May 03, 2024, 12:12:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE Adjustable Ignition 32704-01 (timing help needed)

Started by mayor, April 22, 2009, 07:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

I'm pretty new to adjustable timing.  I'm not real sure how to look at a map and know what it all means, but I figured it's about time to learn.  The bike is a Dyna chassis so I decided to go with the SE adjustable ignition.  That ignition has four maps and each map can be advanced and retarded.  Here's the maps:

I'm running the second curve since it's listed as the most like the SE -5 module that seems to be working well on my other similar build bike. I wanted to better understand the differences between the curves and spark advance/retard so I made some tables on how I was interpreting how the advance and retard worked.   I left curve 2 as is with no advance, and retarded curve 1 to be close at WOT (-2) and advanced curve 3 to be close at WOT (+4).  I limited my charts to 6k since my rev limit was set at that. 

ok, here's the questions:

am I interpreting correctly how the advance/retard works?

how do I know when the idle timing is the best for the particular build?

how do I know when the decel timing is best for a particular build?

my -5 module bike runs about 15 degrees cooler when checked with an infrared temp gun compared to this bike after the exact same riding conditions.  the builds aren't the same, but very similar.  I'm assuming timing may be part of the reason for the temp differences since afr's are very similar.  So, does this mean this build is retarded too much in the cruise/medium throttle ranges?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Sonny S.

mayor

well Sonny, looks like not many carb folks around any more.   :emsad:  I think I'm on the right track, we'll see.

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

ViennaHog

I used that ignition on my 107 FXST. The ignition features  4 base curves that have different advance at WOT and different slopes.
If you advance or retard any of the base maps with the controller, you move the entire set of map controlled curves up or down. The slope of the curve however remains the same. If you play with the number a bit, you can see that the total advance at WOT between curve 2 and 3 can be made identical by advancing curve 3 by 5 degrees. So you will have the same total advance with different slopes and the more radical = steeper ones are designed for lighter bikes like yours. I doubt that the advance/retard of the base map changes cranking advance. You cannot influence the decel advance, it's fixed. I would start with curve 2 for a mild build in a Dyna and ad some timing until you begin to hear some ping on soft roll on from say 2000 rpm on. Then you have 2 options. Go to curve three and advance it to the total timing at WOT of you curve 2 and check if the milder slope does away with the roll on ping. Option two is to leave curve 2 in and take out 1 or 2 deg and see what it does. Trial; and error without a Dyno.

Sonny S.

>If you advance or retard any of the base maps with the controller, you move the entire set of map controlled curves up or down.<

:wink: