers are 37000112, 37000113, & 37092-06 and combined they cost less than $30 from boardtracker. The installation does require a little more than the Williams pushrod as you will need to pull the actuator to install the piece on that side.

lonegoosehonking

Agree on the shipping. Puzzles me why people do that as it can have impact on sales. He had a video that shows his product vs. the stock clutch rod. He wiggles the stock one and it is sloppy as all hell. His is a better fit as well as he says he has a .040" flat the full length of the clutch pushrod. Now I know from reading people are saying it is either a vacuum issue , or an issue of oil being pumped by clutch actuator. Could the flat provide equalization of pressure between the primary and clutch cavities ?  Surely that wouldn't aid in the argument that the larger diameter pushrod would inhibit oil flow from the trans to the primary. Could it mean that indeed there is a pressure difference that causes oil to be wicked to the primary ? I viewed pictures of Stone Colds set up and it definitely addresses the issue. Just curious if this guys rod is fact or fiction.

1FSTRK

It does address this from the aspect of finding what Harley changed to cause the problem and change that thing back rather than further complicating things and adding more unknowns.

motorhogman

Quote from: DTTJGlide on September 19, 2018, 11:11:23 AM
I find it hard to trust a good samaritan that charges $17.50 to mail out his wonderful fix, when it could be thrown in a mailing tube & sent for less than half that amount. I'm lucky that mine has only transferred about 5-6 oz in 38K, I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

:agree:

That's for sure.. There is great profits in shipping these days for some.  I ordered a needle and seat from Briggs & Stratton for my string mower.. Parts were about $4.00, shipping was almost $7.00   Those two little pieces don't even weigh an oz. They came in a little bubble envelope and the postage wasn't on it..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor