May 08, 2024, 09:21:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

XM not recognized (still)

Started by guydoc77, February 21, 2017, 06:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guydoc77

I had brought this up in August but rode the thing, then we had winter, now it's been spring like and I decided what the hell....

2008 Road Glide.
XM not being recognized by stock radio so not selectable in the menu as it doesn't come up on the menu.

Suggestions back then were to unplug and replug connectors for overlay harness and interconnect harnesses.
Check. No issues seen with either and didn't fix the problem.

Also Ultranutz suggested pulling maxi fuse and allowing the radio to "reset".
Check. Didn't fix the problem either.

So how does one troubleshoot this thing?
Coyote had mentioned that the XM module itself may have failed.

And for those who really want to know? I finally got around to it now because I finally got around to it now, :embarrassed: LOL. Putting that outer back on with the Hawgwired amp, etc is a royal pain in the arse. At any rate, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Coyote

February 21, 2017, 09:14:39 PM #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:24:54 PM by Coyote
Since it is plug and play, I think your module is no good. But if you want to trouble shoot it, we can. There is only a few wires. We can start with checking to make sure you have it plugged into the correct connector. The overlay harness has 3 IIRC. One for XM, one for CB and one for something else. I'd suggest you verify which connector you plugged it into. They are all the same but they will not work if the wrong one is chosen.

Here is the wires that go to the XM connector. Verify that each place has the wire shown.

[attach=0]

guydoc77

Yup, those are the correct wires. I should mention that the plug was never unplugged since the harness was installed in 2011. All worked well until late last summer.

I hesitate to spring 400-500 for a new module.
I found several on eBay for about half of that.
Question is, do these modules have a predictable length of life.
All the ones on eBay are from older bikes so it may be a crapshoot to put one in and have it fail in a year or two.

I had my module off tonight and in my hand. The connectors seem in good shape and no visible damage to the unit. It is completely sealed of course so who knows if something fried inside.

Coyote

Try this. Plug it into the CB connector and see if the radio sees it. It won't play/work but it should power up and communicate to the radio via CAN on that connector. If it does not see it, then I'd bet the module is the issue.

I had my XM module sine 2007 and Jim has it in use now. I really don't hear of many of them failing.

guydoc77

Well switching to the CB plug didn't change things.
Guess I'll spring for one of the ebay modules and see what happens.
Thanks Coyote.

guydoc77

No dice.
Module change did not fix it.
  :banged:

Coyote

Well it's either the harness or the radio. Do you have access to either one extra?

Have you uplugged and reseated the big connector on the back of the radio?

guydoc77

No extra harness or extra radio.
Other bike is a '15.

I will try unplugging the main plug at the radio.
I suppose it could be that.

Coyote

I may have another overlay harness and I do have several radios. Let me know and I will mail you one to try and figure it out.  :wink:

guydoc77

Well here is some closure for all of you who are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to find out if this problem was fixed. It turns out it was the radio itself. Swapped the radio out and XM works again. No problem with the wiring the harness or the module or the antenna. It was the radio. Thank you very much coyote for all your help on this.  :beer:

Hossamania

Stupid radio.
Congrats on getting your tunes up and going.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.