Started by joe_lyons, February 28, 2017, 05:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

prodrag1320

joe_lyons

Sunny Jim

So what is the diagnosis? Has anyone else seen this?

HD/Wrench

:sick: WOW that is not good. Hope this is a uncommon thing to happen.

joe_lyons

Looks like a shim or steel barrier would help with this.

HD/Wrench

Quick Joe re pack some shovel head shims and be the first to market with a rocker are fix..   :hyst:

NCTURBOS

-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

wfolarry

This was happening on the first bikes built. They were breaking when they were taking them apart to do upgrades. The MOCO knows about this & the problem should have been fixed by now. Seen a few broken but they had to send them back so I wasn't able to get my hands on one. Or more.  :angry:

rbabos

February 28, 2017, 11:12:59 AM #9 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:16:24 AM by rbabos
Quote from: joe_lyons on February 28, 2017, 06:21:34 AM
Joe: Is this the front or rear exhaust rocker?
Ron

joe_lyons

Quote from: rbabos on February 28, 2017, 11:12:59 AM
Quote from: joe_lyons on February 28, 2017, 06:21:34 AM
Joe: Is this the front or rear exhaust rocker?
Ron
Looks to be a rear from the pic.

joe_lyons

Sunny Jim

I bought my M8 roadglide in November 2016. Will there be a recall to have them inspected?

rbabos

Quote from: Sunny Jim on February 28, 2017, 03:24:07 PM
I bought my M8 roadglide in November 2016. Will there be a recall to have them inspected?
I doubt MoCo would issue that and pay any dealer for inspections. Only if something breaks or is a safety concern. Sometimes I think even then they won't unless they get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on February 28, 2017, 04:24:44 PM
Quote from: Sunny Jim on February 28, 2017, 03:24:07 PM
I doubt MoCo would issue that and pay any dealer for inspections. Only if something breaks or is a safety concern. Sometimes I think even then they won't unless they get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.
Ron

:agree:

kd

It looks more like a machining error to me. It appears the radius from where the rocker has worn into the casting is larger but not yet as deep as the machined thrust surface. It may not have been cut wide enough.  :nix:
KD

rbabos

Quote from: kd on March 02, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
It looks more like a machining error to me. It appears the radius from where the rocker has worn into the casting is larger but not yet as deep as the machined thrust surface. It may not have been cut wide enough.  :nix:
Yes, I noticed that in the first pic. Likely will be stable once worn to the full contact. Until then,  rocker could have been too tight on end play and self machining. :hyst:
Ron

No Cents

hummm...I wonder where the missing metal fragments off that rocker arm stand went?  :potstir:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Quote from: No Cents on March 02, 2017, 06:23:55 PM
   hummm...I wonder where the missing metal fragments off that rocker arm stand went?  :potstir:

Ray
No place good. :wink: Some of it will just hang around in the head under the rocker. The rest, worse case, gouging the scavenge rotor then if picked up from the sump the feed rotor and likely stopping at the filter.
Ron

Don D

Unless the filter is 30 micron rated. Not the case with the stock element :up: :wink:
Going past the element will send the crud to the lifter(s), the next filter

rbabos

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 03, 2017, 08:15:31 AM
Unless the filter is 30 micron rated. Not the case with the stock element :up: :wink:
Going past the element will send the crud to the lifter(s), the next filter
I didn't want to open that can of worms again.  :hyst:
Ron

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Actually, a friend had called looking for some parts and this subject came up. Specifically he's beginning to see this more often than not. He thinks its because the Rocker moved two valves and it no sturdier than the TC which moves just one causing pressure and subsequent marks. Just his idea mind you. Nothing "official" from the MoCo. Although they know about the issue.
Tom

psyshack

This might well be whats causing my M8 King to have rattling head noise. Sounds like a worn out twin cam. Going in this sat.

topcat3815

I was at T-mans yesterday and they had a M8 head with a rocker arm  pedestal cracked at the bolt hole.