May 09, 2024, 10:15:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Slip on mufflers ?

Started by motorhogman, February 26, 2017, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

Well, they do have a race proven baffle that increases torque and horsepower....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on February 26, 2017, 08:17:13 AM
Well, they do have a race proven baffle that increases torque and horsepower....

Ya  LOL  gotta love the race proven stuff..

The mufflers I have on the bike now are from day 1, now over 16 years old. Chrome isn't in great shape and sounding "raspy" for lack of a tech term. What ever packing they had I'm pretty sure is gone.

Just thinking about replacing them

Hossamania

Quote from: motorhogman on February 26, 2017, 08:42:12 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 26, 2017, 08:17:13 AM

Ya  LOL  gotta love the race proven stuff..

The mufflers I have on the bike now are from day 1, now over 16 years old. Chrome isn't in great shape and sounding "raspy" for lack of a tech term. What ever packing they had I'm pretty sure is gone.

Just thinking about replacing them

They are very affordable, might be worth the risk. Could sell them for a slight loss if they are crap.

calif phil

I  doubt Chinese mufflers would be very good quality. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwr2tow

February 26, 2017, 12:16:50 PM #5 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:34:52 PM by pwr2tow

BUBBIE

:speaker:

Might be OK.... The price is good IF THEY ARE..... Swap-meet should get Close to your money back IF you don't like them...

Bet they don't make that Nice****** Trump trump trump sounding notes like my V&H do...  :SM: 

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

motorhogman

Quote from: calif phil on February 26, 2017, 11:09:55 AM
I  doubt Chinese mufflers would be very good quality. 

Yea... I have to agree...I didn't see they were made in China. I do my best to not buy stuff made over there. But my iPhone was made in China and that works good..  LOL  maybe the only thing ever.

motorhogman

Quote from: BUBBIE on February 26, 2017, 12:31:03 PM
:speaker:

Might be OK.... The price is good IF THEY ARE..... Swap-meet should get Close to your money back IF you don't like them...

Bet they don't make that Nice****** Trump trump trump sounding notes like my V&H do...  :SM: 

signed....BUBBIE

Trump Trump Trump or Thump Thump Thump.. That's how a friends RK sounded with V&H   

Wish there were swap meets around here.. Haven't found one worth going to in over 10 years here in SC.

Rockinham NC has one but $40.00 a head to get in..

Tynker

Earl "Tynker" Riviere

motorhogman

Quote from: Tynker on February 26, 2017, 03:52:22 PM
Quote from: motorhogman on February 26, 2017, 07:51:51 AM
Looking for opinions. Are these to cheap to be any good..? 

Looking at the baffle maybe very loud ?

http://www.demonscycle.com/4-harley-davidson-flh-flt-dresser-road-king-exhaust-mufflers-chrome-with-swiss-cheese-billet-tips.html
I have these on my ''14 RK, and am VERY happy with them. They are well made, and sound just like my friends Ultra with Rinehearts;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUTAZU-4-Roaring-Series-MF-02-Slip-On-Mufflers-Exhaust-1995-2016-Harley-Touring/391576210486?rt=nc&_soffid=5014066109&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Thanx for the reply.  I'm on the fence...Not something I really need, just would like to have.  Iv'e never heard Rinehears that were not wicked loud. I guess that's all a matter of opinion.  I didn't think drag pipes were to loud when I was a kid LOL   TY again. appreciate you  sharing your experience.

Tynker

Rinehearts are NOT very loud, they have a nice mellow sound.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

jmorton10

Quote from: Tynker on February 26, 2017, 04:24:30 PM

I agree

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

motorhogman

February 27, 2017, 06:09:24 AM #13 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:29:21 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: Tynker on February 26, 2017, 04:24:30 PM

OK Tynker, Thanx,  So by your ear those inexpensive slip ons are not real obnoxious loud ? 

Looking into them from the end in the picture they look "straight" through.. ? 

I like for people to know I'm approaching but not from 2 mi away. 

TY for the input as well John

Ancient

You haven't told us what header you are using? Lot's of slip ons out there are nice and mellow with a catted header, but fairly obnoxious with an open header to my ear anyhow. Course I'm old and intolerant.

I tried Crusher Mellows with an open header and they were to damn loud for me.

Greg

motorhogman

Quote from: Ancient on February 27, 2017, 09:17:33 AM
You haven't told us what header you are using? Lot's of slip ons out there are nice and mellow with a catted header, but fairly obnoxious with an open header to my ear anyhow. Course I'm old and intolerant.

I tried Crusher Mellows with an open header and they were to damn loud for me.

2001 FLHT no cat stock head pipes.  LOL  Yea.. old and intolerant here to. Not to mention cheap.. 

Tynker

Well to clear this sound thing up, I have a 2014 Road King, with stock catted head pipe. These slip on's do have a nice mellow sound, fitted to my bike. JMHO, YOMV
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

The Fuel Moto Jackpot Slip-on Classic mufflers are $199. Just throwing them out there for a comparison on pricing and known quality.

motorhogman

Quote from: Tynker on February 27, 2017, 05:16:43 PM
Well to clear this sound thing up, I have a 2014 Road King, with stock catted head pipe. These slip on's do have a nice mellow sound, fitted to my bike. JMHO, YOMV

Thanx Tynker . 

motorhogman

February 28, 2017, 06:16:11 AM #19 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:27:57 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: Hossamania on February 27, 2017, 07:54:59 PM
The Fuel Moto Jackpot Slip-on Classic mufflers are $199. Just throwing them out there for a comparison on pricing and known quality.

Thanx  Hoss, I'll take a look

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23837732-jackpot-classic-slip-on-mufflers-slash-down.html#!year%3D2001%7C%7Cmake%3DHARLEY-DAVIDSON%7C%7Cmodel%3DTOURING%20ELECTRA%20GLIDE%20STANDARD%20FLHT

They look good, and baffles can be changed.

smoserx1

February 28, 2017, 06:26:48 AM #20 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:37:22 AM by smoserx1
Here is a thought.  Those mufflers you are interested in IMO will be fairly loud, especially if you have had a stock exhaust system on since 2001.  Anything you can see straight through like that will be loud, that is just the way it is.  Of course loud is relative.  Stock mufflers used since 2010 on touring bikes have a pretty decent sound when used on older bikes lacking cats in the headers.  These newer mufflers don't have as much guts as they used to.  Anyway here are some part numbers for you to consider:

65538-09, 65846-10A (straight ends)

65547-09A, 65354-10A (slash up ends)

65592-09A, 64900016A (slash down ends)

I believe I have the ends straight here, not sure.  But if you go to ebay and search for "Harley touring mufflers" you will usually find lots of them for sale dirt  cheap.  They are usually new "take offs"  I am running a set of the straight ended ones (which will look  and fit just like the ones that came with your 2001 FLHT) and I am very pleased with the way they look and sound.

motorhogman

February 28, 2017, 06:35:42 AM #21 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:40:25 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: smoserx1 on February 28, 2017, 06:26:48 AM
Here is a thought.  Those mufflers you are interested in IMO will be fairly loud, especially if you have had a stock exhaust system on since 2001.  Anything you can see straight through like that will be loud, that is just the way it is.  Of course loud is relative.  Stock mufflers used since 2010 on touring bikes have a pretty decent sound when used on older bikes lacking cats in the headers.  These newer mufflers don't have as much guts as they used to.  Anyway here are some part numbers for you to consider:

65538-09, 65846-10A (straight ends)

65547-09A, 65354-10A (slash down ends)

65592-09A, 64900016A (slash up ends)

I believe I have the ends straight here, not sure.  But if you go to ebay and search for "Harley touring exhaust" you will usually find lots of them for sale dirt  cheap.  They are usually new "take offs"  I am running a set of the straight ended ones (which will look  and fit just like the ones that came with your 2001 FLHT) and I am very pleased with the way they look and sound.

Thanx smoserx1,   I'm not running stock mufflers,  The ones I have on were installed at the dealer before I took delivery of the bike. Stockers are on the shelf.  They said the ones they put on were "Harley Davidson Performance Mufflers"   They are much louder than stock..
The reasons I'm thinking about changing them is cosmetic and they sound "raspy". I don't imagine there is much if any packing left after 98,000 mi.  They are pretty loud at 70 mph & 3,000 rpm running next to a guard rail or under a bridge.

The mufflers I have on are also stamped for 1340 cc HD motorcycles only.

I'll take a look at those PN's you posted..   

IronMike113

I'd got with those ^^^^  before the 169.00 mufflers I have tried some very similar to those, the  Chrome started turning brown they have no packing in the ones that I had tried
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

motorhogman

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 28, 2017, 01:53:38 PM

I'd got with those ^^^^  before the 169.00 mufflers I have tried some very similar to those, the  Chrome started turning brown they have no packing in the ones that I had tried

Thanx Mke,  Think I'm shying away from those swiss cheese ones.. Leaning toward the Fuel Moto or something similar.

Just looked at some DNA megaphones on ebay, 129.00 New but scratched on one side of body.. Would have bought but the shipping was almost $50.00   

motorhogman

IronMike113

The only thing I would be concerned about would be the Baffle size so it would tune decent  :SM:
Some of those might sound good but don't really help the curve,most of the time Tuners have a tried and trued system that works, And the more engine PREFORMANCE you go after the more important the exhaust becomes........  :wink:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

rhuff

Doesn't Fuel Moto offer a set of slip ons for $200?  I think I'd go that route. 

Hossamania

Quote from: rhuff on February 28, 2017, 05:21:48 PM

calif phil

The DNA are most likely made at the same place as the demon mufflers

How about asking in the swap meet section here for a quality used set?

PoorUB

I ran Fullsac recore kits on my 2010 and will go that route again.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

motorhogman

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 28, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about would be the Baffle size so it would tune decent  :SM:
Some of those might sound good but don't really help the curve,most of the time Tuners have a tried and trued system that works, And the more engine PREFORMANCE you go after the more important the exhaust becomes........  :wink:

Thanx Mike,  this bike has never been tuned. Carb is still sealed, ignition and cams are stock.Only mods are K&N air filter and slip on mufflers. It has always performed well for my use. 90% 2 up touring. , I don't run it hard, especially now  getting close to the 100,000 mi mark..

motorhogman

March 01, 2017, 06:09:06 AM #31 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:38:32 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: calif phil on February 28, 2017, 05:50:08 PM
The DNA are most likely made at the same place as the demon mufflers

How about asking in the swap meet section here for a quality used set?

Thanx Phil,  I looked at was there but didn't ask. 

The problem I'm seeing is shipping cost depending where they are shipping from.. Close destinations are around $25.00   and further out as high as $70.00 

Kind takes the thrill out of a good deal on a used set..

I think I saw the DNA Megaphones are USA made.. Looked at so many now I could be wrong.  There is a knock off of that same pipe for around $30.00 less made in Taiwan.

Went back and looked around, they are made in the US

DNA SPECIALTY, INC
Manufacturer Part Number:   
M-TP-1004
Finish:   CHROME   Country//Region of Manufacture:   UNTIED STATES

Megaphones have a special place in my heart.. LOL    1960 CH with magneto ignition. with upswept megaphones..

motorhogman

Quote from: PoorUB on February 28, 2017, 07:02:19 PM

Thanx PoorUB for that suggestion, I have looked at fullsac. Just to eliminate the crossover and make true duals.

Flhfxd

I bought a pair of these chinese slip ons couple of years ago. Didnt need them, just always wanted a pair of turn outs. Not too loud and pretty good chrome for the money. $165 as I recall. But they cracked. Had to throw em out after 2 years.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

wolf_59

Quote from: motorhogman on March 01, 2017, 06:11:25 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on February 28, 2017, 07:02:19 PM

Thanx PoorUB for that suggestion, I have looked at fullsac. Just to eliminate the crossover and make true duals.
PM me I have a Fullsac tru dual conversion that I took off while doing my rocker gasket leak/rebuild and a set of 06 stock mufflers with cats removed and Howitzer end caps if your interested

apendejo

I have to agree with the previous posts about the 2010 and later OEM mufflers on an older bike.
I am running 2010 takeoffs on my '03 UltraClassic and they sound just as good as the old Kerker SE 98B's that I took off because of rust and scratches.

motorhogman

Quote from: apendejo on March 01, 2017, 01:39:53 PM
I have to agree with the previous posts about the 2010 and later OEM mufflers on an older bike.
I am running 2010 takeoffs on my '03 UltraClassic and they sound just as good as the old Kerker SE 98B's that I took off because of rust and scratches.

Thanx for the reply apendejo,  The more I look at those megaphones and read review on them it's all positive..Better I like them.. Made in USA to.. I priced some late model OEM's on Ebay and did not find any deals..  I have a set of OEM mufflers and just not liking the look.  They were on the bike when I went to pick it up new Sept. 11 2000.. I rode it and turned around and had the dealer put the mufflers I now have on . Never made it home with the stock mufflers. Always loved Fishtails and megaphones back in the day..   Ya I'm old as Dirt..well refined dirt 

rhuff

Quote from: Hossamania on February 28, 2017, 05:27:28 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.  I obviously must have missed it when reading thru the comments. 

Hossamania

Quote from: rhuff on March 01, 2017, 06:19:17 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 28, 2017, 05:27:28 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.  I obviously must have missed it when reading thru the comments.

I'm here for ya!

calif phil

Quote from: motorhogman on March 01, 2017, 03:26:46 PM

Thanx for the reply apendejo,  The more I look at those megaphones and read review on them it's all positive..Better I like them.. Made in USA to.. I priced some late model OEM's on Ebay and did not find any deals..  I have a set of OEM mufflers and just not liking the look.  They were on the bike when I went to pick it up new Sept. 11 2000.. I rode it and turned around and had the dealer put the mufflers I now have on . Never made it home with the stock mufflers. Always loved Fishtails and megaphones back in the day..   Ya I'm old as Dirt..well refined dirt

If you want a set of take offs, I have some late model mufflers you can have for free.  Just pay the UPS.

motorhogman

Quote from: calif phil on March 02, 2017, 06:21:44 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on March 01, 2017, 03:26:46 PM

If you want a set of take offs, I have some late model mufflers you can have for free.  Just pay the UPS.

Thanx Phil,  very much appreciate the offer. I think I'm going to go with the DNA megaphones.