April 27, 2024, 01:13:23 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$tonecold

Quote from: motorhogman on September 20, 2018, 08:17:44 AM
Quote from: DTTJGlide on September 19, 2018, 11:11:23 AM
I find it hard to trust a good samaritan that charges $17.50 to mail out his wonderful fix, when it could be thrown in a mailing tube & sent for less than half that amount. I'm lucky that mine has only transferred about 5-6 oz in 38K, I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

:agree:

That's for sure.. There is great profits in shipping these days for some.  I ordered a needle and seat from Briggs & Stratton for my string mower.. Parts were about $4.00, shipping was almost $7.00   Those two little pieces don't even weigh an oz. They came in a little bubble envelope and the postage wasn't on it..

Yeah he screwed up! Should have just set the price at $69.99 with free shipping and handling. Then everybody would be going on about what a great guy for shipping it free!

motorhogman

Quote from: $tonecold on September 20, 2018, 08:30:58 AM
I find it hard to trust a good samaritan that charges $17.50 to mail out his wonderful fix, when it could be thrown in a mailing tube & sent for less than half that amount. I'm lucky that mine has only transferred about 5-6 oz in 38K, I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig.

That's for sure.. There is great profits in shipping these days for some.  I ordered a needle and seat from Briggs & Stratton for my string mower.. Parts were about $4.00, shipping was almost $7.00   Those two little pieces don't even weigh an oz. They came in a little bubble envelope and the postage wasn't on it..

Yeah he screwed up! Should have just set the price at $69.99 with free shipping and handling. Then everybody would be going on about what a great guy for shipping it free!

If this fix actually works and he is the one and only producer and seller of it You are absolutely right..

My point about shipping being profitable is easy to find all over the internet.

I bought a muffler for my Ford recently on line. Major suppliers had shipping charges all over the place. I did find it on Amazon with free shipping after much snooping around and for a price better than Rock Auto and anybody on ebay..

OK  we are off topic.

I hope this fix does work.. Just seems so stooopid the MOCO could not have seen this coming with all their "testing"  they do on new stuff.. LOL   Ya right.. I'm sure by 2020 they will have it all worked out.   
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

rbabos

Quote from: motorhogman on September 21, 2018, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: $tonecold on September 20, 2018, 08:30:58 AM

If this fix actually works and he is the one and only producer and seller of it You are absolutely right..

My point about shipping being profitable is easy to find all over the internet.

I bought a muffler for my Ford recently on line. Major suppliers had shipping charges all over the place. I did find it on Amazon with free shipping after much snooping around and for a price better than Rock Auto and anybody on ebay..

OK  we are off topic.

I hope this fix does work.. Just seems so stooopid the MOCO could not have seen this coming with all their "testing"  they do on new stuff.. LOL   Ya right.. I'm sure by 2020 they will have it all worked out.   
Seems two years to debug a new design isn't enough any more? Really sad.
Ron

Will-Run

Relax Guys. They have only been doing this :turd: for 115 years. They'll get it right sooner or later.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

IronButt70

Does anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the service bulletin HD put out for this issue and then pulled it?
TIA
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on October 12, 2018, 02:49:30 PM
Does anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the service bulletin HD put out for this issue and then pulled it?
TIA
FSG posted it once, a while back. I'm sure he still has a copy of it. The HD bulletin came and went real fast.
Ron

Coyote

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: rbabos on September 19, 2018, 09:00:03 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2018, 07:20:28 AM
Know its probably not worth the hassle but applying for a patent would keep the MoCo from taking the design and calling it their own.
:hyst: Yes, you keep believing that.
Ron

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

HD/Wrench

had a bike with that NEW larger rod that will stop it . well not sure about on the street but 3500 RPM 3750 on the drum well you know .  All the guy paid me to do was run in specific RPM ranges and that was it  not sure what he was up to etc  but he has tried all of the items from what I gathered to stop the transfer .

$tonecold

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on October 15, 2018, 06:11:17 AM
Quote from: rbabos on September 19, 2018, 09:00:03 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2018, 07:20:28 AM
Know its probably not worth the hassle but applying for a patent would keep the MoCo from taking the design and calling it their own.
:hyst: Yes, you keep believing that.
Ron

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I doubt that a patent if it is possible would keep the MOCO from copying this pushrod. He basically took their pushrod and made it slightly bigger in diameter. This is the same premise that makes the 2014 three piece hydraulic pushrod a remedy for transfer. What he did was make it one piece and bigger for the whole length. It is also easier to install since it can be inserted from the clutch / primary side. Even if he had a patent all the MOCO or anyone would have to do is alter it a little, say make it bigger on the actuator end and then smaller the rest of the length.

I just installed the three piece 2014 hydraulic pushrod in my 2015 RGS that has a DD7 Baker transmission and was transferring. I also altered the inner side cover to allow the oil that is being pushed through the mainshaft bearing a larger pathway to drain back to the transmission.[attach=0]

stro1965

I installed my Facebook guy clutch push rod today. I should know sometime in the spring if it helps!

Mark P

Our new side covers are ready. $525 for the kit includes clutch push rods, throwout bearing, release plate, adjuster and fittings for the hydraulic line.

https://bakerdrivetrain.com/collections/2018-factory-compatible-products/products/hydraulic-side-cover?variant=21168926097486

Don't forget your HTT discount.

Mark

Buglet

Is this going to take care of trans fluid leaking into the primary.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Mark P on December 13, 2018, 05:57:13 AM
Our new side covers are ready. $525 for the kit includes clutch push rods, throwout bearing, release plate, adjuster and fittings for the hydraulic line.

https://bakerdrivetrain.com/collections/2018-factory-compatible-products/products/hydraulic-side-cover?variant=21168926097486

Mark
:up: that's why I love this place, good deal Mark !
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Mark P

Quote from: BUGLET on December 13, 2018, 06:16:14 AM

That's the plan.

08flstf

Quote from: stro1965 on November 21, 2018, 05:20:56 PM
I installed my Facebook guy clutch push rod today. I should know sometime in the spring if it helps!

Do you have a link for the fb clutch pushrod guy?

hogsty

Quote from: Mark P on December 13, 2018, 05:57:13 AM

Mark

I'm confused.  Does this cover have an integrated slave cylinder?

Nastytls

Quote from: Mark P on December 13, 2018, 06:36:23 AM

That's the plan.

And if it doesn't? Don't really want to light $500 on fire....

rbabos

That's the plan.
plan = 50/50 to me. A better word might be in order.  :wink:
Ron

Nastytls

Quote from: rbabos on December 13, 2018, 04:03:16 PM

That's the plan.
plan = 50/50 to me. A better word might be in order.  :wink:
Ron

Right. That's a lot of dough if I'd doesn't do anything other than look different.

Mark P

Quote from: Nastytls on December 13, 2018, 03:30:40 PM

That's the plan.

And if it doesn't? Don't really want to light $500 on fire....
Like everything we make it has a warranty, if it doesn't do what's it's designed to do send it back.

Scottr

Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 20, 2017, 09:13:19 AM
Has anyone figured out what is different between these and the last twin cam parts?
The trans and primary have been connected in this fashion for a long time, the pressures should not have changed and with the trans having the vent I would think pressure from the primary would push fluid the other direction.

I would think it is a mechanical action sending fluid down the clutch rod and that comparing parts from the previous design would show what is causing it. Anyone have pictures of some actual pieces?

The size of the primary has changed. The space to build pressure has been decreased. Hence the new slimmer primary design jmo.

Scottr

Quote from: sneakypete on July 02, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
I had the opportunity to talk to one of the guys at my local HD shop yesterday and I asked him if he had heard anything about this situation he said he hadn't yet. I told him he probably would at some point.  On the other hand if he did know about it he wasn't saying...
I mentioned the clutch recall fix to my dealer and he said immediately after asking that this would not fix the migration issue.

Scottr

Quote from: rbabos on July 19, 2017, 05:51:37 AM
I find this all interesting. Discussions are great but seldom solve issues.  Me, I'd whip up a fitting for the primary some way and attach a vacuum gauge it to the primary and see if it pulls vacuum on hard decels or above 3500 rpms. Great test for any dyno tuners here. Should be done on a hot primay, where out venting will have already slowed from expansion.  It might also be possible to attach the gauge to the trans vent to see the same but this would be a much lower reading, I think since oil transfer within the main shaft would reduce the effect or slow it down so it could be seen. Primary would show it better. Testing will either rule it out or confirm a possible seal problem. It's entirely possible there are two issues in play here. An over abundance of oil around the main shaft hole for he pushrod and primary suction pulling gear oil from the box to the primary.
Ron
Not true at all ! These are brainstorming sessions mixed in with real world testing. Same thing that happens at the OEM. JMO